Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I must say before I tell you this story, that we find the Portugese to be the one of the most friendly Europeans we meet. None of the indifference or chin pointing that some Spanish employ toward tourists. But one toll booth operator must have been having a bad day.

The Toll Road.
We used one section of peaje on a recent trip in Portugal but the ticket box at the entry to this section of road was out of action, there was a machine there but it had a cover on it. We had a good look around and there was nowhere to get a ticket so we preceded without one. I did note at the time there was a new gantry of cameras covering this section so I thought they must be fazing the old ticket system out and going with the new automatic transponder system.

So when 50 miles later, I saw a toll booth, expecting just a fixed fee I handed over my credit card, but the operator looked at me as if I was stupid and literally shouted "Bilheteira Bilheteira" She showed us a ticket "Bilheteira Bilheteira" as if she thought we were mega stupid or might have taken one but forgotten about it.

"No Bilheteira.... "No Ticket" I responded, palms skyward, Sian leaned across me flashing her big smile... "Bilheteira box Covered up" then miming putting a cover on a box ::bigsmile: The toll booth lady shouted a sentence we did not understand but we were sure it was a curse, rolled her eyes, punched a button or two and up on the screen "€78 tarifa pena" She was in a stinking mood and was charging us a penalty fare:Eeek:

Quick as a flash, my head and shoulders are out of the window as I try to grab my card from her grasp, quicker than that, she deftly swaps it into her other hand. Ignoring my shouts of No não No. she looks me in the eye as she swipes it through her machine ... Sian trying to get through my window now and shouting "Your Bilheteira Box was covered up you stupid :censored:2:censored:2"

I slumped back in my seat, bugger, if only I'd not been so keen to hand over our card... Well we live and learn. "Calm down Sian it's only money"

She hands the card back "mau cartão" and I say "Gracias" in my best Spanish (as someone had told me earlier that speaking Spanish to Portugese winds them up) and she repeats "mau cartão - Card no good" It's then that I realise she has not charged my debit card, her machine refused it and she wants another.

The broadest smile falls upon my face as I tell her through it, that I have no other cards and no cash. She remonstrates some more and then proper fuming she stomps out of her booth and into a small office.. We wait.. she comes out after a few minutes and records our registration then goes back in. we wait some more..

She comes back to the booth and without even a look in our direction she opens the barrier. "Nos Vemos" I shout in my best Spanish and were through.

No bill at home yet...::bigsmile:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
No bill at home? I am not surprised Oh Blessed Leader... they came around and gave it to me...:Eeek:

Never mind... my people will deal with it... :ROFLMAO:

JJ :Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
Oh well, when Portugal finally teeters over the edge into a huge recession and defaults on its debts we will know the real cause....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Sorry to be serious for a moment but if anyone else is affected it might be worth taking photos of the non-operating booth and covered up machine.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I bet they will be waiting to arrest you both next time you cross their border:ROFLMAO:

It is a wonderful country with wonderful people and a culture which goes back centuries which is why I choose to live here but I think you credit the authorities with a bigger computer system than the one they have and the border guards with a level of efficiency I am unaware of...

JJ :Cool:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Too late JJ MY people have already had a word:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
9806bdb1.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back