The True Cost of owning a Motorhome. (1 Viewer)

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I haven't worked out the cost of owning the van as long as I can afford it then I don't need to know :ROFLMAO:.

We got fed up a while back of booking a family holiday and then it not being up to standard or at least my standard, what you say you have spent in a year would only cover two weeks at a nice quality hotel somewhere sunny. About 3 years ago we went to Jamaica to a sandals resort and although it was excellent [HI]after about 3 days I was bored of it and wanted to move on and that cost a lot more than a years motorhoming. [/HI]

We found the same before I seen the light and bought a MH, 3 days into a booked holiday " I`m bored" was said by someone :roflmto:

Maybe motorhome owners have a small Itinerant gene built in and have the itch to move about.
Only book one day at a time now on any site, in case I get the itch to go :thumb:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
all that but i am a tight arise i do it all on the cheep but they say the view is the same from a 1000k van

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We found the same before I seen the light and bought a MH, 3 days into a booked holiday " I`m bored" was said by someone :roflmto:

Maybe motorhome owners have a small Itinerant gene built in and have the itch to move about.
Only book one day at a time now on any site, in case I get the itch to go :thumb:

Longest we have spent in any one place was Piriac in Brittany. I got a mossy bite on my calf that got infected meaning I couldnt drive. Mrs A didnt feel confident to steer the van through the lanes of Brittany, so we stayed 3 nights, almost 5 full days! It was way too long and I was itching ( quite literally ) to get away.

Hmm, Itinerant gene? I know I cant stand to be indoors for long and have always worked outside, maybe your right there...

Allan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
We have only been motor homing for 13 months during that time we have clocked up almost 14000 miles, we used to sail, my calculation would be that we are saving over 10K a year!:thumb:

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
But just think how much a 100 nights of b&b would be. and nothing to show at the end of the day.
Steve

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
I strongly protest Haggers young man!

I have not sown any of my seeds anywhere near your garden.

Tara wouldn't have let me.

JJ :Cool:

Bordeaux next year... now that's a thought...

Can we have a Follow up on the cost of owning
either
A. A small Donkey
or B. an extremely large dog (Tara springs to mind )

Please include Purchase Price
Vets Bills
Feeding
Passport Etc:thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Hi Paul I was wondering ,have you taken depreciation into account ? [Theres always one init]
PK :Blush:

Paul might be a bit care worn but I do not think he has depreciated THAT much over the years ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Can we have a Follow up on the cost of owning
either
A. A small Donkey
or B. an extremely large dog (Tara springs to mind )

Please include Purchase Price
Vets Bills
Feeding
Passport Etc:thumb:

Sorry you can not put a price on a family member, but at a guess I could have at least 10 for what it cost me to own a Motorhome

But just think how much a 100 nights of b&b would be. and nothing to show at the end of the day.
Steve

That's not the point, which is getting somewhat lost in the translation.

If, IF I had no Motorhome, I would never of gone away for 100 nights, how many who don't have a Motorhome go away as much as us motor homers ?

What would I have? Probably a more advanced career , possibly a nicer car ? Possibly traveled to such places as Thailand India etc.

I would not have spent as money as I have done and I would not have had such a great time over the years and years that I have been motor homing and caravaning before.

The point was that if I wanted information about buying a Newfoundland puppy I would speak to someone that has been done it and got the t shirt. The same person whom wore that t shirt wanted an honest opinion about how much MHing costs, for the first time ever I worked it out...

It's a horrific cost, and one has to think about these things, enjoyment is fine but every week I'm forced to enjoy myself by NIKKI, I think she is being unfair, I should be allowed to be normal and miserable with a nice garden from time to time:Angry:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
The obvious answer is to buy new every 3 years.

You then avoid tiresome and expensive MOT's:thumb:

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
How much does it cost? How much is it worth? Dwelling on past expenses is never a good idea. There is only one outcome DEPRESSION! But what’s it worth? Well you have the asset, got to be worth something. But what price do you put on freedom? Being able to go anywhere at any time for as long as you want that’s worth a lot but what about the people you meet, the friends you make?
Priceless!:thumb:
Steve

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
After just a quick working out ...

Saved from not having mortgage & council tax for 2.5 years : £14.320.00
Spent on tax/mots/maintenance/tyres : - £472.90
Spent on parts (Alternator :£40 & steering gaiter: £2.90) - £42.90
Spent on MH (purchase) - £8495.00

In pocket: £5309.20

Fuel not included as would have used anyway........... :Sad:

+ many new friends

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
we consider ourselves extremely lucky with our motorhoming. when all things are considered, we scraped together £500 all those years ago to buy our first caravan. since then we have done up and improved loads of vans over the years then sold at a profit after using. often i would do up 4 or 5 a year to fund our holidays and always moved up as we went. these days we buy a 3 or 4 year old van cheaply in the winter months and do them up, using them for 2 or more years. when polished up and tidied up inside, we sell them for a small profit covering the work and buy again. these days we have a £30000 van but have not paid that much in

camping fees, insurance, fuel, maintenance etc costs about £2500 a year for 100 camping nights or more

if you look at what it would cost to raise the cash to buy outright these days and then use the van as intended, it would frighten many people. have had this discussion with friends many times. comments often include "i could have x number of foreign holidays for that money" but i always reply that after a package holiday, youve got a tan, some photos and memories plus the credit card bill. after our foreign holidays we have much smaller bills and an asset worth thousands that i can sell on for a profit.

not everyone has the technical knowledge to do what we do and make a profit whilst enjoying the lifestyle. however with some common sense rules and careful buying and selling, it doesnt have to cost a fortune to run a motorhome. its certainly not for everyone, as most just buy a van to enjoy retirement in and it would be too much work:thumb:

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
Cost of motorhome

Just come back from 10 days on package tour. Cost? About £2000 with taxis to airport, train fares, beer, beer, beer, ....... So, about £200 a night. Earlier this year I had 6 weeks touring Spain and Morocco. Cost? About £3000 including ferries, food, diesel, guides, site fees, tolls, beer,beer,beer,beer..... AND a locker full of wine! What am I itching to do now and already planning? Well, it sure ain't going on a foreign package flying tour EVER AGAIN! Keep them wheels rolling!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back