Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi all,

At the Valentine meet this weekend, we found that after using the flush button on our Thetford cassette toilet, the powerful flow would cease when the pump stopped, however, there was a continuous trickle of water from the flushing spout, which has never happened before.

If left long enough, this fills the bowl, and would overflow of the blade wasn't operated in time. This seems to be syphoning water from our fresh water supply, and as a result, we had to dump the fresh water, and periodically fetch water from a nearby tap.
Having looked at the Thetford web site, there appears to be an electric valve, and a vacuum breaker, and although not confirmed yet, I suspect either of these two as the possible cause of the problem.

Has anyone else had the same problem, and were they able to identify the cause?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions as to the cause of the problem.

Cheers for now,

Jock.

ubuntu1

Free Member
Feb 13, 2008
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2006
Toilet

There is an electric solenoid valve which can leak in this way. Take a look at the Thetford site.
From the Thetford site

Without more info its difficult to say if this is right but its my betting on the limited info I have.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
There is an electric solenoid valve which can leak in this way. Take a look at the Thetford site.
From the Thetford site

Without more info its difficult to say if this is right but its my betting on the limited info I have.
Hi there,

Thanks for the reply.

The Thetford user information is where I got the info from. They refer to an "Electric Valve and a "Vacuum Breaker", but not an "electric solenoid".
http://www.thetford-europe.com/web/show/id=91559/langid=42
If it is either of these, I'll have to remove the bowl, as per their PDF instruction download

I'll ring their technical department tomorrow, to clarify which is the likely culprit, if no other pointers.

Cheers,

Jock.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited by a moderator:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
could be wrong jock, but it sounds like a small partical of dirt/grit has got onto the valve seat and has imbedded itself.

once you get to the valve it should be dismantle-able to check and clean the valve seat and rubber seal.

it isnt syphoning from the fresh tank.....its under pressure from the main water pump and the electric valve is the equivilent of opening a sink tap.

dont forget to turn off the pump and open a tap to release pressure before dismantling the toilet.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I would be tempted to flush it lots of times to see if it clears the fault before stripping it down.

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Thanks to John and Jez for the replies.

I will try flushing a fair few gallons through first. I did think about back flushing, ie, thinking too about dirt or grit, but haven't got anything small enough to fit inside the flushing spout.

I was hoping to solve the problem without removing the bowl, as access to the retaining clamps is very cramped.

Cheers,

Jock.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
We had this problem on our van with the same toilet (van only about 3 months old) the solenoid valve needs to be replaced. Tried always to get it to stop but nothing worked, appears to be a fairly common problem.
Ours was done under warranty, not sure on how long the warranty is for the toilet. It happened to us down in Portugal so I had to disconnect the pipe & fit a plug into it until we got back home.

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
We had this problem on our van with the same toilet (van only about 3 months old) the solenoid valve needs to be replaced. Tried always to get it to stop but nothing worked, appears to be a fairly common problem.
Ours was done under warranty, not sure on how long the warranty is for the toilet. It happened to us down in Portugal so I had to disconnect the pipe & fit a plug into it until we got back home.
Hi Ed,

Thanks for that.

Only 3 months old??? :whatthe: We are doing well then at 10 years old. :ROFLMAO:

It's looking like a dismantle job, once I source the part. :Sad:

Cheers for now,

Jock.

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
could be wrong jock, but it sounds like a small partical of dirt/grit has got onto the valve seat and has imbedded itself.

once you get to the valve it should be dismantle-able to check and clean the valve seat and rubber seal.

it isnt syphoning from the fresh tank.....its under pressure from the main water pump and the electric valve is the equivilent of opening a sink tap.

dont forget to turn off the pump and open a tap to release pressure before dismantling the toilet.
Absolutely spot on John, although having got this far, and the valve being 10 years old, I am going to fit a new one, and keep the old as a spare...................just in case. :roflmto:
More junk to carry. :winky:
It's a bit of a fiddly job, and not a lot of room to get at bits.

[quote="Jezport]I would be tempted to flush it lots of times to see if it clears the fault before stripping it down. [/quote]
I did try Jez, but it wasn't until the unit was disassembled that I could flush and blow it through both ways properly. There was a fair amount of c##p (not literally :ROFLMAO:), came out, including bits of limescale. :Angry:

A new pump is on order, and will be fitted on Wednesday, weather pending.

BTW, it's not a job for the those with a weak stomach, no matter how strict your toilet cleaning routine is. :winky::winky::winky:

Cheers,

Jock.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back