Free Member
Mar 7, 2012
oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato
Exp
Hi
We have just bought our first motorhome so learning a lot at the moment (definitely through trial and error!)
We will be sleeping above the cab. At the moment there is a regular double mattress so when you get into bunk it is virtually to the ceiling so a bit claustrophic and it also makes it a bit difficult to climb down (I have a two year old so will need to get up and down during night).
I have searched for a thinner mattress but can't seem to find one.
We are looking at a 4" memory foam topper to put down instead of the mattress but I am a bit worried it will sink to nothing when we both lie down!!
Is there such a thing as a thin mattress for mh?
Thanks for your help in advance.
Liz

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Normally over cab beds have a thin mattress about three inches thick, so if you have a standard mattress it is probably an after market one fitted by the previous owner. On mine I have added a mattress topper so it is about five inches thicck and comfy to sleep on, however I don`t sleep on it the grand kids do:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Our 25 year old daughter slept in the over cab area last weekend when we went away.

We have no mattress for this area, but just arranged all the cushions that were supplied for the overcab area and she slept in her sleeping bag on top of these large cushions. In the morning she said she'd had a great night's sleep and had been very comfy.

We did wonder whether she would feel claustrophobic but there is ample headroom in the 6ft 8ins x 4ft 6ins bed area above the cab, the cushions all fit snugly within the recess. I should add she is a 5ft 11 ins tall and said that she felt that was plenty space around her.

I suppose overcab space can vary from van to van though, but she was on her own. Perhaps two adults within the same area could feel claustrophobic:whatthe:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

poppys

Free Member
May 8, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1974 on and off
Hi, I'm 6ft 2ins ,I sleep above the cab on my own as theres not enough room for us both to sleep comfortably elsewhere.The cushions as supplied are about 2-3 ins thick, but I like a firm mattress. As for headroom ,its pretty restricted, my wife said I look like an animal in its den when I'm up there.:roflmto:

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi, give these a ring -very helpful :thumb:Tell them what you want -most are say 3 / 7 ins normal foam with 2 / 3 ins memory We bought a new 7 ins /3 ins king size for the house-very happy :thumb: cannot beat / get near them for the money :winky:
Link Removed
terry

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back