thinking of changing to 5th wheel (1 Viewer)

bazfergy

Free Member
Apr 20, 2009
dumfries scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
Hi guys,as the heading to the post suggests i'm thinking of giving up the mh and changing to a 5th wheel.All advice will be greatly appreciated for and against.Thanks in anticipation Barry:thumb:

Nov 10, 2008
Forest Row, East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
B
IMHO only
Pros
Nearly to same comfort level as an A class, sep bed, large fridge freezer etc
You have a car when you get there (don't want to get into Yank or Jap but I prefer Jap mainly because it does the job and it can be parked OK at supermarkets)
More stable than a Caravan when towing
Slide outs
Still novel and gets a lot of attention (might by a con?)
Most dealers are pretty good, best being Calder and Niche, both good support.
Plenty of storage
Not that easy to nick

Cons
Big, depending on what you are using to pull it, most are over 40+ feet.
Parking it, mainly because of above
Use of Aires is debatable, we have used many across France and only once told to move, allowed to stay night, though.
Hitching up, until you have done it a few times, can be fun.
Number of axles, on tolls sometimes classed as 4.
Not many insurance companies cover them, about 3 I think.
Getting more expensive
Breakdown cover is complicated because they have to recove using flatbed
JK

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
as always , horses for courses

basically it depends on how long you stay ...if you are a gypsy like me , move around a lot , wildcamp maybe ,the motorhome wins hands down

if you are happy to go to a campsite and settle down for a while , 5er is great ; unfortunately few campsites have the correct plumbing however

incidentally , my favourite is a 4wd and gypsy double axle caravan , tabbert/fendt perhaps
I have wildcamped all over europe in one , just as stable than a 5er ; no more alas , but that is another story

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
horses for courses, for me i love my 5ver ok it takes a bit more thought about route planning but unless you go the RV route you wont get as much space/comfort in a euro spec m/home. I like the fact that i can park up on site for a couple of days unhitch and use the truck to sightsee the area knowing that i wont have to squash into one of the more popular aires with about 2' either side.
They have big tanks for water and waste (black and grey) circa 30 gallons each and a good personal payload, just pay attention to the gross weight on the trucks plate when matching to a 5ver. with my combination fully loaded with our stuff including full fresh water for the two of us i have around 650kg spare to play with before reaching the gross truck weight allowed, and I havent had to up -plate the truck

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back