Thetford fridge (1 Viewer)

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
My fridge freezer over the years has been in and out of the dealers for repair it has got to the position that when I wake up the first thing I check for is a flashing blue light as I don't wild camp and use sites with Electric I'm thinking for next year just to buy a domestic fridge fridge freezer and put the thetford in the garage has anyone done this is there any pitfalls

Bill

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
is that 'domestic' as in household, or as in dometic....a simple typo ?

cant see any real reason, apart from the compressor noise, not to fit a household fridge freezer if you can find one to fit.

i believe VWAlan uses this type in his 5th whee.

and if the current fridge is unreliable i would just dispose of itl.
sticking it in the garage is using payload for nothing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B
Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
is that 'domestic' as in household, or as in dometic....a simple typo ?

cant see any real reason, apart from the compressor noise, not to fit a household fridge freezer if you can find one to fit.

i believe VWAlan uses this type in his 5th wheel.

Yes a household fridge freezer if I can get one to fit height and depth no problem it's the width I could struggle to find I'm now at the stage where I have no confidence in this fridge when you consider it's hardly used and I would suggest if you are in the market for a motor home avoid ones with Thetford fridges . The amount of people I have spoken to on sites and on forums who have had the same problem it's ridiculous and Thetford know about it

Bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We have had a 12v element on ours after 3 years, apart from that we've had no problems.

Having said that, we haven't used hookup apart from when we are parked at home, chilling the fridge in preparation for a trip.

Are you SURE you want to replace the fridge with a domestic one? How will your food keep chilled en-route? If you have no confidence in your Thetford why not buy a Dometic unit instead?

Last edited:
OP
OP
B
Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
We have had a 12v element on ours after 3 years, apart from that we've had no problems.

Having said that, we haven't used hookup apart from when we are parked at home, chilling the fridge in preparation for a trip.

Are you SURE you want to replace the fridge with a domestic one? How will your food keep chilled en-route? If you have no confidence in your Thetford why not buy a Dometic unit instead?

Your fortunate you don't use electricity a lot if you did you would certainly have to have the 240 volt heater element replaced after a certain amount of use if you google your fridge you will see the problems people are having also the price of a Dometic fridge is ridiculous just back from Currys a slim Samsong half fridge half freezer £229.00 compare to a Dometic £680.00 Also if you switch on your domestic fridge the day before you leave it will keep everything Perfect until you arrive on site

Bill

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Dometec and Thretford are the same company's I belive :Smile:
You can use household fridges,some self builders have used them for yrs.
You can use them with inverter suplied from leisure batt that gets charged via split relay from engine then plug into leccy when you arive
Not sure on how far out of level they will work at but 3 way ones don't go that far out of level anyway:Smile:
Provided you keep the door shut household F/F will keep stuff frozen for 24 hrs
Terry

OP
OP
B
Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
Hi Dometec and Thretford are the same company's I belive :Smile:
You can use household fridges,some self builders have used them for yrs.
You can use them with inverter suplied from leisure batt that gets charged via split relay from engine then plug into leccy when you arive
Not sure on how far out of level they will work at but 3 way ones don't go that far out of level anyway:Smile:
Provided you keep the door shut household F/F will keep stuff frozen for 24 hrs
Terry

Thanks I checked domestic ones at Currys they do a slimline 50cm that will be perfect Also has a 50% fridge and 50% freezer and a lot more room and as you say keep the door closed and it will last for 24 hours and it comes with a 5 year warranty

Bill

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
dont forget you will have to adapt and make securing brackets for a domestic fridge, possibly invalidating the warranty.

the thetford fridge is no different in principle to the newer dometic, who now own thetford name. however the newest versions are far superior in design and control but with more to go wrong

if it was me, i would take the fridge out and get it reconditioned. there really is very little to go wrong with them. if it keeps burning out elements, change the thermostat too. clean the flue thoroughly and ensure the gas and fluid are combined by inverting the fridge for 12hours. if this is beyond you have a mobile engineer do it for you. much cheaper than a replacement

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
::bigsmile: you will probably get more for the second hand 3 way than the new domestic one costs :Smile: if it was me I'd save it and fit it back into the van come sales time :thumb:I still have a old glass in the cnr to see if lit knocking around somewhere , mate used it temporary when he moved houses :Smile:
Terry

OP
OP
B
Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
dont forget you will have to adapt and make securing brackets for a domestic fridge, possibly invalidating the warranty.

the thetford fridge is no different in principle to the newer dometic, who now own thetford name. however the newest versions are far superior in design and control but with more to go wrong

if it was me, i would take the fridge out and get it reconditioned. there really is very little to go wrong with them. if it keeps burning out elements, change the thermostat too. clean the flue thoroughly and ensure the gas and fluid are combined by inverting the fridge for 12hours. if this is beyond you have a mobile engineer do it for you. much cheaper than a replacement

Inverting the fridge aaaaaa what does that mean

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Inverting the fridge aaaaaa what does that mean

posh word meaning turn the bloody thing upside down:ROFLMAO:

beating it with a rolled up copy of MMM dated 1970 is of course optional:ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back