Thinking of getting fixed Satellite (1 Viewer)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi
Just looking for some opinions on what is the best system to go for i have been looking at the maxview crank up and the camos and camos plus we have one of the systems from aldi but struggle to get signal with small dish in parts of Scotland and as we like to wildcamp not keen on setting up a tripod.

Also can you tell me would i be able to fit this system in the same hole as the status on that works from my wardrobe.

Just so you know we go to France,Germany and Belgium and allthought we dont tend to watch tv when abroad would be nice for the dark nights in this country.

Gerry

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Personally I like the Maxview
if your status is mounted at least 6" away from any wood work or wall. it may fit, you may need to enlarge the hole
I would leave the Status in place and find another location, especialy one were you can see the TV when tuning in:thumb:

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Geo

Might be a silly question but why does it need to be 6 inches from a wall i assume for the winder handle.

Gerry.

P.S.

Forgot to ask will the coax wiring thats in the van be ok or will i need to upgrade it

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
If the hole for the status is by the wall in the wardrobe and far enough away from the outside wall then you may be able to use a globesat through the roof system

Link Removed

you could couple it with a 12v digibox from maplin

Link Removed

As for the internal coax wiring for the status, I've used it in mine for the satellite down feed, but perceived wisdom will no doubt say that it should be changed.

all the best

Sorry used link from the dark side :Doh:

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
it isnt the internal winder you need to consider, although that needs to be where it'll fit easily, its the dish itself.

maxview recomend something like 100mm from any obstruction when folded down and obviously nothing should stop it rotating when erected.

at least 100mm from the roof edge when folded, and they recommend folding towards the rear for aerodynamic reasons....fold it the other way and it'll blow off:Eeek:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Geo

Might be a silly question but why does it need to be 6 inches from a wall i assume for the winder handle.

Gerry.

P.S.

Forgot to ask will the coax wiring thats in the van be ok or will i need to upgrade it

its not so much the winder but the bezel/locking mechanism that needs room.

you should replace the existing coax with good quality digital satellite coax.
it isnt expensive.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Laneside

Hi
We have the Maxview crankup but please be careful with the 6'' guideline as the folded down dish outsde would overhang the side of your van by a goodly lump when you were travelling.
Much better to make a new hole --after careful consideration so that the raised dish or more to the point the LNB when being rotated does not foul on any roof vents when open or closed

Failings of the Maxview are a feeble braking system that does not prevent the dish from blowing around in strong gusts of wind.

My failing is I can always park the van too close to trees that prevent a signat- must walk around site first compass in hand and feel a prat or observe where the sun is at 10.00am and ensure a clear view in that direction ( in this country at least)
Cheers Alan

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Failings of the Maxview are a feeble braking system that does not prevent the dish from blowing around in strong gusts of wind.

Cheers Alan

Hi Alan

I thought I was the only one to complain about this problem.. I'm glad you agree..

see thread: Link Removed

There are crank ups on the market that are more tolerant to wind, this is not an opinion, I have seen Alden and Camos dishes still in use while my cranky had long ago been put to bed..

The Maxview gives excellent reception and is easy install and use.. shame about the flimsy brake.. :Doh:

jim

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi Alan

I have a Camos Flat Sat Cranky and its the dogs doo da's. I bought it after reading all of the posts on this forum and after speaking and writing to Maxview who werent particularley convincing.

We get great reception and have not had any problems with the dish moving in the wind.

Cheers

Jim
:Smile:

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi All

Thanks for the replys will do a wee bit more research before i part with cash and like the look of the globesat or camos so it dosent get blown over.

Gerry

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
We had a maxview crank up on our caravan a few moons ago - reception was good - not always easy to find the satellites - whilst they have degrees marked on the system it is only accurate if the van is totally level. The biggest negative though was wind (not mine before pappajohn gets hold of it) the slightest wind would cause it to rock and make an intrusive noise and the stronger the wind the greater the noise until you would be forced to wind it down. Fair play to Maxview I sent it back and having examined it when it was 4 years old they said it was not up to standard and should not be knocking and replaced all the bearings afterwards it was better but not perfect - on our 5 er we have had an auto Camos square dish fitted as that was promised to give a far better picture and not to rattle in the wind - it is perfect - no noise - good signal and very little degradation in the rain . Would I have a Maxview again - no I think there are better ones out there now but at 60 cm dish it would give signals where others might not.

Last edited:

RoadProAndy

Free Member
Nov 4, 2007
Peckham, in London
Funster No
Exp
11 years
Camos crank-up

Good to hear that Landy Lover is pleased with the Camos crank-up. There is a Camos model we call the "Plus" which has a bigger dish than the standard model and which can be skewed which gives better performance into Spain and other southern areas of Europe. In fact, although I haven't tested it (yet), I expect it to give just as or almost as good performance as a regular 60cm dish system.

RoadProAndy (from RoadPro)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The biggest negative though was wind (not mine before pappajohn gets hold of it) the slightest wind would cause it to rock and make an intrusive noise and the stronger the wind the greater the noise until you would be forced to wind it down..

think you're mistaking me for scotjimland, landy.:Doh:::bigsmile:

no problem with mine mate.:thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I have a maxview semiauto dish if your interested in purchasing it, I am getting a camos dome tomorrow.

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
after reading all the threads on the subject of dishes ,i went for the camos plus .
there was only one space it would fit on the roof when in fold down ,so double check were to fit it .if it did fit in the hole in wardrobe will you beable to yo turn handle when it is full of the boss clothes .the maplin box will also work with any dish its nice and small and will hide away somewhere .one thing to think about is can you reach to the inside roof of you van were it is to be fitted to reach Handel .

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Thanks again everyone thinging more with the camos or plus now will have a good look at them over coming weeks and see if i can see a fitted one.

Gerry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back