Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2005
Going back to France soon and not sure whether to use the tunnel or go by boat from Pompey (we live 12 miles from the port).
We don't like traveling by boats but due the problems at the tunnel we may have to change our minds.
Any one got any idea what is the best way to go, bearing in mind the cost and time traveling.
Much appreciated any ideas, thanks.

Keith...

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Ferry miles are more expensive than road miles. Portsmouth to anywhere by sea is always more expensive than driving to Dover and crossing to Calais (c.90 mins and usually flat as the proverbial broom rider's mammary). The tunnel is usually more costly than the ferry whenever I look at the prices, but some people get discounts via Tesco Clubcard and the like.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
All the issue seem to be at night. If the Immigrants try it on and get on the tracks they stop the trains.
SO... Go in the daytime, better odds...
That's my conclusion anyway.. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
At the moment tunnel is nearly as cheap as ferry so no contest gotta be tunnel we booked last night for our Croatia trip in 4 weeks time.
Dont be put off by media or doom merchants on here we came through the tunnel 8pm Monday evening no issues.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
It's the roads to or from the tunnel that would cause me more concern........... stack is always just around the corner:eek:

OP
OP
Microchip

Microchip

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2005
Well, all the replies given seems that it's the tunnel for us, so many thanks to all who replied.
By the way we have a Burstner travel van with a Fun sticker in the wind screen, thumbs up if you see us..

Keith

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi Keith-Microchip, like you we are close to Portsmouth & this year for the first time we are visitng/touring Brittany so using Brittany ferries basically to save time as only using 16 day while dog is in kennels, by the time we travel to dover then ferry across & drive back towards Brittany , it saves us a couple of days each way , also some saving on diesel nowhere near as much as the extra ferry cost but Hey Ho !! time is important.
Terry

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
the choice is possibly determined by the final destination for me. I live in the south west and if I am touring west France and beyond I will always go for the ferry ie Portsmouth. If I was off to the low countries, Germany etc then I would trundle all the way across to Dover albeit grudgingly as I hate that journey. Once at over there I would prefer ferry to tunnel only because i like boats

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
I'm biased as we live so close to Dover & Folkestone - but the tunnel wins especially with Tesco points.
It's all been quiet down here for a while now.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Live in Bristol, but generally take the tunnel. Frequent user tickets are cheap - fixed price £54 each way for any size motorhome. Lots of flexibility and only need to book 24 hours in advance.

Mike

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Ferry every time for us, last couple of years been using Newhaven/Dieppe as we are only 20 miles from Newhave works out far cheaper as depending on where we are going saves up to 400 miles on a round trip.

Don't like the tunnel, been delayed seveal times on it, had bad ear ache due to the pressure when the train enters the tunnel and on a work related job in a VW Transporter a couple of years ago the pressure wave triped the sensors came out of the tunnel with no indicators, electric windows, cruise control & central locking working. Don't get the ear problem on Eurostar maybe because the aircon keeps the pressure in the train more constant.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Portsmouth - Dover/Tunnel is around 130 miles. Return, 260. That is going to cost you around £130 at 50p a mile. 2-3 hour drive.

Add to that what the tunnel costs you?

With BF's Travel club 7m motorhome, June 2016 out (day cruise with cabin), late June 2016 in (high speed) £245 return.
Arrive on Fantastic French Roads - stress free. Get home quick.

Even with a Friends ! BF Discount - still only £340

It will not suit everyone of course. Anyone with a 9m motorhome living near Dover may as well go by boat their end.

TM

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Tunnel every time for us. Never had an issue, not even coming back in July in height of migrant stuff. I suffer dreadfully with ear pressure, but nothing under the tunnel, only under the deep bit for 10 mins or so.

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Tunnellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll EVERY TIME, NO PROBS THIS YEAR ON MY LAST TWO CHUNNELLINGS. TAKE UP FREQUENT TRAVELLER DEAL WITH ET £108 RETURN!

colyboy

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Are you driving a battle tank :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
50p per mile is the tax figure i believe. takes account of fuel and all running costs including tyres, maintenance and insurance.
i calculated my fuel costs a while back to just under 25p per mile. low 20s mpg just over £6 per gallon

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Are you driving a battle tank :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
50p per mile is the tax figure i believe. takes account of fuel and all running costs including tyres, maintenance and insurance.
i calculated my fuel costs a while back to just under 25p per mile. low 20s mpg just over £6 per gallon

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
25p a mile sounds better. £75 fuel
Add tunnel frequent traveller fare £54 any size motorhome
35 min crossing on tunnel and leave earlier often. (Tunnel runs 24hrs)
Stay in van with dogs - dogs cost more
Exit with no delay onto french motorway network.
Quicker and much much cheaper .. not to mention an easier and slicker crossing whilst you have a wee cuppa and watch tv/listen to music in your own van.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
In the past we have used ferry, hovercraft (that dates it!) and tunnel. For the actual crossing then tunnel wins hands down but for convenience we would probably use ferries from Newcastle or Hull in future as I don't like driving round the M25. the traffic, congestion etc etc..... If the Rosyth ferry was reinstated we might use that!

I used to endure the hovercraft, noisy and uncomfortable as it was, but so fast. Such a shame the service shut down, I suppose it couldn't compete with the tunnel once the duty free rules changed.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Tunnel for us
Hate feeling sea sick

hate drowning more.....

have noticed tunnel getting to popular? cant get back either weekend we want to go to Dusseldorf show.... it will have to be tunnel out ferry back by the looks of it. (plenty availability on ferry)

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Interesting your use of that phrase to denote flatness,whereas,as a photographer I used it another way-'Sharp as a witches tit' denoting a sharp point :D

Isn't that weird, in the world of thermodynamics, the "nipple on a witches tit" has been measured at -273.15 degrees celsius or 0°K if you prefer (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back