Thinking of Italy

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by mogbl, Mar 4, 2013.

1. mogbl

mogbl Funster

If you are thinking of Italy as a destination please read about the pickpockets and how to prevent becoming a victim. In Rome they are so blatant it is unreal. Mo had her purse stolen from her zipped jacket pocket. We believe outside St Peters Square. Within minutes they had managed to run up £2500 on her credit card. The Police were worse than useless and we were sent from pillar to post until we got angry and insisted they take a report.
    The next day I was targeted twice on the Metro once by a group of 12 year olds who surrounded me when getting on the tube blocking my way. I am 5’ 10” and nearly 17stone. luckily I realised what was happening and was able to push them off. The same thing happened to me again the next day by an older group I barged my way through them one was still trying to hold on to me until he realise the rest had jumped off the tube and quickly got off himself. Nobody cared. I informed the people who work on the metro who told me they knew about the problem and I should contact the police. I said you got a phone you contact them. I just got a blank look.

The advice from the web sites will be invaluable not just for Italy but for any other Country. What takes you by surprise is the way they do it in front of everyone. After a while you can spot them yourself so the Police could easily deal with it.
    Some advice there is a lot more if you look

· Carry only one day's worth of money in your wallet or purse. If your wallet or purse is stolen, it will be inconvenient, but it won't ruin your trip.
    · Get a money belt, neck pouch, leg wallet, or other under-the-clothes money holder In it keep your passport, your "big" money, and credit and ATM cards you won't need that day. If you need to access it during the day, step into a restroom, changing room, or somewhere out of view - don't let people see where you are keeping your goodies.
    · NO wallets in back pockets.
    · Purses should be worn across the body and in front of you.
    · At restaurants, keep purses, backpacks, and cameras/camera bags on the table, in your lap, or between your feet on the floor with a leg through the strap. DON'T hang them on the chair or put them on the seat next to you.
    · Always stay in physical contact with all your possessions at all times when in public - suitcases, backpacks, purses, everything.
    · Beware of diversions - a scuffle or argument, someone bumping you, someone asking you for directions (you're a tourist, why would you know?), someone random engaging you in a conversation (you're one of a million tourists, so you aren't exactly exotic), someone trying to "help" you. While you're distracted, their partner may be cleaning you out.
    · In crowds and on mass transit, wear backpacks on your front.
    · Be alert to what's going on around you, ESPECIALLY at train stations and on and around the metro/buses, in crowds, and around major tourist attractions. The Colosseum area is famous for pickpockets, as is Bus 64 that runs between the train station and the Vatican.
    · As was added below by I_Heart_Venice, also be alert when shopping, especially at open air markets, and when you have your wallet out to pay for something. "Pay close attention to your surroundings, particularly when you are least inclined to pay attention to your surroundings." Good advice indeed.

:thumb:

• Like Like x 4
  2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Sad but true, good advice.

But don't be put off Italy, maybe avoid Rome. They nearly got us on the metro. Never had a problem anywhere else.

3. busby

busby Funster

They never come near me, probably take one look and feel sorry for me. Arse hanging out my trousers, no watch jewellery camera or flash phone. Best thing is leave most cash and cards in safe in van. Passports down trousers. Dont be put off. BUSBY.

• Like Like x 1
  4. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

I have never had any problem is it the way I look?

Attached Files:

5. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

We had our campervan nicked in Rome 11 years ago.....

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

6. Spottycatz

Spottycatz Read Only Funster

Boy, for newbies like us, this all sounds so daunting!!:Eek!:

7. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

We're heading to Rome later this year, so useful advice there, although have been in the past and had no trouble, but that was before the recession. Certainly keeping obvious valuables out of pockets and in hidden waist or neck wallets is sensible.

Another thing that never ceases to amaze me is how people with costly Canon and Nikon cameras wear makers' straps stating the exact make and model of the camera. They might as well just put a big price label on it saying "1200 Euros or more".

When my Canon arrived, the first thing I did was change the strap for a plain one and put black masking tape over the logos on the lens and camera body. I also keep it in a very plain cheap bag.

8. grumps147

grumps147 Funster

Every large European has similar problems with pickpockets and scams, we we approached with the old ring trick in Paris a few years ago.
    Walking down Oxford Street in London a good 15 years ago I pointed a group out to SWMBO who were about to tackle some young Japanese tourists (they were after rucksack contents). When I made it clear I was watching them they moved on - Eastern Europeans in a largish group.
    So be aware everywhere. Jim's advice in his book is good, I don't have the link though.

9. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Italy is a fantastic destination..
    But we never stray further south than Pisa .. Up north the folk are fantastico !!!:thumb:

10. spongy

spongy Read Only Funster

I was robbed last year in Pisa 1200 euros taken from my money belt, fortunately did'nt take my credit cards. It was definately a lesson learnt. The culprits I believe were eastern Europeans, why did the EU ever let them join. Just wait until next year when they flood into this country, claiming benefits and every other entitlement that european citizens can claim, while our government sits by with their fingers up their A***S.

spongy

11. johnp10

johnp10 Funster

That's pickpocketting with style, but how do you keep a campervan in your pocket?

Just realised....it's one of Buttons' old ones?:Wink:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  12. darklord

darklord Read Only Funster

The are generally "roma" (romanian gypsy thieves), they infest every country, and ruin those like Rome and Paris..................and they are packing their bags to come here later this year:thumb:

13. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

much the same in london eassten europeans south americans and romanians everywhere begging hustling selling fake gold rings

14. busby

busby Funster

We do not get many here in sub tropical Derbyshire. BUSBY.