The 'Tranny' goes Stateside..

Discussion in 'Motorhomes in the News' started by scotjimland, Dec 13, 2011.

1. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Europe’s Ford Transit van RV platform coming to the US

2. Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers Read Only Funster

That's great news for the Tranny.

Reading the report, I didn't realise the the Transit was available in AWD, just had a scout around for it and :thumb:. Probably like Rocking Horse doo doo as most of the other AWD vans are.

3. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Wondered what you were talking about from the header.

In my (distant) youth a tranny was a radio, now it seems to be someone who wishes to transfer gender (or a van). Funny how words change, the flintstones can no longer have a gay old time, and Dr Watson was quite happy to leave incontinently(i.e. in a hurry) in Victorian times without fear of wetting himself.:Laughing:

• Like Like x 1
  4. dazzer

dazzer Read Only Funster

Wow!! Thats great news for everyone isnt it??

At long last European motorhome builders will be given a masterclass in how to build a proper motorhome, suitable for day to day use with all the comforts of home. Pretty sure the yanks will do a beefed up version with greater weight capacity to allow them to fit slideouts etc.

Good news for the treehuggers as well :thumb::thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  5. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

I thought this was a post about Old Mo on Route 66...

:Doh:

6. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Is a Ford Transit British/European?

7. Terry

Terry Funster

They don't have Trannys in the states - not got a big enough engine :BigGrin: It's interesting now how the are "beginning" to take to smaller engined cars and pick ups- 3 ltr ones are acceptable :BigGrin:
    The Merc has been used in the US for a few years now so can the Transit cut it ? can they fit a bigger power-fuller engine ?and will it have the obligatory auto box ?:Wink:
    terry
    BTW British

8. aba

aba

states in the article about a 5 cylinder engine so maybe they are going to fit the merc 5 cyl

9. motorhomelover

motorhomelover

hey they might set up the old Audi quatro 5 cyd engine and 4x4 box
    still it will not be a proper yank tank now will it :Rofl1::Rofl1:

10. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

The yanks use the E350 /E450 as there Tranny

The yanks use the Ford E350/E450 as there equal to the tranny. Can be used on small vans... even have the E150 if they really want small.. say for a panel van of about the same size as a tranny.. but more power.

Bob:thumb:

11. Terry

Terry Funster

:BigGrin:NOPE it will do 20 mpg plus instead of 10 mpg minus :BigGrin::Wink:
    terry

• Like Like x 1
  12. CHRI$

CHRI$ Funster

13. Jim

Jim Ringleader

If the Ford Transit is British then isn't the Dyson Vacuum Malaysian?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Terry

Terry Funster

:BigGrin:No Jim the Dyson was built here first then moved production to Malaysia simply for costs/profit/greed call it what you want :Smile:Transits were made in Britain (via American Ford co) and continued to be for years basically being sold only in British markets as it never took off in Europe as such :Rofl1::Wink:
    Now as Chris as pointed out they have made a 3.2 -5 cly engine for them which I assume is to compete with the prestige Merc Sprinter and VW Crafter which in my opinion it will never do :Eeek:After all it is still a Tranny and as such it is the preferred work horse of Britain but will it make it in the rest of Europe? or for that matter in the USA ? It may make it in USA simply because they don't have any small vans (as such ) to compete with and ford as you know are massive in the US.The Econoline's etc are similar size but with a big thirsty engine which the yanks love :Rofl1:
    terry

15. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I hear you Terry, I've just never considered Ford or any of it's products to be British. Yes they were designed here, but by Brits working for an American Company. Just like I consider Hondas, Nissan and Toyotas made here to be Japanese cars. Maybe I'm just being pedantic. :BigGrin:

16. vwalan

vwalan Funster

the 3.2 duro torq as been around awhile now . i have it listed on april 2010 literature they alsogo up to 4,600kg gvw and have a healthy train weight of 6,500kg. unfortunately they classed the awd as a special order and didnt push it very much.
    mind the new iveco daily is going to take some beating . there gvw is up to7,000kg now . forthe enviromentalists there is an methane version as well. it runs on petrol in recovery mode should you run out of methane.
    also an electric version .fully loaded in urban use can travel 100-130km depending on the battery and wheelbase choice.
    bt with the euro 5 twin turbo you can ave 205bhp. make a good base for m,home or artic unit.

17. Terry

Terry Funster

:Rofl1::BigGrin: I also am with you :thumb: but the Tranny was built both in and for the UK market and nowhere else :Wink:After all it has taken it almost 45 yrs before the yanks have accepted it :BigGrin: assuming they take to it. Me I KNOW I AM IN A MINORITY but I have never liked Transits that much indeed any Fords I have owned :Doh: but yet again I love my FORD Iveco :thumb::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1: Am I sitting on the fence ? :BigGrin:
    terry

18. vwalan

vwalan Funster

hi terry, you will find the transit was also built in spain near palencia . along side the vw t4 . they both shared similer body. i know have seen them being made. back in the early 90,s .

19. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Ford Transit History

The first Ford Transit proper was introduced in October 1965, and has been in continuous production in three basic generations to the present day. The van was produced initially at Ford's Langley facility in Berkshire, England (a former Second World War aircraft factory which had produced Hawker Hurricane fighters), but demand outstripped the capability of the plant, and production was moved to Southampton, where it has remained.

Transits have also been produced in Ford's Genk factory in Belgium and also Turkey. Transits have been produced in Amsterdam for the local market from the mid seventies until the end of 1981. This factory had ample capacity, since the Ford Transcontinental produced there had little success (total production 8000 in 6 years).
    Although the Transit sold well in the Netherlands, it was not enough to save the factory, which closed in December 1981. The Transit is also produced in China for the Chinese market.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Transit

• Like Like x 1
  20. Terry

Terry Funster

Thanks for the history lesson Jim :BigGrin: I knew they were built in Belgium and Turkey but not in China :Wink:Since they have made virtually no impact in any other country other than Britain ( who seem to love them ) is why I stated solely for the British market :BigGrin:
    Will the brits pay a premium price for the 3.2 is anybody's guess but I suspect people will buy the Mercs and VWs :Smile: unless some clever marketing / big discounts are given
    terry