There is tapas and there is tapas. (1 Viewer)

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Over the last 20 years or more I have tasted tapas in many hundreds of tapas bars throughout Spain of which some are good, some not so good and some that should really think about pursuing another profession. I know many funsters like tapas square and I have to admit it is good value for money. BUT, I have found the best tapas bar I have ever had the privilege of entering on my doorstep in old town. No tourists, only Spanish, and the tapas is to die for. The wine menu would make a Michelin restaurant look like a corner shop but at corner shop prices. Tell me your favourite tapas bars, and I may direct you to this one. Its not the cheapest, but as it says at the bottom of all my posts, "Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten".

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Dave, my favourite tapas bars are in Milladoiro, the town next to Santiago de Compostella. Two years ago, we parked up in the Aires, walked into town on the Saturday night, and went into four bars. We had the best food, the best wine, and the whole evening cost us €20. Can't remember what the bars are called, but I don't think it matters, every bar we went into offered the same fantastic tapas and wine. I'm willing to give your bar a go though, the next time we're in Beni! :xThumb:

Deleted User
Any bar in Triana, Sevilla around Calle San Jacinto but this one is our favourite in Spain, Las Golondrinas

DSCN0833 (750 x 562).jpg

They have now opened another bar Las Golondrinas 2 a few doors away from this, Blanca Paloma

DSCN0830 (750 x 562).jpg

In Malaga this is the best that we have found for fried fish, Quitapenas

DSCN0285 (1024x768).jpg

In Ronda we have been using Bar Faustino for 15 years, it was revamped a few years ago and is upmarket from the brown painted small bar it was but still the same owner, Bar San Fransisco outside the Puerta de Almocabar is also good.

Lots of good tapas in Ayamonte which is very handy for us, only just across the Guadiana.

Good tapas is to be had all over Spain, look where the locals go, especially if there are people hovering before they open at 20.30, a bit daunting in small crowded bars but all part of the fun:xgrin:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I think the tapas in Benidorm generally is too touristy for my liking. They have chopped the price down to the bone and have finished up with a product that has little resemblance to true tapas. The wine is of poor quality but cheap and cheerful. Nothing wrong with that of course, but sometimes its nice to try the real thing.

Deleted User
I think the tapas in Benidorm generally is too touristy for my liking. They have chopped the price down to the bone and have finished up with a product that has little resemblance to true tapas. The wine is of poor quality but cheap and cheerful. Nothing wrong with that of course, but sometimes its nice to try the real thing.

We have enjoyed tapas in Benidorm many times in the Old Town the only one I remember the name of is Cava Aragonesa but one further along the same street served the nicest pinchos of gambas and chocos that we have had anywhere. I would be interested to know the name of the one that you were so impressed with.....PM me if you do not want to fill the place with funsters:xrofl:

iLondoner

Free Member
Jul 23, 2016
London and Granada Altiplano
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Forte
Exp
Past owner
IMG_3750.jpg
IMG_3571.jpg
IMG_3573.jpg
IMG_3575.jpg
IMG_3576.jpg

In our area of Granada Province and indeed in many parts of Andalucia away from the coast and tourist areas, tapas are free with every glass of wine or beer. The tapa in the first photo above is from my local bar and is my favourite 'patatas a lo pobre' (poor man's potatoes) served with roast pork, and came free with a €1.20 glass of lager.

The various towns and villages in the area each hold an annual 'tapas trail' competition where the various bars compete against each for the award of the best tapa. You're given a score card to rate them.

So the other four photos are from one of the tapas trail competitions where the lager/wine with tapa was €1.50. Photos 2, 3 and 4 are meant to be shared three ways. The last tapa with liquid is salmorejo soup with migas (fried breadcrumbs).

Last edited:

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Authentic? don't know, but very very tasty

tapas flash.JPG

Little bar in Bangor.

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
Now sitting in a bar near the port in San Sebastián, eating great tapas, and last year in Pamplona, loads of great places.

Camping cabopino for new year,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back