The Tunnel or Boat

Discussion in 'France' started by Microchip, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Microchip

Microchip Funster

Going back to France soon and not sure whether to use the tunnel or go by boat from Pompey (we live 12 miles from the port).
    We don't like traveling by boats but due the problems at the tunnel we may have to change our minds.
    Any one got any idea what is the best way to go, bearing in mind the cost and time traveling.
    Much appreciated any ideas, thanks.

Keith...

2. big map

big map Funster Life Member

My dad went out on the tunnel on Tuesday and came back today no problem either way. Tunnel every time.

• Like Like x 4
  3. big map

big map Funster Life Member

Btw we live less than a mile from Poole docks and would still go tunnel.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

Tunnel for us
    Hate feeling sea sick

• Like Like x 2
  5. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Ferry miles are more expensive than road miles. Portsmouth to anywhere by sea is always more expensive than driving to Dover and crossing to Calais (c.90 mins and usually flat as the proverbial broom rider's mammary). The tunnel is usually more costly than the ferry whenever I look at the prices, but some people get discounts via Tesco Clubcard and the like.

6. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

All the issue seem to be at night. If the Immigrants try it on and get on the tracks they stop the trains.
    SO... Go in the daytime, better odds...
    That's my conclusion anyway.. :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

At the moment tunnel is nearly as cheap as ferry so no contest gotta be tunnel we booked last night for our Croatia trip in 4 weeks time.
    Dont be put off by media or doom merchants on here we came through the tunnel 8pm Monday evening no issues.

• Like Like x 2
  8. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Tunnel every time for us. Total no brainer

• Like Like x 2
  9. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

It's the roads to or from the tunnel that would cause me more concern........... stack is always just around the corner:eek:

10. Microchip

Microchip Funster

Well, all the replies given seems that it's the tunnel for us, so many thanks to all who replied.
    By the way we have a Burstner travel van with a Fun sticker in the wind screen, thumbs up if you see us..

Keith

11. FIDGET

FIDGET Funster

Hi Keith-Microchip, like you we are close to Portsmouth & this year for the first time we are visitng/touring Brittany so using Brittany ferries basically to save time as only using 16 day while dog is in kennels, by the time we travel to dover then ferry across & drive back towards Brittany , it saves us a couple of days each way , also some saving on diesel nowhere near as much as the extra ferry cost but Hey Ho !! time is important.
    Terry

12. sylvester1954

sylvester1954 Funster

the choice is possibly determined by the final destination for me. I live in the south west and if I am touring west France and beyond I will always go for the ferry ie Portsmouth. If I was off to the low countries, Germany etc then I would trundle all the way across to Dover albeit grudgingly as I hate that journey. Once at over there I would prefer ferry to tunnel only because i like boats

13. scousebird

scousebird Funster

I'm biased as we live so close to Dover & Folkestone - but the tunnel wins especially with Tesco points.
    It's all been quiet down here for a while now.

• Like Like x 1
  14. TeeMyob

TeeMyob Funster

Portsmouth Boat, the tunnel is over rated and expensive if not going with Tesco Deals/offers.

Book early and BF is cheaper than you think.

TM

15. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

Live in Bristol, but generally take the tunnel. Frequent user tickets are cheap - fixed price £54 each way for any size motorhome. Lots of flexibility and only need to book 24 hours in advance.

Mike

16. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Ferry every time for us, last couple of years been using Newhaven/Dieppe as we are only 20 miles from Newhave works out far cheaper as depending on where we are going saves up to 400 miles on a round trip.

Don't like the tunnel, been delayed seveal times on it, had bad ear ache due to the pressure when the train enters the tunnel and on a work related job in a VW Transporter a couple of years ago the pressure wave triped the sensors came out of the tunnel with no indicators, electric windows, cruise control & central locking working. Don't get the ear problem on Eurostar maybe because the aircon keeps the pressure in the train more constant.

17. TeeMyob

TeeMyob Funster

Portsmouth - Dover/Tunnel is around 130 miles. Return, 260. That is going to cost you around £130 at 50p a mile. 2-3 hour drive.

Add to that what the tunnel costs you?

With BF's Travel club 7m motorhome, June 2016 out (day cruise with cabin), late June 2016 in (high speed) £245 return.
    Arrive on Fantastic French Roads - stress free. Get home quick.

Even with a Friends ! BF Discount - still only £340

It will not suit everyone of course. Anyone with a 9m motorhome living near Dover may as well go by boat their end.

TM

18. snowdrops

snowdrops Funster Life Member

Tunnel every time for us. Never had an issue, not even coming back in July in height of migrant stuff. I suffer dreadfully with ear pressure, but nothing under the tunnel, only under the deep bit for 10 mins or so.

19. colyboy

colyboy Funster

Tunnellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll EVERY TIME, NO PROBS THIS YEAR ON MY LAST TWO CHUNNELLINGS. TAKE UP FREQUENT TRAVELLER DEAL WITH ET £108 RETURN!

colyboy

• Like Like x 1
  20. Kool Kroozer

Kool Kroozer Funster

Tunnel, dont think we could ever use ferries again, the tunnel is just far too faster

• Like Like x 1