The tour for next year....can you help? (1 Viewer)

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
We are thinking of making a bit of a trip next year, possibly starting mid June, from Seville to Barcelona, catch ferry to Civitavecchia (near Rome) then wandering up Italy (I guess Florence, Bologna, then heading over towards Venice and up to Salzburg then onto Calais (or similar) ferry to UK, then back to Spain by Portsmouth/Santander ferry.

We have never done this trip before and it is many years since I have been to Italy (and never Rome). We wondered if any member has a route, places to visit, suggestions, sites, advice or indeed places to avoid for such a trip.

I would like to start planning early in the New Year, so I thought I had better ask for advice now.

Thank you for your help.:xgrin::xThumb:

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Italian sosta are ,in our experience, not always anything at all like you are expecting and sometimes they are distinctly grim ! Always have a back up handy. We have been directed to places where even looking at the service point makes you feel sick and where you feel very conspicuous.

If you plan to visit Pisa then kill two birds with one stone and stay here, in Lucca:

http://tinyurl.com/qakjyg9

(Il Serchio camperstop) and get the very fast, efficient, cheap air conditioned bus to Pisa on day 2 after a day in Lucca ( which is lovely). The journey takes less than 30 minutes, is very scenic and the bus stop is right by the Piazza del Miracoli in Pisa. Worth not having the hassle of the parking in Pisa.

We paid for a campsite in Venice; Camping Fusina. Not cheap but very convenient for the ferry across to the city and, if you go right to the end of the site you are on the edge of the lagoon and with some wonderful views and some serious boats going very close by. Make sure you have comfy shoes in Venice; it's a real killer on the feet. There are cheaper places to eat than the tourist restaurants and cafes. Try the workmen's cafes down beside the Rialto bridge where you get an excellent self service meal and can enjoy people watching. There are also supermarkets in Venice but they are usually well hidden with just a drab door off the street opening into a big supermarket hidden behind. Ask the locals. We found it made sense to buy a day/ 2 day ticket for public transport as you can then wander at will on the boats. Murano and Burano are well worth a visit.

We also paid for a site in Florence ( Camping Michaelangelo) Again, not cheap but an easy walk into the city and clean, safe and friendly. If you want the Uffizi then book online ahead as you jump the queues and it costs no more.

If you need to overnight in Portsmouth then we recommend Port Solent which has cinemas, restaurants, shops, places to walk and a leisure centre. You can also stay at the port before your sailing. There is also the new aire at the Marina ( Puerto Deportivo) at Santander though we are yet to try that but it is more convenient than Cabarceno...we hope.

If you are a Senior then wave your passport at every place you might have to pay, That, plus the EC citizens freebies/ discounts saves a lot.

Enjoy your trip.

OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Seville and Cordoba are called the frying pan of Spain so it will be very hot in June.

Thanks @makems :xThumb: but my winter house is near Seville ( you wouldn't have known that) and I will leave from there after a few weeks in Portugal. Seville not so hot in June but July and particularly August are the killer.

Would love some pointers about the ferry Barcelona to Italy (Rome) and anything about Italy or Austria.:xgrin:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back