They are weighing lorries as they go along will it be us next (1 Viewer)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
they can weigh any thing . they can weigh m,homes .
gotta be a good thing overweight can make brakes, etc over heat . responsible drivers dont over load vehicles .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
now they dont even need to take you to a weigh bridge to find out.
looking at the picture on the right of the link it gives the gross weight off the log book so i suppose if a motorhome is over what its registered as you will get pulled in.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
That sounds like bad news for some.

Bob

Sounds like excellent news for you. Can you imagine requesting the calibration certificate for a motorway.

I do not believe "extreme accuracy", too many variables, the motorway surface will change it's characteristics dramatically with temperature and over time.

I can believe they they would get close enough to pull them and weigh them properly elsewhere but they'd probably not risk it if it was just a bit over, which is what a MH would be.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
legal wise.. yes

Sounds like excellent news for you. Can you imagine requesting the calibration certificate for a motorway.

I do not believe "extreme accuracy", too many variables, the motorway surface will change it's characteristics dramatically with temperature and over time.

I can believe they they would get close enough to pull them and weigh them properly elsewhere but they'd probably not risk it if it was just a bit over, which is what a MH would be.

Legal wise yes it will open up a new avenue of challenges. Calibration being only one I suspect.

In some ways it is good that we have moved on with technology .. but I also see it as the next step to the spy in the cab where your speed will be beamed up to a satellite and tickets issued.

It has already been used in some car hire outfits in the USA..so the technology is there

Bob

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
the spy in the cab where your speed will be beamed up to a satellite and tickets issued.
Bob

Technically trivial right now, but the good news is it's a massive vote loser, no party would touch it with a bargepole. I hope.

There is another avenue though, already tested by TRRL, speed limitation, just stops you speeding. Now that's a huge revenue killer.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i think you will find its been going on for awhile . there was a piece in the transport managers handbooks awhile ago .there was about 4 roads that have these weigh panels . there as been several arguments about acurasy. but if they stop you for being over weight they can then take you to a conventional weigh bridge . if the journey is more than 5miles out of the way you can claim expenses should you not be overweight when weighed at the weigh bridge . .there as been a trend on these roads to only stop the ones they know are over weight . its an offence to refuse to go to a weigh bridge if requested .
i cant find the list of roads i,m sure i have them somewhere . .
i just reread that report . they say 14 places . i must reads things fully . i only repeated what it says sorry . but i have a list somewhere .

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mavis

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp
I have been told there is a weighing pad on A20 after you leave dover and just before M20

also It's also what the bumps are for just before customs at Dover, they have a sensitive microphone next to it and if the vehicle jangles too much they pull you over to find the bottles :ROFLMAO:

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
It is interesting to note, that technology is available, to control the speed of vehicles by a signal interrupting the vehicle ECU. As more and more vehicles are fitted with an ECU or "brain" the easier it becomes, the reason it is not being trialled at the present,...is that there is no revenue in people NOT speeding, even if you can control it outside schools etc.

Overweight vehicles are a problem, but those that are more likely to flout the laws always plead ignorance, hence the weighbridge still being needed, the police need a "reason to stop" so this system provides that.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
A good idea... According to the article, the system gives the weight and reg no via ANPR and if indicated over then they are pulled on to a proper weighbridge down the road. Overweight - pay the price. No issue with that at all.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
Legal wise yes it will open up a new avenue of challenges. Calibration being only one I suspect.

In some ways it is good that we have moved on with technology .. but I also see it as the next step to the spy in the cab where your speed will be beamed up to a satellite and tickets issued.

It has already been used in some car hire outfits in the USA..so the technology is there

Bob

i notice that confu$ed.com is offering a smart box that reports how you drive for cheaper insurance.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
hi what you might see as a little over weight may be worse then you think as they do you on % of over weight axle or gross. ivory55

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
i notice that confu$ed.com is offering a smart box that reports how you drive for cheaper insurance.

I think it's mainly a way to curb the youngsters. GPS can log speed, position and distance travelled. I think the deal is something like £x a mile and a big "fine" if you run high speeds. Maybe if they log routes they could detect speeding.

This is of course as near as makes no difference to what is needed for paying for road usage.

The future is GRIM.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
it will get alot worse before it gets better.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
dont believe it . lifes great . look at all the folk on here with motor homes . .when as it stopped folk changing vans etc . life is getting better all the time .
i think many of you are just gloom merchants .
but look out for 21st december .doomsday is coming .
no need to worry about your finance . ha ha .

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
links to Vosa videos, the first wil not load on my iPad, probably needs flash or similar that apple do not use.

The second when finishd shows at least 6 other videos produced by VOSA.

They quite clearly indicate they have moved a long way from stop the net wagon comng down the road, to target serious offenders. That may mean a motorhome, and if they have you for weight expect a mechanical check also seems to be the message.

http://www.transportoffice.gov.uk/crt/repository/VOSA Intellingent Targeting Video - cjd-mp4 .pdf

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyNQtSwpUoI&feature=fvsr[/ame]

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
weighing us next, I'll have to go on a diet then. Fat buggers of the world unite and sign my anti weighing machine petition.
You know it makes sense

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
i think many of you are just gloom merchants .
but look out for 21st december .doomsday is coming .
no need to worry about your finance . ha ha .

Oh bugger !!!!!

My birthday is the 22nd.
At least I won't have to put up with Christmas.
Bah, humbug :hardhat:

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
A thought has just occured to me that one of you will know the answer to, I'm sure.

If the tow weight of my MH is 1 tonne and the trailer I am towing has a max gross plated weight of 1.3 tonne, even if I am within 1 tonne am I still committing an offence?

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I understood that they would take the plated trailer weight and compare that with the max towing weight. Happy to be proved wrong on that one............

Also I wondered about towing cars - is it the actual weight (if on an A frame) or the max weight of the car being A framed? No A frame debates please......:winky: Thanks

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
I understood that they would take the plated trailer weight and compare that with the max towing weight. Happy to be proved wrong on that one............

Also I wondered about towing cars - is it the actual weight (if on an A frame) or the max weight of the car being A framed? No A frame debates please......:winky: Thanks

as far as i understand it the item being towed hasn't to have a gross weight over your max train weight.

so for example my smart weighs 760kg with 50% fuel and the a-frame fixed to it.
the weight plate on the car says 970kg or somewhere close to that and that is what it weighs according to vosa

so even an empty 3500kg plated trailer that on a weigh bridge comes in at 300kg weighs 3500kg in the eyes of vosa.

you could probably argue the fact that on the weigh bridge you are under your max train weight but you have the capacity to exceed it.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
its a strange one as an artic, say like mine can have a plated weight of 6.3 ton . tow a five ton trailer yet still be under its trainweight of 9.8ton.
its kerbweight with all tools and crap i carry is 2.8 ton .
i have discussed this with vosa and the answer i was given was as an artic doesnt have a load area they tend to only work on axle and train weights .
i questioned about the plated weights on both . i can increase my kerb (kind of) weight by carrying seven fat people so vosa struggle to decide how or what weights to use .the axle and train are the only weights that can cover the use.
unfortunately when you are stopped its by the police . they tend to use the plated weights and direct you to going to court . the crown prosecution arent sure so rely on the courts . the magistrates arent too sure so do or dont fine you .

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
that really is aload of tosh . doesnt actually make sense. certainly that iveco bit is incorrect. the iveco could have a far heavier trailer than 3,000kg .
so long as the vhicle isnt up to its full capacity .

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Broken Link Removed
this explains how a trailer can be very heavy.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
if you look at the iveco plate its a 35 model
the 65 model is plated at 6500kg gvw and 9500kg train

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
silly part is you can lower the 65 to 3,500kg gvw keep its trainweight of 9,500kg and drive it on a b+e
yet the 65 as a 6,500kg gvw you are restricted to 8,250kg train on some licences .
but back to op question no.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
A thought has just occured to me that one of you will know the answer to, I'm sure.

If the tow weight of my MH is 1 tonne and the trailer I am towing has a max gross plated weight of 1.3 tonne, even if I am within 1 tonne am I still committing an offence?

It looks from your answers that the only way (weigh :ROFLMAO:) to stay legal is to have my trailer downrated to 1 tonne.
It won't be a problem as it is only for carrying my motorbike (215kgs) and some odds and sods, nothing heavy.
Bit of a bugger really as I had it uprated to 1.3 tonne when it was built by having heavier duty suspension fitted. :Doh:
Our Elddis had a 2 tonne tow capacity and our Autotrail only has 1 tonne.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back