They're having a Larf

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by emmitdb, Sep 17, 2015.

1. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

Hi All,
    Way back, in the depths of winter, I booked a one way on the Chunnel.
    It cost less than £80 and we paid for it with Tesco vouchers.

I've just checked and, at the time of our trip next week, the price has ballooned up to near £250.
    We are travelling up the day before with thoughts of staying at Canterbury P&R but it occurred to me that we might travel under La Manche that day rather than hanging about.

The price for the day before is less than £120 but here's the rub.
    According to Eurotunnels T&C's. It isn't the price of the ticket you are swopping from that they take into account ie £250+ to £120-, it's the price of the ticket YOU PAID.???
    In other words, despite there being demand for our time of travel, they want me to stump up over £40 for the 'priviledge'??? of travelling at a time which would do them a favour.
    I don't think so.

2. DiggerJon

DiggerJon Funster

So, to change your mind, you are being asked to pay £40 on top of the £80 for a £250 ticket? Or am I reading it wrongly?

3. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

No John,
    "our" ticket, is valued at £250. To swap to a time 24 hrs earlier which is valued at £120 will cost us £40. I don't see the logic.

4. Linda and Steph

Linda and Steph Funster

I think I've got this:

You paid £80 , Price now is £250.
    So, your ticket is 'worth' £170 more than you paid for it.

You want to exchange your £250 ticket for one costing £120 and would like the difference refunded, so they owe you £130?

Is that right?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bacchus

Bacchus Funster

I don't suppose it really matters whether you see the logic or not.

If you want to change, pay the admin fee, otherwise pat yourselves on the back for the great value that you have got, especially as you paid with Tesco vouchers?

• Like Like x 3
  6. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

Don't want anything for my expensive ticket but don't expect to pay a premium for a cheaper ticket.

7. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

And Bacchus. Shame on you. Your version of economics is what got this great country of ours in money trouble in the first place.

You should do penance in the land to the north where people have been genetically modified to not be able to reach the bottom of their pockets:LOL::LOL::LOL:

• Like Like x 2
  8. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Sorry, you got a cracking deal on the ticket you have, cant say I blame them for trying it on

If it were a hotel you would lose the night you had booked and would be looking at best price you could get to pay again

Just enjoy it when you get there, go on the date you booked way back when :)(y)

• Like Like x 2
  9. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

There's a very good reason why God's own County finishes just south of Sheffield and David, you've just showed everyone why.(y)(y)(y)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Bacchus

Bacchus Funster

Really?

Making a deal then expecting to break it penalty free or because something better comes along sounds worse to me...

The financial cliff on who's edge we still teeter comes from spending money that we don't have, not straightforward financial transactions.

"Genetically" Northern me. Hear all, see all, say nowt; eat all drink all pay nowt; if tha' ever does owt for nowt, do it for thissen!

(unfortunately I have never been able to obey one bit of this creed...)

• Like Like x 3
  11. Bacchus

Bacchus Funster

Because South of Sheffield they run out of Satanic Mills and can afford cement?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Granjan

Granjan Funster

I don't think that logic only works the way you would like it to! You secured a good deal but its not transferrable ... £40 to change, get an extra night away, not hang about and travel when you want to ... ??

• Like Like x 2
  13. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

Fwiw ... I'd have paid £40 for an extra day away .. no probs.

14. colyboy

colyboy Funster

I have not used Tesco vouchers for some time, but I thought you could only use the vouchers if you booked a return. Why don't you join ET Frequent Traveller scheme it works out at £108 return anytime of the year.

ETFT you must buy a minimum of 10 single crossings (5 returns) but you can share these with one other named person. you can alter the dates and times at 24 hours notice WITHOUT surcharges.

colyboy

• Like Like x 1
  15. Charlie

Charlie Funster

I think what the OP is saying is irrespective of the cost they paid by swapping time of travel to the advantage of the travel company should cost the same not more. After all it's the travel company who gains on the day .. I can see that..

Quite why others have to argue irrelevant points I don't know....

• Like Like x 1
  16. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

I just rang Eurotunnel (just to make sure I hadn't got the wrong end of the stick.)
    Yes, they want £39 off me to change a ticket currently on sale for £247 to one which costs £117.
    How anyone can agree that that is acceptable is beyond me.

• Like Like x 1
  17. bartiny

bartiny

[QUOTE="emmitdb,it isn't the price of the ticket you are swopping from that they take into account ie £250+ to £120-, it's the price of the ticket YOU PAID.???[/QUOTE]

FWIW I think the key point is the price you paid, not what it costs paying full price.

So how much of the £250.00 did you pay.

Sorry if I have "got hold of the wrong end of the stick":D

• Like Like x 1
  18. Charlie

Charlie Funster

My thoughts are it's completely irrelevant when the ticket/product was purchased and for how much.

If I were to purchase say a CD player off Amazon on a flash sale for £30 and it developed a fault I would expect a replacement of the same with no further cost.

The travel company sold the product in the dead of winter at the price they were happy with. It's a tactic to manage cash flow. They need cash flow so sell off cheaply to generate cash.

Changing the times to the benefit of said travel company should benefit them so why charge extra ?

They sold the ticket cheaply to generate cash so they should be chuffed to bits to be able to claw some money back.

It's a little like taking back 20 quid T shirt and swapping it for a 10 quid one... Who wins.

The fact an extra day on the holiday is gained is completely and totally irrelevant. We are talking about a travel slot not the provision of extra accommodation or supply of goods.

Does my reply mean Gods own country now extends to just below Evesham ?? :D

I am interested to hear more about this frequent traveller scheme ?? Or any other way of saving on crossings .. Perhaps I will start a thread(y)

19. mariner

mariner Funster Life Member

I find that pretty insulting.

If the T&C's say there is a £40 surcharge then either pay it or don't change, your crossing date.
    Don't start moaning just because their rules don't suit you.
    Just because the ticket price is higher on the day, that does not mean that they sell any at that price.
    The company is not a charity it's there to make money, so if someone books at the last minute they have to pay a non discounted fare, or not travel.

You got the discounts for early booking, but now you want to change your crossing a the last minute and still expect to get the early booking discount.

:cooler:

• Like Like x 11
  20. Bridget

Bridget Funster

At the time of booking the OP was happy with the date they had chosen and the price they (/Tesco) had paid I assume? Therefore, if they now want to change ( again their CHOICE) then there is an admin fee to do this irrespective of any ticket prices.

Eurotunnel is not forcing the OP to travel a day early. No different from changing any travel ticket be it flights, ferries, trains or coaches. Cake and eat it springs to mind

• Like Like x 11