Thetford C-200 S/ CS LOO

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Hammie, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Hammie

Hammie Funster

Hi everybody I have this loo in my Motorhome. It flushes when on EHU but it doesn't when on 12v I have checked the fuse and Halfords tell me that the fuse is fine. Does anybody have any ideas what might be the problem or is this normal practice?
    All best. Mary

2. Late Starting

Late Starting Funster

What m/home is it in??
    Does everything else work that is on 12 volt when not on hookup??
    as your van got a leisure battery fitted does it have a fuse near to the battery mine does??
    If so is it OK.
    Try this for now and let us know if you sort it.
    Cliff

3. Popeye

Popeye Funster

Your Loo if it has an electric Pumped Flush is 12 volt regardless of whether you are connected to 230 volts or not, so I fail to see how it fails when on 12v and not on 230v unless your 12volt battery is totally knackered, I believe that someone with far more knowledge than me will be able to help, try @pappajohn or @Techno

4. alfandM

alfandM Funster

Hi Hammie, as the Thetford is designed to run on 12v only,an only works when on electricity hook up, I would suggest you get the leisure battery checked out , it seems as if your charging unit is working the 12v system ok indicating a duff battery, good luck regards AlfandM.

5. Hammie

Hammie Funster

The battery read out is coming up with the right numbers and everything else works fine. The man in Halfords was shocked that the fuse in the cassette cupboard was only 3amp (pink one?) could it be the wrong fuse?
    It is an Arto (n&b) I think there may be another fuse system near the battery LS so will look in the morning. Thanks everybody for the help.

6. Hammie

Hammie Funster

I bought some spare fuses today just to be a Girl Scout anyway.

7. Dorwyn

Dorwyn Funster

Do you need to switch the pump on on your control panel?

8. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

If it works on mains it isn't the fuse that's at fault as it wouldn't work at all. It appears to be, as others have said, your 12v system generally that is the problem. When you say it's coming up with the right numbers, what EXACTLY are the numbers?

12.7 is fully charges
    12.0 is flat as a pancake!

Do all of your other 12v bits work off hook-up such as lights?

9. Hammie

Hammie Funster

Just checked and one of the batteries is showing 14.1 the other 14.2? I couldn't find another loo fuse but will get the book out again now armed with the info given. Thanks

10. TerryL

TerryL Funster

Those battery readings suggest a charging rate, that is, the voltage that the charger is putting in and thus confirms the onboard charger is working okay. Next check would be to disconnect the 240v hookup, wait for half an hour for the batteries to "settle" then take the readings again. Along with the other suggestions, I would guess that you'll get much much lower readings, confirming that your batteries are more or less dead. Incidentally, how are you checking the batteries? Via the vans control board or by separate multimeter?

11. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

as previously said.. these voltage readings suggest you are still connected to EHU .. that is charging voltage..

If the pump works when connected to EHU but not when off EHU .. it's knackered batteries..

12. Hammie

Hammie Funster

Sorry blonde moment forgot about it being plugged in. The readings are normally 12.5 when unplugged

13. Hammie

Hammie Funster

I was looking at the vans display

14. Hammie

Hammie Funster

I don't know how to check with multimeter do you put the probes onto the terminals. It is broken anyway need to go to Toolstation to get one

15. Hammie

Hammie Funster

When the van isn't in use is the preferred option to keep it plugged in, or have I wrecked the batteries?

16. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

The numbers you see are from the charger, not neccessarily the battery,
    Try unplugging the hookup and see what the voltage is a hour later.
    Do you still have a 12v an hour later ?
    The fuse is correct at 3amps....please dont upgrade to a higher ampage or wiring damage could occur.

Halfords maybe understand vehicle electrics (he said jokingly) but they know sod all about motorhome habitation electrics.

• Like Like x 2
  17. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

In order for the toilet to flush, the pump has to run. The symptoms you describe suggest that the battery alone does not have sufficient power to run the pump. When on hookup, the charger is acting as a 12v supply, relieving the battery of its task. I would suspect that your habitation battery(ies) is not working properly.
    The voltages you quoted above (14+ volts) suggest to me that you may have a solar panel? If so, that could be giving you a false sense of security regarding the state of the battery. The panel, if you have one, will be causing the system to show an apparently fully charged voltage when in fact all you are seeing is the output from the solar regulator.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  18. pappajohn

Definately plugged in with the charger turned on....even a couple of hours a week will do.
    Batteries have a self discharge.....left a few weeks and they can be discharged to a point they wont recover when charged.

19. pappajohn

Yes, connect meter to the pos post first and a good earth......use the.battery neg post as a last resort.
    The battery may have been gassing if its damaged and a spark could ignite the explosive gas...
    Connecting to a distant earth means any spark is away from the battery.

In this instance, checking voltage, it doesnt matter which way round but usually red probe to positive + terminal

20. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

just to add to your potential confusion, when you quoted 2 different battery readings was that cab and hab, or do you have 2 x hab batteries. If you do have 2 x hab batteries they will need to be disconnected from each other otherwise they will both read the average of them both. We once changed both of ours then found out only one had failed

if your batteries are 3 years old or more then changing them is not a bad idea anyway (y)

good luck :)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016