Thetford Cassette Toilet Leaking? (1 Viewer)

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hello :)

Maybe a rookie mistake here, advice needed please. We had out firsdt ever adventure in the motorhome last week. We drove home with the toilet cassette almost full, probably should have emptied it before we left, but forgot about it, being newbies! I think it may have lost some liquid through the air valve. I noticed when we stopped half way home that there was some leaking of liquid which looked like it was coming from the grey water tank, but it was coming from the top of the tank. But on further consideration I am worried it was actually leaking on to the tank from the toilet directly above. When I got home and emptied the cassette I thought it would be OK to carry it upright by the handle at the end, but waste started to pour out through the air valve!! Eeek!! :Eeek: So I used the two handles on top to carry it horizontally. Now, the whole area around the toilet and grey water tank smells a bit 'toilety'.

Is it possible that the waste was coming out of the air valve whilst driving, and is this normal?

Also - the dial which opens the blade is very stiff, and hard to turn, especially when in place, it is very hard to open, even past half way, I don't think it should be so stiff. When I take it out it opens fully, and when it is out the handle in the loo turns fully, but when they are mated together the thing just won't turn properly.

So - given both of the above, should I just buy a new cassette? I have seen them online for about £70.

Just so I know though - is it normal for liquid to come out of the air valve? Are you supposed to be able to drive with the cassette almost full?

Any way, all help and advice gratefully received! :)

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
No it's not normal .... the air valve should only operate when you press the button when emptying the cassette.

You may have something stuck in the valve :Eeek: or you may need a new valve which should be easily obtainable.

Brian

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Do you mean this bit?

In which case they get bunged up and can leak. I have cleaned them in the past but if old, a new part may be the answer.

Also worth fitting a new blade valve sealing ring:

Check your model number before buying parts as the above may not fit your particular cassette. Also check the Thetford downloads section for a complete set of service instructions. Read how to access the blade seal retaining screws - don't just heave away at the plastic covers.
http://www.thetford-europe.com/download-category/toilets/cassette-toilets/

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
OddSocks

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Decided I would rather spend £70 on a replacement than spend a weekend cleaning someone else's poo out of the intricacies of a knackered mechanism! Any way - it will just be nicer all round to have something less smelly in the van! Thanks for your help peeps! :)

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
I'm afraid the pressure release valve is something that will wear and require replacement from time to time.
I think there's a sophisticated internal timing device which causes it to leak at the most inopportune moments. Ours last gave up the ghost in Benodet last spring when a) I was a distance from the waste disposal and needed a horizontal carry, B) I had no idea where the nearest caravan spares was and C) I had no idea of the French for "pressure release valve".:cry:

The advantage is that its easy to fit a replacement, a straight forward screw in. When the blade seal perishes you need the rubber gloves.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I'm afraid the pressure release valve is something that will wear and require replacement from time to time.
I think there's a sophisticated internal timing device which causes it to leak at the most inopportune moments. Ours last gave up the ghost in Benodet last spring when a) I was a distance from the waste disposal and needed a horizontal carry, B) I had no idea where the nearest caravan spares was and C) I had no idea of the French for "pressure release valve".:cry:

The advantage is that its easy to fit a replacement, a straight forward screw in. When the blade seal perishes you need the rubber gloves.

At least cassettes have limited contents. My black tank for the marine toilet (110 litres) valve jammed fully open last weekend. Only the bayonet safety cap prevented it dumping the lot on the campsite. Even hammering the valve didn't close it.

Not a pleasant job to sort that lot out. Basically, take off the cap and jam the macerator pump on whilst being sprayed with high pressure faeces, whilst avoiding eye contact with the neighbours.

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
No it's not normal .... the air valve should only operate when you press the button when emptying the cassette.

You may have something stuck in the valve :Eeek: or you may need a new valve which should be easily obtainable.

Brian

It's a common problem, got to the stage where I carry a spare. I know I need to get another one at Peterborough. :Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back