Thetford Cassette Toilet

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Rob e Lee, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Rob e Lee

Rob e Lee Funster

Just recently started happening. When the flush on our Thetford Cassette toilet runs out and is
    refilled it seems to take a long time to 'prime' itself - almost like it develops an air lock. I have found that by holding flush button on for an extended period it will eventually work. I now try not to let flush get too low and then we don't have a problem.

Any ideas anyone? :Smile:

Rob

2. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Pump dying?

3. movan

movan Funster Life Member

I find that most things in my mh take forever to prime themselves if I let them run out ... e.g. hot water tank.... I wouldn't worry about it. :Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  4. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Same issue here once - resolved by filling the tank right up to brim full and then trying it. We try not to let it run dry nowadays and take the chance on the freezing in the winter, which should not happen as we tend to put gentle heat on when really cold (van drained except for flush tank anyway)

Exit the above assumes a flush tank separate from system

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  5. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Yes - I always worry a bit when filling up after a drain down and trying to get water into the hot water system.... The pump runs for ages. I tend to run a bit, switch off for a minute, run again and repeat as necessary (with the taps open) until the running and spluttering stops (that was not me trying to run 10k, by the way...:Wink:)

Hope that helps

• Like Like x 1
  6. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Don't worry about damaging the pump by letting it run till the hot tanks full.

My automatic drain valve operated on one occasion and the Shurflo pump, which I'd forgotten to turn off, was running dry continuously for a fortnight before I noticed (van in storage) the pump is still fine.