Thetford forest

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by poppys, Nov 6, 2011.

1. poppys

poppys Read Only Funster

Went over to Thetford forest High Lodge Forest Centre today which is run by the Forestry Commission mainly to have a quick look and pick up some info.The parking cost is £1.90 per hour, which I believe is really expensive and to top that there was no info available apart from a few walks from the Centre. This makes me realise how well other organizations such as NT are run.Very disappointed.

2. EJB

EJB Read Only Funster

High Lodge plus many forestry sites are undergoing some drastic changes at the moment. Mainly due to reductions in staff!
    There was a limit on the parking cost....ie £7.00(?) a day.
    The Cafe and shop, which were very pleasant, are up for tender to an outside party I understand. I presume it wasn't open on your visit?
    There are quite a few facilities,bikes/high wire etc.
    However, as I said the basic forestry amenities are under pressure.

I have no connection with the forestry apart from being close neighbours:Wink:

3. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

You should have gone to Brandon Country carpark, it's much cheaper!:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Should have popped in here ( about 5 miles from where you was ) ! Free parking, would have made a nice cuppa for you and we could have put the world to rights ! :thumb::BigGrin:

5. Globalempire

Globalempire Read Only Funster

Quite agree about the cost of the car park. Not even as if they have spent a lot of money providing a tarmac surface, you are just on the grass under the trees. Its the same old story - nowhere else to park so you are forced to pay up.

Paul

• Like Like x 1
  6. EJB

EJB Read Only Funster

As for Brandon Country Park it too is up to which ever organisation will take it on:Sad:

A comment from our local website:-
    "Come on the Town Council and Forest Heath DC -lets see what you can do now and put some effort into this. Stop backbiting and please DEAL WITH IT!Keep OUR country park open".

It's a sad life:Wink: