Thinking of Italy (1 Viewer)

Sep 28, 2010
Castletownbere West Cork
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
11 years
If you are thinking of Italy as a destination please read about the pickpockets and how to prevent becoming a victim. In Rome they are so blatant it is unreal. Mo had her purse stolen from her zipped jacket pocket. We believe outside St Peters Square. Within minutes they had managed to run up £2500 on her credit card. The Police were worse than useless and we were sent from pillar to post until we got angry and insisted they take a report.
The next day I was targeted twice on the Metro once by a group of 12 year olds who surrounded me when getting on the tube blocking my way. I am 5’ 10” and nearly 17stone. luckily I realised what was happening and was able to push them off. The same thing happened to me again the next day by an older group I barged my way through them one was still trying to hold on to me until he realise the rest had jumped off the tube and quickly got off himself. Nobody cared. I informed the people who work on the metro who told me they knew about the problem and I should contact the police. I said you got a phone you contact them. I just got a blank look.

The advice from the web sites will be invaluable not just for Italy but for any other Country. What takes you by surprise is the way they do it in front of everyone. After a while you can spot them yourself so the Police could easily deal with it.
Some advice there is a lot more if you look

· Carry only one day's worth of money in your wallet or purse. If your wallet or purse is stolen, it will be inconvenient, but it won't ruin your trip.
· Get a money belt, neck pouch, leg wallet, or other under-the-clothes money holder In it keep your passport, your "big" money, and credit and ATM cards you won't need that day. If you need to access it during the day, step into a restroom, changing room, or somewhere out of view - don't let people see where you are keeping your goodies.
· NO wallets in back pockets.
· Purses should be worn across the body and in front of you.
· At restaurants, keep purses, backpacks, and cameras/camera bags on the table, in your lap, or between your feet on the floor with a leg through the strap. DON'T hang them on the chair or put them on the seat next to you.
· Always stay in physical contact with all your possessions at all times when in public - suitcases, backpacks, purses, everything.
· Beware of diversions - a scuffle or argument, someone bumping you, someone asking you for directions (you're a tourist, why would you know?), someone random engaging you in a conversation (you're one of a million tourists, so you aren't exactly exotic), someone trying to "help" you. While you're distracted, their partner may be cleaning you out.
· In crowds and on mass transit, wear backpacks on your front.
· Be alert to what's going on around you, ESPECIALLY at train stations and on and around the metro/buses, in crowds, and around major tourist attractions. The Colosseum area is famous for pickpockets, as is Bus 64 that runs between the train station and the Vatican.
· As was added below by I_Heart_Venice, also be alert when shopping, especially at open air markets, and when you have your wallet out to pay for something. "Pay close attention to your surroundings, particularly when you are least inclined to pay attention to your surroundings." Good advice indeed.

:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Sad but true, good advice.

But don't be put off Italy, maybe avoid Rome. They nearly got us on the metro. Never had a problem anywhere else.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
They never come near me, probably take one look and feel sorry for me. Arse hanging out my trousers, no watch jewellery camera or flash phone. Best thing is leave most cash and cards in safe in van. Passports down trousers. Dont be put off. BUSBY.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
I have never had any problem is it the way I look?

Attachments

• will_redfearn.jpg
    will_redfearn.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 11

Spottycatz

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Racodorm
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp
Still making mistakes! But they're not as costly.
Boy, for newbies like us, this all sounds so daunting!!:whatthe:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
We're heading to Rome later this year, so useful advice there, although have been in the past and had no trouble, but that was before the recession. Certainly keeping obvious valuables out of pockets and in hidden waist or neck wallets is sensible.

Another thing that never ceases to amaze me is how people with costly Canon and Nikon cameras wear makers' straps stating the exact make and model of the camera. They might as well just put a big price label on it saying "1200 Euros or more".

When my Canon arrived, the first thing I did was change the strap for a plain one and put black masking tape over the logos on the lens and camera body. I also keep it in a very plain cheap bag.

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Every large European has similar problems with pickpockets and scams, we we approached with the old ring trick in Paris a few years ago.
Walking down Oxford Street in London a good 15 years ago I pointed a group out to SWMBO who were about to tackle some young Japanese tourists (they were after rucksack contents). When I made it clear I was watching them they moved on - Eastern Europeans in a largish group.
So be aware everywhere. Jim's advice in his book is good, I don't have the link though.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Italy is a fantastic destination..
But we never stray further south than Pisa .. Up north the folk are fantastico !!!:thumb:

Deleted User
I was robbed last year in Pisa 1200 euros taken from my money belt, fortunately did'nt take my credit cards. It was definately a lesson learnt. The culprits I believe were eastern Europeans, why did the EU ever let them join. Just wait until next year when they flood into this country, claiming benefits and every other entitlement that european citizens can claim, while our government sits by with their fingers up their A***S.

spongy

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
The are generally "roma" (romanian gypsy thieves), they infest every country, and ruin those like Rome and Paris..................and they are packing their bags to come here later this year:thumb:

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
much the same in london eassten europeans south americans and romanians everywhere begging hustling selling fake gold rings

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
We do not get many here in sub tropical Derbyshire. BUSBY.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back