The value of aire reviews.. and ones to avoid.

Discussion in 'France' started by scotjimland, Apr 10, 2016.

1. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

When looking for potential aires to use, personal recommendations are very useful.. in fact, invaluable.. and there are plenty members who will give good advice.. myself included..

Books and guides are useful, but may not give an unbiased, unvarnished opinion.. this is where Campercontact is very useful and worth consulting before visiting any aires..

Here is a good example of what to look out for.. looks like a good aire.. unto you read a couple of the reviews.. would you use it ?

http://www.campercontact.com/en/fra.../13372/motorhome-parking-aire-municipale.aspx

France, Spain or elsewhere.. do you know of any others best given a wide berth ?

• Like Like x 4
  2. sedge

sedge Funster

Dunno Jim, TBH.

If I wanted to go there I'd go and have a look at it, and form my own conclusion.

The first person said in January there was low life, but the second person said that 18 days previously there wasn't. And if they are both telling the truth - how do you guess what the situation there is, today? You can't.

OK so Maisie says she had probs - but there again vehicles get broken into anywhere and everywhere. And how do you know she hadn't left her tiara (or whatever) lying about, ASKING for the van to be broken into. You don't.

So basically you are none the wiser than you were before you read the reviews!

OTOH - if several people on Fun say a place is awful or brilliant, then I am more likely to believe them - when they are saying the same thing.

I will say Frank Cooper's Oxford marmalade is the BEST!! (it is)

Pete will tell you that's entirely incorrect, and complete rubbish, because Silver Shred is the BEST!!

Which one of us do YOU believe? LOL

• Like Like x 5
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. FIDGET

FIDGET Funster

• Like Like x 2
  4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

For an easy life I find it's best just to agree with whatever a woman says .. ;)

as for the aire in question.. I'd avoid it..

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. sedge

sedge Funster

We've never had the need or desire to visit Arles so this particular one is actually (as the EO of our staff association used to say) a matter of complete imbuggerance to me !

6. chaser

chaser Funster

I dare say you can get the same sort of reviews for more or less any aire, some like to be in the centre of town , some like to be in the country, so if it's not the one that you prefer you are starting off on the wrong foot, we have been on loads some bad reviews some good but we've always got on all right, and only one we didn't downright like the look of, at the back of a block of flats, can't remember the town, but it was certainly pretty scary it looked as if no one had stayed there since it was built.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. glenn2926

glenn2926 Funster

Sorry but you are both wrong. The best is Roses lime marmalade.:)

• Like Like x 3
  8. iandsm

iandsm Funster

I usually find looking at the location on my iPhone Apple maps in satellite mode gives fair idea, I also use Google Earth for the same purpose. I can see almost exactly where the air is and what surrounds it. Ether have been some in the past that had decent reviews but looking down with the eye in the sky as it were shows the reality.

I suppose what's good for some isn't good for others. For example many give Honfleur bad reviews but pick the right spot on the left nearer the park area and it totally different from the main large part. Many swear by Le Crotoy, yes its convenient for the town but there is only on water tap and when it rains you are in are in a sea of mud. For me, one to avoid in poor weather.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Popeye

Popeye Funster

Always been impressed with Frank Cooper,s.......... but

whilst my father would have agreed with the Roses Lime but of course you are all wrong.

My next door neighbour to the North East makes the best Marmalade in the entire Universe, it is just a little more 'bitter' than the good shop bought ones.

The only problem is she doesn't give me enough

10. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Personally don't read reviews on Aires very often we tend to go by the feel of the place. Only ever left 2 that was because of Itinerants both times.
    Example we stay on Calais Aire virtually every return trip but plenty on here swear you'll be murdered in your bed there.
    My advice if it doesn't feel right move on no shortage of Aires.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  11. MichelleRyall

MichelleRyall Funster

Calais, never a problem but we happened upon one such, (traveller) Aire last week near Les Pieux. We had just spent a lovely night at Sciotot and needed to drop our grey waste. Well.....we followed the coordinates to what can only be described as a traveller campsite, hook up, cars, plants, laundry etc. drove straight out again. If it don't feel right..keep driving.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. chaser

chaser Funster

Was looking at the alltheaires book yesterday, and found some places where it didn't show any, but looked at searchforsites and there was loads, with photos for many, I know where we'll be looking(y):)

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

Stayed there half a dozen times. Not had any problems. Despite the less than flattering reviews you would be hard pushed to get a parking spot. It's a very popular aire.

For anyone contemplating staying there - the large river cruise vessels moor opposite and have their generators running 24 hours. Not excessively loud but the hum is always present.

It's approx 30 minutes from Nimes airport (currently patronised by Ryanair). I use the aire as a night stop prior to picking up passengers from the airport. The city of Arles is a gem with an excellent market.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. iandsm

iandsm Funster

Where?

15. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

Arles.

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

We've been to the aire at Arles. It's OK but nothing special. The town is nice, good roman amphitheatre.

17. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

we use reviews, but need some caution

a good example for me would be Montreuil sur mer, suggested a couple of years back and used by us then

useful location for town centre, but just an ashphalt car park with recycling right next to parking

went back this year for the location, now a newly set out purpose laid area for 8 motorhomes away from recycling area

my review would move from 5/10 to 9/10

but I put a lot of faith in forum comments and have now used many suggestions (y)

• Like Like x 1
  18. sedge

sedge Funster

Thus merely proving to me Glenn that I should feel sorry for you, for not appreciating quality. However never mind - all the more for me! LOL

19. sedge

sedge Funster

There's actually no marmalade I have ever tasted, that I didn't like - including both of us liking Rose's Lime!

20. maison

maison Funster

Reviews are useful, but not infallible.

Five years ago we checked hotel reviews on Booking.com to choose between two. One had many reviews saying the hotel was "tired" and in need of renovation, so we chose the other.

The one we stayed at was great but, on visiting the other hotel out of pure nosiness, we found it had been renovated in the interval and looked wonderful.

We still read reviews but treat them purely as a guide and then make our own mind up. With regard to Aires we have visited one or two where we have not liked the look of something and driven out again.

However, m/Hs are also broken into, and stolen off, private drives. You can only take such precautions as you think necessary, and then live with your decision.

• Like Like x 1