Things I Have Learned About My Hymer This Week... (1 Viewer)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
A beautiful sunny day here in Central Portugal.

I am a little bit excited as I am off down to the Algarve for the weekend.

In between visiting friends (who mostly seem to be Bar/Restaurant owners) I hope to check out the "off site" camping situation... The rumours have been flying thick and fast that "it is all finished" for wilding there...

This week I have learned the following things about life in and around my 1987 Hymer 660S.

The two leisure batteries really do need replacing. Despite two solar panels they can't even cope with hard Chat activity on the Vaio without going flat.

The Truma water heater will kick in AND ignite (I can hear it do so) but will not run when the voltage in those batteries drops too low. I thought it would only need the voltage to open the gas valve, light the burner and warm the thermocouple. Now have to wait for sunlight for hot water until new batteries are fitted or I am plugged in at the Studio!

When the waste tank tap is left open and the kitchen sink stops draining, it is not a blockage of "stuff," it is an air/water lock... a gentle blow down the plug hole with a short tube and the water drains out like a whirlpool.

The (12volt) TravelCool air "conditioner" is superb but uses a lot of water (as well as leccy.)

The 3 way fridge seems to work slighty, but only slightly, better on gas than on mains hook-up. Dougcumiskey kindly gave me the tip of hanging a damp cloth (and keeping it damp) over the inlet fridge vent to help the cooling process... it works...

Getting cool in the van is harder than getting warm... After ten years of wintering in Portugal this is the first time I have "motorhomed" here in the heat of the summer. It is a different ball game. A "water gathering system for use by the fire brigade in case of fire" (a swimming pool) is a must for Quinta Majay... a project to this effect is underway.

Of to do some washing now and then I hit the road south... YIPPEEE :thumb: :thumb:

JJ :Cool:

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Well, you're certainly having a good time of it :Smile:

All you need now is a win for City and you'll think you're in Heaven ::bigsmile:

Graham

That might asking for a bit too much Graham!!! ::bigsmile: ::bigsmile:

Might have spoken a bit too soon as I have just had a text from the "Main Man" asking where I was... sounds like there maybe a mission for me... :Sad:

JJ

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
A beautiful sunny day here in Central Portugal

Off to have my annual was now and then I hit the road south... YIPPEEE :thumb: :thumb:

JJ :Cool:

dont forget to do behind your ears JJ:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
and how with 2 dry wells do you intend to fill this pool, sorry fire fighting storage system??????

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
If it's like Spain and Australia, you (probably) just purchase a tanker load of water to fill your 'cistern'.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
JJ, The last time I checked, 4 months ago, batteries were much cheaper in the UK than in Portugal and a little cheaper that Spain.

Maybe some one at Shepton can carry it/them down to Portugal for you.

Doug...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back