Thetford Cassette Refurb

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by WillH, Jul 6, 2016.

1. WillH

WillH Funster

Spent today refurbishing the cassette of a Thetford C200CS. Changed the lip seal, blade opener and seal, automatic vent valve and vent valve assembly. Bit fiddly, and messy, but pretty straightforward. Still on the original seals at 8 years old. When I removed them they were all going a bit hard so worth the effort.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Figaro

Figaro Funster

I looked into this and it seemed the cost of the parts was almost as much as a new cassette.
    Do you mind me asking how much you paid for the parts ? maybe I was looking in the wrong place, not for the first time !

3. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

by the time you got to messy and fiddly I had lost interest :)

new cassette, sometimes with a new lid / seat for around £70 last time I looked, 30 seconds, sorted (y)

well maybe not if you include the new seat, but that would go back to fiddly and probably stay in the box unfitted, and eventually lost by the time I needed it :LOL:

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. jdk62

jdk62 Funster

Sounds like a bit of a shitty job..... :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  5. WillH

WillH Funster

New cassette, cost about £120, spares under £40. Got the parts from Bradtech Ltd. More beer money!

• Like Like x 2
  6. The Lobster

The Lobster Funster

I notice that Thetford has just released a "Fresh-up" kit for the CS200 that includes a waste tank with wheels (as well as new seat/lid) for under £100. Has anyone tried one of these? I also note that they do a "vent kit" for £30 - same question.

7. WillH

WillH Funster

I thought the fresh up kit was way overpriced, and I didn't need a new cassette. Had a one with wheels years ago and it is a bit of a gimmick IMO. My parts were £30 + postage.

• Like Like x 1
  8. The Lobster

The Lobster Funster

My CS200 doesn't have wheels built in - I thought that only came later - so this is the first time that they're available in this range? My wife finds it quite a pain carrying a full one, so it seemed a good idea to me (and her) - what's the drawback? It appears that you can't buy the CS200 replacement cassette with wheels on its own - only as part of the Fresh-up kit - which does seem a bit naff.

9. WillH

WillH Funster

I think they are a recent introduction, we had a cassette in a caravan (not Thetford) with wheels and they are not really any good except on a really smooth road, on anything else the cassette can get damaged. For a full cassette I think a sack trolley style would be just the job, bigger wheels as well. At the price I thought it was just too much, the seals were all I needed and at £30+del from Bradtech I went for it. Took about 45 mins. to fit all the bits and as I stated in my OP the seals were getting hard so were overdue replacement.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

I use a shopping trolley (minus the bag). It folds flat & the handle telescopes. I don't like the idea of cassette wheels mainly because they'd be filthy after use on poor surfaces.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mikeco

Mikeco Funster

I used a jet wash on the inside of ours, surprising how much crap came out.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

Whilst on a site in Croatia, the toilet sluce area had a hand held pressure attachment on the end of a shower hose, with a hot water setting.
    The amount of crudge that came out after using that hot water facility was amazing. :eek:

Cheers,

Jock. :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Louis

Louis Funster

Recently Replaced my Thetford tank inc new seat for £85

14. laurieash

laurieash Funster

How I clean mine is wash out as normal at the end of the weekend, then quarter fill with fresh water then add washing powder/liquid. Then it washes it's self on the drive back. Then empty lovely and fresh for next time.

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. Boringfrog

Boringfrog Funster

I purchased a kit as we wild camp and thought it was pretty cheap, just looked again and seen the C200 now has wheels, mine doesn't so was a little less expensive. http://www.jacksonsleisure.com/cara...ravan-cassette-toilet-tank-c200-fresh-up-kit/

• Like Like x 1
  16. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

takes literally 10 seconds to change the seat. lift seat up and pull straight up. there are 2 round "pegs" that locate it and hold the back down. refit by pushing the 2 pegs into the holes and lowering the seat. it really is that simple with no tools or skills required]
    oh and the kit includes some cleaning products too

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1