Thinking of buying an Exsis (the original)

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by joggerman, Nov 18, 2011.

1. joggerman

joggerman Read Only Funster

We are thinking of buying an original compact Hymer Exsis, and wondered how many Funsters have one of these?
    We like the length (17 feet) and width (6' 9")

Any comments, positive or negative much appreciated.

2. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

I have a new Exsis I waited as I considered the original,innovative design inside but a bit ice cream van-ish from the outside. In any case its a Hymer:thumb:

3. Pat4Neil

Pat4Neil Read Only Funster

Dinger (andy and Lorraine) had an Exis and loved it, it fits into a normal parking place, its a lovely feeling concept type vehicle, not much storage. Its not as warm as say a double floor Hymer. But Iam sure he will if he sees this thread post more about it.

Pat

4. joggerman

joggerman Read Only Funster

Exsis anybody ????

Any Funsters actually own an original exsis?

5. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Not actually owned one, but I have crawled all over the 'original' Exsis on a few occasions and I was quite taken with it.

I too liked the size and the layout, with the nice storage space under the washroom, however, I didn't like the low 'head banger' door or the bed which was claustraphobic and not the easiest to climb into, or especially to get down from, without damaging yourself in some way ... and that was without having any bedding to contend with!

I believe there were some comments about the height of it, compared to the size of the wheelbase, making it a bit top heavy and prone to being affected by side-winds and passing lorries, although never having driven one I can't confirm this to be the case.

If they had made a lower version, without the upper bed and instead utilised the seating instead, it would have been more appealing to us.

6. bernardfeay

bernardfeay Read Only Funster

Mine is a 2004 model. I bought it in 2009. The big consideration was the length and the width. I like the idea of being able to go down a narrow lane and be forgiven if I shouldn't have done it.

Also good to be able to park in town in a normal parking space. We never, ever park on camp sites.

As for the van itself - love it.

Of course odds and sods do go wrong over time.