Thetford cassette cleaning

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by lorger, May 22, 2013.

1. lorger

lorger Funster

Now some of you might think this is a sh*t post :Rofl1::Rofl1:.

We changed our mh beginning of February and each time we used the cassette we always found there was a very slight smell and no matter how much flushing through it never really went away. Now we use the cassette for what it's designed for but if on a site we tend to use their toilets and never had a smell in the four years of owning the last one.

Anyway while getting the van ready for this weekend I decided to give the cassette a good scrub, so with my pink marigold and stuck my hand in the opened flap then realised this wouldn't do. So downloaded the instructions and totally dismantle the cassette and pressure washed all the bits that's could be and cleaned all the rest with a toothbrush forgot to tell Lorraine I'd used her brush :Rofl1::Rofl1:. Well its all sparkling now and back together and the moral of this is if you do number twos in your loo I can assure you just emptying it and flushing it through doesn't get to all the corners without going in to details.

Just a word of warning if you do this don't pressure was them next to the neighbours car :Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 17
  2. philw111

philw111 Funster

So how much do you charge for this new service?:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  3. lorger

lorger Funster

I did think of doing as a business but the pays s** t :Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 3
  4. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I hate to think what the inside of my cassette is like:Eeek:. After 4 years of fulltime use and only getting the occasional rinse.

I don't see the point in cleaning it as I am just going to make a mess of it again in an hour or two. It's not like I am preparing food on it or anything.

I haven't even needed to change the seal, although I do occasionally pour pickling vinegar in the bowl to get rid of limescale build up which causes the seal not to seal properly.

Every 3 months or so I pour pickling vinnegar in, leave it for 2 hours. Rinse then pour bleach down, leave for 2 hours rinse then pour a little cooking oil in.

This has kept the seals in perfect nick for 4 years now :thumb:

I am not concerned with what is going on inside the cassette and I don't really want to think about it :Rofl1:

• Like Like x 6
  5. ludo

ludo Funster Life Member

Please, please help!!!

Hello All You Lovely Funsters,

I am afraid, very, very afraid!! I am not sure what to do and desperately, need advice! The last thing that I want to do is to offend anyone but needs must when the devil drives!

I have a very delicate question indeed?

How do you use your Thetford Crapper? I am referring to the “solids” aspect of use!

I have been giving a great deal of thought to the mechanical side of this and, after discussing this subject with several other Funsters I have, surprisingly, discovered that the various methods employed by users are extremely varied to say the least.

Do you:-

a. Open the trap and aim, hoping for the best?

b. If you do aim, is it advisable to use a “plumb line” to ensure an accurate landing? After all, our anatomy does vary from person to person and “size”, (of both the individual and the product), is an important aspect to consider.

c. Is it necessary to “hover” or is the Thetford engineered to take the “strain”?

d. Leave the trap closed and “tease” the deposits down with a spoon, stick, fork or something similar?

e. If you leave the trap closed, do you partially fill the bowl with water to enable, perhaps, “swimming to take place”?

f. Do you “line” the bowl with paper to “soften” the drop?

g. Is consistency an important point to consider before “performing”?

h. Is it safe to make use of the facility whilst travelling,( seat belt fitted, available and fastened, of course)? Also, if this is permitted would it be beneficial to be driving in “turd” gear?

i. Are straining bars available and can they be fitted at shows? We will be at Knutsford and Malvern if this is possible.

I know that there are many, many other points worthy of consideration and many that I am, no doubt, unaware of but I am sure many of you will have experience of them.

I should be very grateful to anyone who might be able to offer advice on this subject. There must be some heavy users out there who are very knowledgeable in respect of this matter, particularly those with considerable personal and problematical experience!

Frankly, I am tired of using the “bucket and chuckit” system and would dearly love to be able to make full use of the Theford without fear! The sooner I am able and fully confident, the better, because one day I am bound to get caught exercising the “chuckit” part of the current system.

Thank you, Funsters, in anticipation of your valuable, worthy help and your wise advice.

Oh, and please, no Pi** taking!

HOOF HEARTED

• Like Like x 13
  6. lorger

lorger Funster

Yes I'm the same but was getting really annoyed with the smell even though it wasn't that bad so if this hasn't worked then I'm snookered.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I have tried various methods and even had a sog fitted in previous vans.

I now stick to the reliable method of putting a qty of water in the closed bowl. Letting fly, then opening and closing the trap as quickly as possible.
    I don't use any chemicals or other assistive devices now.

• Like Like x 1
  8. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

Ours gets rinsed and sloshed about as many times as it takes until the rinse water comes out looking clean (ish). Usually 2 or 3 rinses.

9. makems

makems Funster Life Member

Like the idea of straining bars - very useful.

• Like Like x 1
  10. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

Never knew it had to be emptied :Eeek:

• Like Like x 5
  11. MichelleRyall

MichelleRyall Funster

I have just sat and belly laughed out loud at this, I am a nurse and I have a penchant for lavatorial humour. This was hilarious, made my day. :Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  12. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

• Like Like x 1
  13. joner8888

I know it`s been on here before but it fits here and is so funny
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nmokg9N7zO0"]caravan toilet - YouTube[/ame]

• Like Like x 5
  14. martin1485

martin1485 Funster

I read an article (MMM March 2010 "Potty Training" by John Wickersham on servicing the cassettes - this may be the same or similar from the Caravan Club website - http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/media/5281308/technical.pdf) This suggests that swilling the inside by sloshing water around may damage the float that indicates when the tank needs emptying.

If you have the C250 cassette, you can I unscrew the large outer cap that holds the blade in place to allow easier servicing. A quick squirt with Thetford Seal lubricant keeps the blade working efficiently.

15. joner8888

16. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

Fill the toilet bowl about 1/3 with water...just like a normal loo a water trap (for the crap)....when finished pull the lever, as the water / waste goes through the hole into the holding tank this creates a vacuum and takes away all solids and paper .... close the trap...Job done....as some may say jobby done:Wink::Wink:...empty every day:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

17. Rapide561

Rapide561 Read Only Funster

Loo

Every now and again, we take the cassette out and leave it full of cheap vinegar and warm water overnight to get the limescale off.

We leave the cassette outside to avoid the whiff of vinegar in the van.

Russell

• Like Like x 1
  18. freelanderuk

freelanderuk Read Only Funster

We use the line the bowl with the blue paper on a roll like kitchen roll , take a dump and when you open the trap it wraps it up nice and neat:BigGrin:

19. johnp10

johnp10 Funster

I never empty ours.
    I just watch for someone emptying theirs and then swap ours for their empty one.
    :Wink:

• Like Like x 7
  20. yokeljohn

yokeljohn Read Only Funster

Thetford cassette toilet

A Thetford toilet kit is available from most accessorie shops, it consists of a new seat and cover and a complete cassette, it cost around £ 60, if we bought a second hand van I think we would consider buying one . yokeljohn.

• Like Like x 1