Thetford locker leak

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Paramotormanal, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Paramotormanal

Paramotormanal Read Only Funster

Good morning all my toilet locker door is leaking and it is not the frame that seals to the van which leaves the seal around the opening door or the insert panel has anyone else had this and what did you do to rectify the problem,cheers.

2. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi perhaps it is me or you are not explaining it to me in a way I understand :BigGrin:You need to identify where it's leaking from :Smile:If it's not leaking from door seal to bodywork then it's either the door seal itself or the panel that fits into the door :Smile:Take the panel from inside the door and seal it -if not that look for adjustment on the door catch or catches (some have 1 others 2)
    Of course you could have simply taken the cassette out while the bowl had water in it (clean hopefully:BigGrin:) or have you checked for a leak from the flush-water supply :Smile:
    A pic or 2 would be a great help :thumb:
    terry

• Like Like x 1
  3. Paramotormanal

Hi Terry and thanks for replying its awkward to pin point where it is getting in I know the frame seal is ok as I resealed this so I presume it can only be the door seal or the removable panel.
    The fact that you can not see the inside due to the toilet being there makes it awkward what I was asking was is this a common occurrence and if so did people replace the door and frame or reseal the center panel.
    It has caused some panel damage in the van at the bottom of the door which will need repairing but I was considering buying a new door and frame to be sure.

Another option is to put tissue paper inside the frame and spray water on the closed door but you would not know if it was the door seal or the center panel leaking.

4. Terry

Terry Funster

IT'S A CASE OF ELIMINATING ONE AT A TIME-take the panel out and seal that first if you are confident that the outer door seal is good :thumb: After that it's down to the bog roll :Smile:They sometimes forget to seal things during manufacture or cannot be bothered :BigGrin:You can get some draft seal and put it in-between the flaps on the door seal/gasket so that it pads it out if you can understand what I mean -Again it may be worth resealing the outer frame while your at it just to make double sure :thumb:
    terry

5. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

try taking out the panel and resealing and then warming the rubber seal with a hair dryer or heat gun and make sure its not gone stiff

6. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Hi Para! You could try putting some gaffer tap on the door itself to seal the panel gap temporarily whist you spray water onto the locker to see if it still gets in, if so then that might be the source of the leak, for good measure you could then seal the door outer instead and put water on the door panel and try the water on that, at least then you'd know if the problem is with just one, or both, bits.

However ... are you SURE the water is getting in to the compartment in this way and isn't actually coming from the cassette/toilet itself?

PS: We're in Cottingham so not far from Hull!!! :BigGrin:

7. Paramotormanal

It's definitely the door and not the toilet I will reseal the panel and tape up the door seal that sounds a good way to isolate one from the other cheers and "Up The Tigers lol".

8. Paramotormanal

Cheers Terry I will need to remove it to repair the damage so after I have found the leak I will either fit a new one or reseal the old one.

9. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Grrrrrrrrr!!!! :BigGrin:

If you want to come round for a natter any time let me know. :thumb:

Mel

10. camocam1

camocam1 Read Only Funster

Can you not take the toilet out, don't know much about them but dealer tells me its only 4 screws that hold them in place and then you would see into the compartment from the inside
    Just a thought