Thinking of changing to a panel van. (1 Viewer)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I thought I told you you can have a RHD when I put you others in touch....
Every time I contacted one by Email I never got any response at all, perhaps most Gernan dealers do not have any English speakers, but I doubt that. Either that or they did not want to upset the Factory or UK dealers.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Mel is correct van sealed to the inside unlike some where there are gaps around fridge. If nervous fit a cheap carbon monoxide alarm. Ive slept in ours in snow in Northern Spain and never needed to block roof lights. check out the videos on youtube to see how they are built....
I would have thought every MH should have a carbon monoxide alarm. Perhaps not?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I would have thought every MH should have a carbon monoxide alarm. Perhaps not?
I have my own gas sniffer which seriously detects leaks. Had the gas tanks professionally installed by gas safe fitter. Yes I agree an alarm cheap and a must. Being an ex health and safety advisor I prefer a regime of regular inspections:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: DBK

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Went to the show today. Thanks Minxy Girl(y). We found ourselves looking at ih panel vans. They looked great quality and seemed to have more room due to the sliding door being replaced with normal caravan style door. May even consider one when we change. Any opinions on them would be great (y)

IH are very good and well built motor homes. But the conversion to replace the sliding door or the conversion they do to remove the conventional rear doors looks blooming awful .

If you are going to do fairly large jobs like that on what are likely the most expensive PVCs then at least get the quality up where it should be !

I would have an IH in a heartbeat but never one where the doors have been buggered about with. The big side door is one of the main benefits on PVCs and what draws a lot of people to them.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Went to the show today. Thanks Minxy Girl(y). We found ourselves looking at ih panel vans. They looked great quality and seemed to have more room due to the sliding door being replaced with normal caravan style door. May even consider one when we change. Any opinions on them would be great (y)

I have just bought one - remind me in three months time and I hopefully will be able to answer your question on IH. (y):)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
IH are very good and well built motor homes. But the conversion to replace the sliding door or the conversion they do to remove the conventional rear doors looks blooming awful .

If you are going to do fairly large jobs like that on what are likely the most expensive PVCs then at least get the quality up where it should be !

I would have an IH in a heartbeat but never one where the doors have been buggered about with. The big side door is one of the main benefits on PVCs and what draws a lot of people to them.
There is a german van that both slides and has internal door as well.

Deleted User
For us the slidey door is an advantage on the IH, as is the double opening doors at the back.

Although IH can replace both with a hartel door at the side, and single "boot" at the back, we chose to stick with the standard doors.

With regards to CO alarms, IH fit them as standard (as well as gas and smoke alarms)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
There is a german van that both slides and has internal door as well.

Ere Judge...Are you a German ?? I reckon you must be.. You can admit you know we don't shoot you lot anymore ... Well not often.. :D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Ere Judge...Are you a German ?? I reckon you must be.. You can admit you know we don't shoot you lot anymore ... Well not often.. :D
He does have a funny accent I believe and from over the water ... but not that way!

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Irish..descended from..kings can't you tell:)

Got the family crest to prove it...

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
For us the slidey door is an advantage on the IH, as is the double opening doors at the back.

Although IH can replace both with a hartel door at the side, and single "boot" at the back, we chose to stick with the standard doors.

With regards to CO alarms, IH fit them as standard (as well as gas and smoke alarms)

Gas alarm ? I thought Co2 and smoke covered that ? Not sure though...

Deleted User
Gas alarm ? I thought Co2 and smoke covered that ? Not sure though...

Gas alarm detects lpg leak
CO alarm detects Carbon Monoxide

Both positioned low down (both gasses heavier than air)

Smoke alarm detects products of combustion (positioned high)

Smoke alarms come in different types which often lead to confusion (ie optical, ionisation, or CO) a CO smoke detector goes on the ceiling as it's designed to detect CO in a fire situation. (Most smoke detectors are ionisation, or optical)

MannClan

Free Member
Dec 5, 2015
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
coachbuild
Exp
approx 2003
Hi fragle, we bought an IH630RL last year with the IH rear lift up door rather than panel van doors at the back. spent 10 days in Scotland and a month on the continent. the week we got back I asked our supplier to buy it back. the finish and interior are great but we got totally fed up making up the beds and having to move the cushions to the front of the van - which meant in the mornings there was no room to sit if you happened to be the first one up. also the shower was way below expectations, really really hated getting showered or washed in the drop down sink. as I said cannot fault the finish or the look of the van (got some very admiring looks in france) but PVC's ain't for us.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Your right they aren't for everyone. But the build and finish at ih is better than a lot of Pvc's .
Though insulation is still a bit week. But then again so are a lot of other motorhomes. Not just PVC s
When Ralph built Pug, he copied a lot from the ih. But he put all the water tanks and the waste tanks under the van. Our U shape lounge bed boxes are empty. Plenty room for back cushions.
We have ours set up as single beds too. If we're touring daily. We often leave the back cushions under , and the beds made up anyway.
We copied the drop down sink thing , but it's a big one. Almost the full width of the room. ( A lot better to wash in than those showy glass bowls that are neither use nor ornament IMO. ) Trigger shower, wet room, is a compromise . But worth the extra space in the rest of the van.
The fact we have the standard thin grey silver backed stick on insulation , plus Kingspan and sheep's wool , is a bonus. We also covered all the metal inside with veltrim. As we'd been warned that the bare metal caused condensation , off other PVC owners.
We're so glad we went down the PVC route. It suits our type of on the move camping. To a T.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Hi fragle, we bought an IH630RL last year with the IH rear lift up door rather than panel van doors at the back. spent 10 days in Scotland and a month on the continent. the week we got back I asked our supplier to buy it back. the finish and interior are great but we got totally fed up making up the beds and having to move the cushions to the front of the van - which meant in the mornings there was no room to sit if you happened to be the first one up. also the shower was way below expectations, really really hated getting showered or washed in the drop down sink. as I said cannot fault the finish or the look of the van (got some very admiring looks in france) but PVC's ain't for us.
Thanks for the information. As said earlier in thread we are all different. I have reservations about PVC's. The ih looks good but practical experience beats looks. We have a width issue parking at home but not sure I want to compromise the van

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Probably the very best van conversion will only be found on a Merc 609, 709 or 711 where the full width and height can be taken advantage of plus the fact they are completely bomb proof in the mechanical department fitted with the Bremen long stroke engine. Like hens teeth to get hold of.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back