Thinking about touring Japan by MH - anyone done it?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by ponyboy, Jan 5, 2015.

1. ponyboy

ponyboy Read Only Funster

My cousin showed up at the hab door on New Year's Eve. He'd been tracking our progress all the way from France to Sicily over the last few months and when he realised we'd finally camped in the one place for a while, himself and his lovely girlfriend flew to Catania, hired a camper and pulled in to the pitch next to us. Then came the knock on the door.
    What a spin out eh? Especially as NYE was the night my dear old dad died and I never really feel like going out and enjoying the festivities as a result.
    Anyway enough of that - He's told me that they'd love to tour Japan and hence the thread title.
    Haven't met one Japanese M/H'er in all the time we've been on the road so I'm guessing it might not be a big pastime there. Still, if anyone's got any info......

2. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

• Like Like x 1
  3. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Our first camper was a Hi-Ace. It was a multi-purpose vehicle - usually in minibus configuration. When used as a camper it was compact for us larger Westerners. Still a fabulous vehicle and great fun.

4. Gizmouk

Gizmouk Funster

Isn't there a law / regulation regarding the maximum size of vehicle that can be taken int Tokyo, or other large cities ?
    Or have I just plucked that out of my ... ?

Touring Japan sounds like a great adventure though !!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Think you might be right Gizmouk. I've never been but my son has - says Tokyo is huge and crowded, he didn't like it much. But the rest of the country is also vast and beautiful. The cites are crowded and the countryside empty - or that was what he said.

I'd like to go and see my Uncle's grave, he died in WWII and is in a cemetery in Japan. I do have full details.

• Like Like x 1
  6. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  7. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

Probably correct as you cannot own a vehicle unless you have off -street parking for it before purchase. That's why the tiny vehicles got developed.

8. tony_g

tony_g Funster

• Like Like x 3