Thinking of changing to a panel van.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Chaumo, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Chaumo

Chaumo Funster

Specifically a Carthago Malibu 640 LE. The points I need clarifying about PVCs in general are:
    * How insulated are they for winter touring and vulnerable to draughts?
    * They are available on a light or a maxi chassis. Which would be better and why?
    Looking forward to your observations. Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Stroppy Bird

Stroppy Bird Funster

How insulated are they - this will depend on the manufacturer and how well they bother to insulate. I find the cold spot on ours is the rear door join (well I don't, Mr Stroppy does as he sleeps that side). Fixed that with a thermal curtain.

A maxi chassis can be uprated to over 3500 if it comes as 3500 standard. This will give cheaper tax but will also make you subject to any of the over 3500 restrictions - medical at 70, some routes not for over 3500 etc.

I've looked at the carthage malibu. Generally I liked it although there is no way that the shower screen would stand up to Mr Stroppys ham fistedness!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Insulation varies, particularly how tanks are fitted and insulated. Globe car are good for winter touring by all accounts.

I would go for the Maxi if you can as it doesn't cost much and potentially gives you the opportunity to upgrade the GVW if needed relatively painlessly.

4. normanandsue

normanandsue Funster

We have downsized to a pvc, an Autosleeper and have found it to be well insulated, but there is no doubt it is draughty through the rear door seals. I am not aware of the spec of pvc you have suggested but if you are buying a reputable company's pvc the insulation should be ok. We have just returned from Spain where nights were cold and we were quite snug and never cold.
    Have realised thermal screens would have helped enourmously but you will probably be aware of this already

5. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

When we though about going to a PVC for the first time we were concerned about insulation in cold weather but also in hot weather as we have 3 dogs (also due to storage space), in fact we 'chickened' out and went for a Chausson coachbuilt instead!

We eventually took the plunge in 2012 and went for a nearly new Autocruise Accent (5.99) which allayed our fears as it was snug in the cold and cool in the summer so the insulation was very good! We changed last year to our current Globecar FamilyScout L which is longer at 6.39m with a bigger lounge which we wanted. You do get a bit of a draught through the rear doors but that's easily sorted with a long 'sausage' (think door draught excluder), or a flap of material, or curtains, so no big issue, other than that the only other draughts have been through the roof vents - some are made without the draught seal (or whatever its called) but that's the same with all of them, coachbuilt, A-class, PVC as it depends on what they've fitted - in ours I've made some insulated pads from the material that internal screens are made from, that fit snugly into the roof vent apertures to keep it snug at night.

The Accent was on the standard 3500kg chassis with 15" wheels whereas the Globecar is on the maxi chassis with 16" wheels which you DO notice when getting in via the cab doors ... an inch DOES make a difference! It does, however, have the benefit of you being less likely to ground out which we did do a couple of times with the Accent. We've also got the 148bhp engine as opposed to the 130bhp engine of the Accent and again we've noticed the difference in power (not that the Accent was slow!).

As ours is on the Maxi chassis we uprated it for very little cost from 3500kg to 4250kg (just a paper exercise - see my thread about it) so now we have a massive payload if we need it (no worry if we buy loads of stuff from car boot sales etc!), cheaper road tax and if we want it can be downrated in the future (although we're a long way from 70!).

I don't think I'd want to go for a PVC over 6m on a light chassis and only a 130bhp engine but I suppose it depends really on what the manufacturer of the one you want builds on.

6. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

Mines for sale (y)

7. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. normanandsue

normanandsue Funster

Minx, enjoyed your comments on the suitability of pvc, but am concerned about blocking vents on roof lights as these are safety features for the calor gas appliances, cooker, oven, water heater and heater. The handbooks clearly warn of the dangers of reducing ventilation :)

• Like Like x 2
  9. normanandsue

normanandsue Funster

CH just looked at your Malibou and noticed a feature that may not concern you but would put me off straight away. ......... the sliding hab door is on the right. If its not a problem OK but thought I would point it out in case it would concer you.

10. Milliemobile

Milliemobile Funster

We are on second pvc, 1st was a Shire Conversion, XLWB. We used it all year, in both UK and mainland Europe, no problems very cosy, including New Year in Scotland, it had a rear washroom across the van so didn't get draft from rear doors and insulated tanks.
    Current van is a V-line smaller at just 6m with a rear fixed bed. We don't have rear doors on this one just an exterior boot, so no draughts, again very cosy used all winter in UK with no problems.

Lin :)

11. Chaumo

Chaumo Funster

Thank you all for your contributions but this afternoon it has all become a bit academic. Carthago will now supply to order only in September / October and the vehicle will be a Euro VI engine with an additional £1700+ premium for the privilege. On top of that Carthago will be increasing prices across the range by 2% and on top of that because an order would be 7 months away, the dealer dropped the PX value by oodles of pounds.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Buy an import as far cheaper or look at Possl/Globecar great build quality and price (if imported). I have helped at least 6 members on here importing LHD/RHD. loads in stock in Germany have a look on: www.mobile.de

The Carthago more Glitzy but that where the comparison stops with Possl vans (Possl the parent company)

Eddie

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Stroppy Bird

Stroppy Bird Funster

Might be worth having a look at the Globecar Campscout which has the same sort of layout (albeit with a centre aisle shower). I think the campscout comes on the maxi chassis, which as Minxy Girl states can be uprated.

SMC at Newark are having a 'special event' in their Globecar showroom from 7th to 13th March. Their web ad states immediate delivery on some models. Might be worth a call if your heart is set on that layout.

I didn't trade in with them so don't know what they're like with that.

14. Chaumo

Chaumo Funster

Who am I to argue with a Stroppy Bird and a Minxy Girl. Think I may have a look at that event.

• Like Like x 1
  15. rolandrat

rolandrat Funster

Vans versus Coachbuilts are always a compromise. One of the main considerations is the toilet space and many van conversions are lacking in this area. Also passing space can be zero.

16. Charlie

Charlie Funster

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. lorger

lorger Funster

We have just went down the same road and bought a new Possl Roadcrusier same as Globecar Campscout with rear fixed singles or large double. I was away Sking last week with my daughter in Glenshee and it was very cold at night around -7 if I remember correctly and we were snug in the van, we left the thermostat just above 1 throughout the night as we found this just comfortable and the heating only came on about 5 am so van held its temp most of the night.
    We have the winter pack on ours and which includes insulation for the back doors and worked a treat last week. image.jpeg

View from inside you wouldn't know it was there apart from the fact you can't see the Windows
    image.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. Fragle

Fragle Funster

Went to the show today. Thanks Minxy Girl(y). We found ourselves looking at ih panel vans. They looked great quality and seemed to have more room due to the sliding door being replaced with normal caravan style door. May even consider one when we change. Any opinions on them would be great (y)

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

How do you ask for RHD, I know there were a load sent back and a german dealer had them but I do not know the details,

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

It's funny how we are all different. We like our PVC because it has a big sliding door which isn't obstructed by any bits of kitchen as they are in many others. It may not be the best use of space but it gives a great feeling of space.

• Like Like x 1