Thin mattress

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by elizabethh7802, Mar 19, 2012.

1. elizabethh7802

elizabethh7802 Read Only Funster

Hi
    We have just bought our first motorhome so learning a lot at the moment (definitely through trial and error!)
    We will be sleeping above the cab. At the moment there is a regular double mattress so when you get into bunk it is virtually to the ceiling so a bit claustrophic and it also makes it a bit difficult to climb down (I have a two year old so will need to get up and down during night).
    I have searched for a thinner mattress but can't seem to find one.
    We are looking at a 4" memory foam topper to put down instead of the mattress but I am a bit worried it will sink to nothing when we both lie down!!
    Is there such a thing as a thin mattress for mh?
    Thanks for your help in advance.
    Liz

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Hi and welcome,

i would stick with the topper idea....the manufacturer supplied mattresses are only about 2" thick and as firm as wet mud.

3. wasp

wasp Funster

Normally over cab beds have a thin mattress about three inches thick, so if you have a standard mattress it is probably an after market one fitted by the previous owner. On mine I have added a mattress topper so it is about five inches thicck and comfy to sleep on, however I don`t sleep on it the grand kids do:thumb::thumb::thumb:

4. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

we use duvalay's to special order

We had two duvalays made to special order with 3" foam.. works fine.

Bob

5. elizabethh7802

elizabethh7802 Read Only Funster

Thanks for the replies, I think we will give the topper a go!

6. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Our 25 year old daughter slept in the over cab area last weekend when we went away.

We have no mattress for this area, but just arranged all the cushions that were supplied for the overcab area and she slept in her sleeping bag on top of these large cushions. In the morning she said she'd had a great night's sleep and had been very comfy.

We did wonder whether she would feel claustrophobic but there is ample headroom in the 6ft 8ins x 4ft 6ins bed area above the cab, the cushions all fit snugly within the recess. I should add she is a 5ft 11 ins tall and said that she felt that was plenty space around her.

I suppose overcab space can vary from van to van though, but she was on her own. Perhaps two adults within the same area could feel claustrophobic:Eek!:

7. poppys

poppys Read Only Funster

Hi, I'm 6ft 2ins ,I sleep above the cab on my own as theres not enough room for us both to sleep comfortably elsewhere.The cushions as supplied are about 2-3 ins thick, but I like a firm mattress. As for headroom ,its pretty restricted, my wife said I look like an animal in its den when I'm up there.:Laughing:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Terry

Terry Funster