Gordon-G

Free Member
Aug 20, 2016
Bathgate/Orihuela Costa
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
So, in preparation for our first weekend away I picked up our MH from its hiding place to ensure that everything is working and have all the things I bought so far stored away on it. I turned on the gas and checked the hob, and the oven, which are working fine. I then tried to start up the fridge which ticks away like it's trying to light up but then gives me an error code meaning that there is no gas. On further investigation the gas burner is actually lighting up, but then shuts off and the fridge gives me the error code for no gas. Is there some sort of fault in these or can I give the burner a wee clean to see if that works?

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Check your gas supply, i.e. bottle open, regulator reset. When I switch to gas after traveling I frequently have to reset the regulator. If this doesn't work then it may be the thermo-couple at fault.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Gordon-G

Gordon-G

Free Member
Aug 20, 2016
Bathgate/Orihuela Costa
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Gas definitely on as the burner does light for a short while during the spark stage of the lighting process, just goes out after the 30 second period. I read online that the thermo couple might be the problem, is there a work around?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Barcud

Free Member
Sep 8, 2016
Gwynedd
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500
Exp
since 2014
Ahhh the famous 'the fridge won't light' We had this and we have found we need to be level or the flame from burner isn't straight up and cuts out, we also found we needed a winter cover for the vent particularly if it was windy. We have also had to clean thermocouple, taking it out and using very fine emery paper. Pretty fiddly getting it out, I didn't get involved! Good luck.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Gordon-G

Gordon-G

Free Member
Aug 20, 2016
Bathgate/Orihuela Costa
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Tried it just now on the level and seemed to work, for about 40 seconds! I'm assuming I will have to try cleaning the thermo couple tomorrow morning, I don't mind fiddly, I used to be an electronic engineer before my fire service days.

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2016
Tonbridge
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
I also have this problem with my fridge. Every time I get someone to look at it it works every time.
What I have found is, if it hasn't got going after 3 attempts, I rock the motorhome. Then it lights. I think it is a loose connection in the control box

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Usually on our Thetford, cleaning the burner slots out sorts it.
The 'thermocouple' isn't a thermocouple. It is an igniter. It senses the flame by being supplied with an AC current. When the flame lights, the current is blocked in one direction by the action the flame.
It's called flame rectification apparently.
The ECU senses the voltage variation and keeps the gas switched on. If the flame dies, the voltage in both directions is equal and the ECU switches off the gas valve.

Upvote 0

Barcud

Free Member
Sep 8, 2016
Gwynedd
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500
Exp
since 2014
The 'thermocouple' isn't a thermocouple. It is an igniter. It senses the flame by being supplied with an AC current. When the flame lights, the current is blocked in one direction by the action the flame.
It's called flame rectification apparently.
The ECU senses the voltage variation and keeps the gas switched on. If the flame dies, the voltage in both directions is equal and the ECU switches off the gas valve.

I will take great delight in casually dropping that little titbit into conversation with my maintenance operative.

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
When this happened to me, the exact same symptoms, ie it would light and then go out. I asked the dealer to replace the burner. He was adamant that it wouldn't solve the problem, but he did it anyway and lo and behold, it started working again. I seem to recall he charged about £85 to change it.
Apparently the old burner was heavily sooted, which was causing the problem.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Gordon-G

Gordon-G

Free Member
Aug 20, 2016
Bathgate/Orihuela Costa
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Have tried to clean the igniter and burner to no avail. Spoke with a gas safe engineer that I know and he told me it sounds like a common fault in "normal" gas appliances as well. He advised to look on eBay for the part, which I have done and will replace it myself. The nearest caravan and motorhome place to me is a mile up the road, they said it would be about £150 to do the work if it was the igniter/thermocouple, the part is £20 and takes 5 minutes to strip out! Talk about license to print money?

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2016
Tonbridge
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
I had my burner replaced by a MCEA engineer. A lot cheaper than the price you have been quoted. And they come to you.

Upvote 0

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Have tried to clean the igniter and burner to no avail. Spoke with a gas safe engineer that I know and he told me it sounds like a common fault in "normal" gas appliances as well. He advised to look on eBay for the part, which I have done and will replace it myself. The nearest caravan and motorhome place to me is a mile up the road, they said it would be about £150 to do the work if it was the igniter/thermocouple, the part is £20 and takes 5 minutes to strip out! Talk about license to print money?
so true , all they see if a Motorhome ,, yar they have loads of money , lets rip them off :D

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
To be honest, the job is not tricky to do yourself. I just lacked the time to devote to the job since we needed the van at the weekend. Do a search on youtube for servicing a caravan fridge, and you should find a video showing the removal of the burner etc.

When my 240v element blew, I did the job myself. The trickiest part was sourcing the correct element, lots of different ones apparently.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back