Thinking of changing to a panel van. (1 Viewer)

Chaumo

Free Member
Apr 21, 2015
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
A few years
Specifically a Carthago Malibu 640 LE. The points I need clarifying about PVCs in general are:
* How insulated are they for winter touring and vulnerable to draughts?
* They are available on a light or a maxi chassis. Which would be better and why?
Looking forward to your observations. Thanks.

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
How insulated are they - this will depend on the manufacturer and how well they bother to insulate. I find the cold spot on ours is the rear door join (well I don't, Mr Stroppy does as he sleeps that side). Fixed that with a thermal curtain.

A maxi chassis can be uprated to over 3500 if it comes as 3500 standard. This will give cheaper tax but will also make you subject to any of the over 3500 restrictions - medical at 70, some routes not for over 3500 etc.

I've looked at the carthage malibu. Generally I liked it although there is no way that the shower screen would stand up to Mr Stroppys ham fistedness!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Insulation varies, particularly how tanks are fitted and insulated. Globe car are good for winter touring by all accounts.

I would go for the Maxi if you can as it doesn't cost much and potentially gives you the opportunity to upgrade the GVW if needed relatively painlessly.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
We have downsized to a pvc, an Autosleeper and have found it to be well insulated, but there is no doubt it is draughty through the rear door seals. I am not aware of the spec of pvc you have suggested but if you are buying a reputable company's pvc the insulation should be ok. We have just returned from Spain where nights were cold and we were quite snug and never cold.
Have realised thermal screens would have helped enourmously but you will probably be aware of this already

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
When we though about going to a PVC for the first time we were concerned about insulation in cold weather but also in hot weather as we have 3 dogs (also due to storage space), in fact we 'chickened' out and went for a Chausson coachbuilt instead!

We eventually took the plunge in 2012 and went for a nearly new Autocruise Accent (5.99) which allayed our fears as it was snug in the cold and cool in the summer so the insulation was very good! We changed last year to our current Globecar FamilyScout L which is longer at 6.39m with a bigger lounge which we wanted. You do get a bit of a draught through the rear doors but that's easily sorted with a long 'sausage' (think door draught excluder), or a flap of material, or curtains, so no big issue, other than that the only other draughts have been through the roof vents - some are made without the draught seal (or whatever its called) but that's the same with all of them, coachbuilt, A-class, PVC as it depends on what they've fitted - in ours I've made some insulated pads from the material that internal screens are made from, that fit snugly into the roof vent apertures to keep it snug at night.

The Accent was on the standard 3500kg chassis with 15" wheels whereas the Globecar is on the maxi chassis with 16" wheels which you DO notice when getting in via the cab doors ... an inch DOES make a difference! It does, however, have the benefit of you being less likely to ground out which we did do a couple of times with the Accent. We've also got the 148bhp engine as opposed to the 130bhp engine of the Accent and again we've noticed the difference in power (not that the Accent was slow!).

As ours is on the Maxi chassis we uprated it for very little cost from 3500kg to 4250kg (just a paper exercise - see my thread about it) so now we have a massive payload if we need it (no worry if we buy loads of stuff from car boot sales etc!), cheaper road tax and if we want it can be downrated in the future (although we're a long way from 70!).

I don't think I'd want to go for a PVC over 6m on a light chassis and only a 130bhp engine but I suppose it depends really on what the manufacturer of the one you want builds on.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Mines for sale (y)

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Minx, enjoyed your comments on the suitability of pvc, but am concerned about blocking vents on roof lights as these are safety features for the calor gas appliances, cooker, oven, water heater and heater. The handbooks clearly warn of the dangers of reducing ventilation :)

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
CH just looked at your Malibou and noticed a feature that may not concern you but would put me off straight away. ......... the sliding hab door is on the right. If its not a problem OK but thought I would point it out in case it would concer you.

Deleted User
We are on second pvc, 1st was a Shire Conversion, XLWB. We used it all year, in both UK and mainland Europe, no problems very cosy, including New Year in Scotland, it had a rear washroom across the van so didn't get draft from rear doors and insulated tanks.
Current van is a V-line smaller at just 6m with a rear fixed bed. We don't have rear doors on this one just an exterior boot, so no draughts, again very cosy used all winter in UK with no problems.

Lin :)

OP
OP
Chaumo

Chaumo

Free Member
Apr 21, 2015
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
A few years
Thank you all for your contributions but this afternoon it has all become a bit academic. Carthago will now supply to order only in September / October and the vehicle will be a Euro VI engine with an additional £1700+ premium for the privilege. On top of that Carthago will be increasing prices across the range by 2% and on top of that because an order would be 7 months away, the dealer dropped the PX value by oodles of pounds.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Thank you all for your contributions but this afternoon it has all become a bit academic. Carthago will now supply to order only in September / October and the vehicle will be a Euro VI engine with an additional £1700+ premium for the privilege. On top of that Carthago will be increasing prices across the range by 2% and on top of that because an order would be 7 months away, the dealer dropped the PX value by oodles of pounds.

Buy an import as far cheaper or look at Possl/Globecar great build quality and price (if imported). I have helped at least 6 members on here importing LHD/RHD. loads in stock in Germany have a look on: Link Removed

The Carthago more Glitzy but that where the comparison stops with Possl vans (Possl the parent company)

Eddie

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Might be worth having a look at the Globecar Campscout which has the same sort of layout (albeit with a centre aisle shower). I think the campscout comes on the maxi chassis, which as Minxy Girl states can be uprated.

SMC at Newark are having a 'special event' in their Globecar showroom from 7th to 13th March. Their web ad states immediate delivery on some models. Might be worth a call if your heart is set on that layout.

I didn't trade in with them so don't know what they're like with that.

OP
OP
Chaumo

Chaumo

Free Member
Apr 21, 2015
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
A few years
Who am I to argue with a Stroppy Bird and a Minxy Girl. Think I may have a look at that event.

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Vans versus Coachbuilts are always a compromise. One of the main considerations is the toilet space and many van conversions are lacking in this area. Also passing space can be zero.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Specifically a Carthago Malibu 640 LE. The points I need clarifying about PVCs in general are:
* They are available on a light or a maxi chassis. Which would be better and why?

This one is local to you...
Broken Link Removed

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We have just went down the same road and bought a new Possl Roadcrusier same as Globecar Campscout with rear fixed singles or large double. I was away Sking last week with my daughter in Glenshee and it was very cold at night around -7 if I remember correctly and we were snug in the van, we left the thermostat just above 1 throughout the night as we found this just comfortable and the heating only came on about 5 am so van held its temp most of the night.
We have the winter pack on ours and which includes insulation for the back doors and worked a treat last week.
image.jpeg

View from inside you wouldn't know it was there apart from the fact you can't see the Windows
image.jpeg

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Went to the show today. Thanks Minxy Girl(y). We found ourselves looking at ih panel vans. They looked great quality and seemed to have more room due to the sliding door being replaced with normal caravan style door. May even consider one when we change. Any opinions on them would be great (y)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Buy an import as far cheaper or look at Possl/Globecar great build quality and price (if imported). I have helped at least 6 members on here importing LHD/RHD. loads in stock in Germany have a look on: Link Removed

The Carthago more Glitzy but that where the comparison stops with Possl vans (Possl the parent company)

Eddie
How do you ask for RHD, I know there were a load sent back and a german dealer had them but I do not know the details,

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Went to the show today. Thanks Minxy Girl(y). We found ourselves looking at ih panel vans. They looked great quality and seemed to have more room due to the sliding door being replaced with normal caravan style door. May even consider one when we change. Any opinions on them would be great (y)
It's funny how we are all different. We like our PVC because it has a big sliding door which isn't obstructed by any bits of kitchen as they are in many others. It may not be the best use of space but it gives a great feeling of space.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
It's funny how we are all different. We like our PVC because it has a big sliding door which isn't obstructed by any bits of kitchen as they are in many others. It may not be the best use of space but it gives a great feeling of space.

not really the place for this worn out discussion but whats funny about, your layout does not appeal at all.... Happy to stand in doorway cooking, plus when sitting in lounge view is over the top of cooking area... this lay outs a far better use of space. Have seen people camping in the UK style vans abroad with no distinct areas - separate bed/lounge, making a bed up every night, going to bed at same time etc....Sorry but certainly not for us. The Possl vans and others now with pullout shower, as large a one we had in a coachbuilt

Like you say thank God we are not all alike:)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
How do you ask for RHD, I know there were a load sent back and a german dealer had them but I do not know the details,
We bought our RHD in Germany and it wasn't one that was sent back as its the 2016 model, we just asked the dealer if he could do RHD and he said no problem apart from 1200 euros more expensive.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
We bought our RHD in Germany and it wasn't one that was sent back as its the 2016 model, we just asked the dealer if he could do RHD and he said no problem apart from 1200 euros more expensive.

I thought I told you you can have a RHD when I put you others in touch....

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I thought I told you you can have a RHD when I put you others in touch....
You did Eddie but when I first contact the dealer I did as I said above I asked for RHD and he said no problem just the extra cost as posted above. Always better to get it confirm from the dealer though rather than taking my word or anyone else's as things might change by the time someone wants to buy.

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
Like Minxy Girl we has an Autocruise Accent which was snug but did find a slight draft where the rear doors meet. We replaced this with the Autosleeper Kingham and they have a simple overlap where the doors meet that shields any potential draughts leaving us with a very warm comfy van that I would certainly recommend. Goodluck with choices.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012

I hope they are great as we have just done it. Looked at Carthago but in the end bought a IH.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
You did Eddie but when I first contact the dealer I did as I said above I asked for RHD and he said no problem just the extra cost as posted above. Always better to get it confirm from the dealer though rather than taking my word or anyone else's as things might change by the time someone wants to buy.
I've actually probably helper 10 with the process only 3 have bothered with RHD. As most rather spend the money on extras. Plus be guaranteed and easy and good PX deal when time comes. I don't get commission as you well know as was offered but did not feel good about it. What I do get is a good deal when I come to px or move on to abother van.

Tommy oh here has actually recently px'D his for a hymer:)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Minx, enjoyed your comments on the suitability of pvc, but am concerned about blocking vents on roof lights as these are safety features for the calor gas appliances, cooker, oven, water heater and heater. The handbooks clearly warn of the dangers of reducing ventilation :)
We don't have any appliances, other than the fridge, on overnight so not an issue for us - the fridge is sealed from the interior so no problem having that on.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
We don't have any appliances, other than the fridge, on overnight so not an issue for us - the fridge is sealed from the interior so no problem having that on.

Mel is correct van sealed to the inside unlike some where there are gaps around fridge. If nervous fit a cheap carbon monoxide alarm. Ive slept in ours in snow in Northern Spain and never needed to block roof lights. check out the videos on youtube to see how they are built....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back