Thinking of a 5er.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Snowbird, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Am in the early stages of thinking of a large fifth wheel trailer. As circumstances are constantly changing, such as I have little time to tour nowadays but still love Benidorm in the winter. The cost of getting here and back to the UK with a decent sized outfit is constantly escalating and we are spending a minimum of 6 months on winter quarters, it just seems the most practical thing to do. I can have a super fully serviced pitch over 60 ft long on a permanent basis for 4200 Euros per year and fly in and out for a few quid. I would not need a donkey to pull it, and just a small local reg car for running around. I have thought about a mobile home for some time now in Benidorm, but a large 5er gives more space with slideouts and also the added advantage of being able to move it if the need ever arose. Also it would be available for close family visits all year round, I dont like the summer sun so much, but it would be used by my daughter and grandchildren in school holidays. I love campsite life so an appartment would be out of the question. Its just in the thought stage at the moment, but anyone that knows me will know well that when I decide to do something I move pretty quick for an old fat so and so. Any thoughts will of course be welcome, re pros and cons as well as which would be the best make to look at.

• Like Like x 2
  2. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

I move pretty quick for an old fat so and so. Any thoughts will of course be welcome, (Quote)..

Not overly fat.....But you could always try watching your calorie intake...(y)................:p:D

• Like Like x 1
  3. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ex Rochdale now Tavira, S. Brittany & Europe
    Our circumstances are different but we have decided to domore or less the same thing except ours is now in Portugal. This will be the first Summer we have left it on site and we are wending our way back to it through France and Spain at the moment. We shall see how this works out after our first disastrous attempt at something similar at the Chickenrun.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Snowbird

I have thought long and hard about this and the main reason I discounted a 5er was that I caravanned for years and did not like the setting up and pulling down. Also having to run a large donkey all year round was not practical. A 5er on a permanent pitch just seems to be more sensible for me now with a small car for running around in.

• Like Like x 1
  5. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

It makes sense, we have a trailer that we took around PT and ES last winter, and now we are thinking of siting it all year on a pitch somewhere in PT or ES. loads of room to live in, and the ability to move on if need be. And as you say, we could fly there and back for a few pounds, or roll on down with a vehicle, and have a couple of nights in a hotel en route.

Craig

• Like Like x 2
  6. PP Bear

PP Bear Funster Life Member

I think it all makes a lot of sense and it's clear that you've thought it through. Having the 5er will mean that should your circumstances change, then so can your surrounds and just move onto somewhere else :)

The whole plan sounds great too and at a very reasonable price. I was offered a permanent pitch here on the South Coast for the motorhome at around £15K, so your €420o sounds very good too :)

Whatever it is that you decide, keep us posted and have fun along the way :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. mariner

mariner Funster Life Member

I have a permanently sited caravan in the Costa Del Sol.

Idid think about a 5er, but that meant either having a big pick up to take it down there and move it if I change my mind, or paying someone to do it for me.

In the end I plumped for a caravan and a 3 meter awning.

On the small car front you will need to get a Spanish registered one, if you plan to leave it there.
    I know keeping a UK registered car there without having to bring it back to the UK can be done but it isn't legal.

I also have a small caravan which I use for touring and for my trip back through Europe in the summer.

Costs me €4,785 for the year but that does include unlimited Electricity, which I believe is not the case in Benidorm.

:cooler:

• Like Like x 3
  8. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Just a suggestion..

.. instead of paying an annual pitch, we had a caravan sited at Royan which we used every summer for about 5 years.. when we were not there it was pulled off the pitch and stored.. which meant we only paid pitch fees for the time spent there .. storage costs were very cheap, IIRC less than €100 per year.. ..

it only needed a phone call and it was sited for us on arrival..

Eventually I pulled it home and sold it

• Like Like x 2
  9. mariner

mariner Funster Life Member

That is how I started out, but was aware that the pitch may not always be available for the winter. Those who permanently site, get pitch priority, and my pitch is huge and flat. It is also virtually shade free which is what you need for the winter.

At one time I had an Yank RV, my caravan, a PVC motorhome and an estate car on it, all at the same time ( don't ask ) which shows how big it is.

Sailing from Portsmouth on Tuesday and will be back there, either Thursday or Friday.

Can't wait.

:cooler:

• Like Like x 4
  10. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

I think it's a great idea Snowbird ,I fact when you posted the pictures of you and Smudger at your new winter quarters,I showed Mrs Vlad and said if that was us I'd get a fith wheel rig.
    As you said you would get the winter sun and your family would benefit from holidays in the summer.

Vlad

• Like Like x 2
  11. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

But only just sorted the RMB and trailer I suppose that will be for sale soon then.
    what about next week? you change your vans more often than your sox, hee heee

• Like Like x 1
  12. Snowbird

Haven't worn socks for years Roger. Have never been anywhere cold enough. The RMB will sell itself when I make my mind up which is the best way for me to turn.

13. Snowbird

Good idea Jim. I could get storage here at 1 Euro per day, but as already stated, I would want to keep the pitch I have now, and if I pulled the van off there is a good chance I would lose the pitch. I am guaranteed one of the new pitches each winter for as long as I want, but by taking the pitch permanently I would save on the monthly rent and keep the pitch I like.

• Like Like x 3
  14. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I would have thought a big caravan and awning would be the easiest option for the use suggested but perhaps the head doesn't always win in these circumstances!

• Like Like x 2
  15. buttons

buttons Funster

Why not just leave your RMB down there and fly or drive up and down as you like. Apart from an anual mot there is little differance. Use it as a stactic.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Snowbird

The pitch is big enough for a 40ft 4 slide 5er so I may as well utilise the space.

17. Snowbird

Not a good idea to leave a vehicle standing for that length of time, and I would still have the expense of the trip up and down. Whilst I was back in the UK with the RMB the pitch would quite possibly be gone. Also the further expense of MOT, road tax and insurance.

• Like Like x 1
  18. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

may be just as well getting a static.. or are they not allowed ?

• Like Like x 1
  19. vwalan

vwalan Funster

if you use a living van artic and pull it with the right vehicle you could just leave it all down there for ever . use the truck as the car . keep it on uk reg and tax it when necessary. doesnt need mot .

• Like Like x 1
  20. Snowbird

Statics are allowed Jim, and there are several on site. The reason am thinking along the lines of a 5er is that if for any reason things change, which they often do, then a 5er could be easily moved somewhere else. There is also the added advantage of a 4 or 5 slide fifth wheel having more space, and at a discounted price in the States they will come in more cheaply than a static.