Thetford Toilet - Emptying at home - YUK!!! (1 Viewer)

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Brian (Hilldweller ) where are you when we need some practical advice, everyone has been talking shit all evening :Blush:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
I cant believe that None of You have pointed out to Pinkie that there is a little button on the cassette which she should press when emptying so that it allows air in then there is no blow back/splashes as it empties into the loo or where ever she finds for it.

The drain off idea is good though if possible as once you get a mess in the lower part of the cassette housing you might not get it all out then you will have to live with nasty niffs especially if its warm.

As its basically water it will run everywhere its not supposed to given half a chance, not just in the cassette housing.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
May i ask, out of curiosity, how much does a cassette hold? I mean litres, not richard the thirds!

Craig

depends on type of thetford toilet as there are several different size cassettes for them - no one size fits all jobbie

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I can't believe this thread is still running after 7 hours when appropriate advice was given early on :Smile:

The instructions about the indicator, the button to press &c are all in the Thetford user instructions.

Best thing is to get the thing emptied without fretting any further, deal with any mess that happens and put it down to experience.

One thing is for sure you won't let the same thing happen again ::bigsmile:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Am I the only person on here who checks the level in the holding tank by looking in it when I've used it?

I'd never rely on the "gauge thingy" to be accurate - in fact I can only recall one caravan I've had which had a gauge on the cassette toilet to show when it was full. The various porta-pottis I've had certainly don't have any exterior method of showing when they are replete.

Hope all goes well tomorrow Pinkie.

Seem obvious to me, doesnt everyone do this, I thought the red / green thingy only showed a warning if the cassette is in or out not whether it is full or not

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
you could pay somebody else to empty the cassette but they would need to get overtime........time and a turd :ROFLMAO:

with shitty jobs like that, you tend to learn quickly and sort out a method to make it easier in future

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Don't ever pour poo residue down a grid. They are for storm and road water only and generally lead directly to a watersource to discharge, not to the local sewage works. There are two drainage systems serving your house, one for raw sewage where the pipes tend to be deeper in the ground discharging to the main sewer in the middle of the road, and the stormwater system which is usually shallower and doesn't connect to the main sewer. It follows that only pretty clean water should go down a grid or storm drain, and sewage discharges into them can be punishable at law.

The best way to check whether the manhole you are intending to use to empty your loo into is for sewage or for storm water is to pour some special dye into a loo in the house and flush, then check in the manhole to see if the dye shows there. Alternatively, have a poo and then see if the jobbies appear in the channel when the loo is flushed!

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Cant believe all the fuss over this - just get the effing thing out and empty it - it wont do you any harm.

Then tell us how it went so we can have a good :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
We have a full sized Thetford in our MH , that means it will hold more for longer--
If it stays in there too long it is horrendous .

I remember when on a site with a emptying area next to a busy footpath ,I emptied it in one of those large swirling bowl type of drains where you can see what`s been done over a few days --I hate that type.

The stench was so bad I could hear people gagging as they passed by, it was so embarrassing that as I appeared from behind the gate with a empty cassette, everyone was looking back at me holding their noses.:cry:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Probably a little late for Pinkie on this occasion but when we moved to our current home the manhole covers were too heavy to lift easily .... I fitted a "Y" piece, with a screwed cap on the branch, into one of the outdoor vent pipes.

Now a simple job to remove cap and empty cassette :thumb:

Meanwhile, if you don't want to take the cassette indoors, as a one off dig a hole in the garden to empty contents. Please only do this if there is no chance of seepage into a nearby water course.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
The stench was so bad I could hear people gagging as they passed by, it was so embarrassing that as I appeared from behind the gate with a empty cassette, everyone was looking back at me holding their noses.:cry:
sh1t happens and its something we all have to deal with. I hope Pixie managed to empty the cassette ok, I trust she will get used to doing it week after week whilst the van is on hire. Coz sure as eggs are eggs the customer won't empty it.:cry::cry::cry:

Last edited:

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Mr M assures me that upon emptying ours it only smelt of roses:winky:

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I Have some extra strong long/rubber gloves stashed nearby in the van for doing all of this on site, Splashes do occur :Doh:.

make sure you get those sticky little buggers on the roof of the cassette .:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Do you know about the 'comedy tap' which could be hiding in any chemical disposal area. The tap that is either on or off, dribbles whilst you turn it then blasts into a jet spay:ROFLMAO: The main thing is dont put your face opposite any openings in the Thetford.......:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
Thank god I don't eat much!!!!

Hey Guys!

Whey-hey - I must official be a motorhomer now!

I've done it!

Now whoever posted the really unhelpful YOUTUBE CLIP should be ashamed of themselves!!!! Laughing at me in the face of adversity! :winky:

I took the very good advice of soaking up the water in the toilet, there wasn't much anyway, and then no problem emptying. To be honest wasn't really wiffy, I thought it would be far worse. Clearly I drink more than I eat! :ROFLMAO:

Just heavy to carry up the stairs, but I shall know in future and it's daily emptying for me!

Now what do I do with the other water tank as I need to fill the van up with water too - question - can I do this from my outside tap? And presumably the other water tank that needs emptying can just be run into a rainwater grille, which is just over the boundary of the property, so I can't see anyone minding that?

Thanks for all your help. It's official "Pinkie's doesn't stink!" :ROFLMAO:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hey Guys!

I've done it!

Now whoever posted the really unhelpful YOUTUBE CLIP should be ashamed of themselves!!!! Laughing at me in the face of adversity! :winky:

I took the very good advice of soaking up the water in the toilet, there wasn't much anyway, and then no problem emptying. To be honest wasn't really wiffy, I thought it would be far worse. Clearly I drink more than I eat! :ROFLMAO:

Just heavy to carry up the stairs, but I shall know in future and it's daily emptying for me!

[HI]Now what do I do with the other water tank as I need to fill the van up with water too - question - can I do this from my outside tap? And presumably the other water tank that needs emptying can just be run into a rainwater grille, which is just over the boundary of the property, so I can't see anyone minding that?[/HI]

I normally fill/part fill our fresh water tank from our outside tap before a trip. First, though (because it is open to the elements), I wipe it down with an antiseptic wipe then unscrew the hose connector and take it inside to wash it in hot water.

Our van is parked on our drive so to drain the fresh water and boiler I just open the taps/bungs. I empty the grey water tank into the kitchen drain (which receives similar used water anyway) using either a long hose or a bucket depending how much is in it.

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Hey Guys!

I've done it!

Now what do I do with the other water tank as I need to fill the van up with water too - question - can I do this from my outside tap?[HI] And presumably the other water tank that needs emptying can just be run into a rainwater grille, which is just over the boundary of the property, so I can't see anyone minding that?[/HI]

Ohh No , don`t go down the "grey Waste" subject , I have seen suicidal / threatening / arguments on threads on MHF about that.:ROFLMAO:

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
If you have not used the fresh water tank for a while flush it out first.
Grey waste i dump down the drain just outside my gates, i can park just over it, usually it has been emptied on site before i leave.
Dont get in the habit of some who will open the waste tank and drive off dumping it on the road.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
After all that build up I was expecting a major odyssey with convoluted twists and turns, tears and screams etc etc etc. Maybe a bit of a Pusser style adventure.

"Job done" is a bit of an anti climax..... :Doh:

Well done though :thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Dumping grey down a road drain is actually illegal and you will end up with one wiffy drain anyway. Kitchen drain or WC is fine, or even on rough ground as long as its not near a water course. road drain flust to water courses, rivers etc and you will cause pollution. There see what you started all over again, hee hee:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jan 26, 2010
Conwy, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Relay self build
Exp
Since 2007
"I need to fill the van up with water too - "

Don't leave any water in the van when there is a likelihood of frost otherwise you risk damage to pipes, taps etc.:thumb:

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Dumping grey down a road drain is actually illegal and you will end up with one wiffy drain anyway. Kitchen drain or WC is fine, or even on rough ground as long as its not near a water course. road drain flust to water courses, rivers etc and you will cause pollution. There see what you started all over again, hee hee:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

That didnt come out correctly, i empty on site, then empty fresh water through taps to waste drain, drive home so waste tank gets a good sloshing around then empty that over the outside drain, mostly just water but it gives the tank a good cleaning.

OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
Does anyone know where the waste water is on a hymer 555?

Is there an unlock thingey on the outside somewhere? And where do I put new water in?

Sorry for being a bit thick here, but first time etc.!

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007

Is there an unlock thingey on the outside somewhere? And where do I put new water in?

now you may find the grey waste will smell worse than the loo :Doh:

you need to get into a routine of fill fresh water, empty waste & loo that suits your use otherwise you will constantly get the "blocks" and in the waste pipe as well as the loo...:Blush:

Dereckerick

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Merseyside
Funster No
Exp
It reminds me of the time a young lad in a caravan whilst we were at the races in a field decided to wee up against his caravan so he didn't have to empty it so often. Needless to say after 3 days of solids without the proportionate amount of fluid he had right job emptying, obviously to the amusement of everyone!!

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
When camping in The Camargue, many years ago, Germans in the next pitch had been really annoying for a few days.
Anyway, we overheard them saying that they were going home in the morning.
Well, when it wa dark, I needed a wee and got a bit lost. Somehow I had ventured onto their pitch, behind their caravan and accidentally peed all over their lecy wires and water hoses. Oops.

Well, the next day when they were packing up, we didn't giggle at all when they were running the pipes and wires through their hands.

Honest, we didn't laugh..

Much

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Unlock thingy

Hi Pinkie,

I'm not familiar with the model number (ours is B544) but I'll explain where ours is and that might help.

At the rear passenger side of the van we have a locker which gives access to the underfloor storage area, a sort of very low garage which runs the full width of the van. Just inside the locker, and almost immediately above the waste outlet pipe, are two taps. The nearest one controls the grey waste tank dump valve.

On our van the water filling opening is clearly marked and is about 6ft back from the passenger door at about 2ft from the ground. It will probably be a lockable cover, but it is in fact just like a fuel tank filler.

I never drain our motorhome down but we use it frequently and it has all the tanks and pipes under the double floor, so all I do when we get back from a trip is ensure the 12v supply is switched off, then lift the mixer taps to open, to protect them from freezing and internal damage. We have never had a problem. As for travelling with fresh water in the main tank, I rarely have more than half a tank when settin off, often much less, and we NEVER use the water supply fir anything it her than washing up, showering, etc. we always draw our drinking and cooking water from site taps in a couple of those 5 litre w
aster bottles you can buy in any supermarket.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back