mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Any Scientist's out there!! this is the theory....we drill down, suck the oil out of the ground...leaves a huge cavern where the oil was, ground above the cavern becomes unstable Cars, Motorhomes start disappearing down the sink holes.....thats why they call me the Mentaliss:roflmto::roflmto::roflmto:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
oil is trapped in the oil baring sands sink holes can be cussed by many things but the most common is historic mine working faulted ground where a fault has been bridged for hundreds even thousands of years and the wet weather and excessive ground water erodes away the fines cussing the bridged material to fail and a grate big hole end's up on the site
many old mine working were caped with timber steel sheets that rot away when there is nothing left it just collapses
un like modern mine working that are back filed or a substantial concrete cap put in the shaft with reinforced concrete reset in to the shaft walls at several levels in the shaft then back filed to ground level and will never move
bill

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Any Scientist's out there!! this is the theory....we drill down, suck the oil out of the ground...leaves a huge cavern where the oil was, ground above the cavern becomes unstable Cars, Motorhomes start disappearing down the sink holes.....thats why they call me the Mentaliss:roflmto::roflmto::roflmto:
Dont know of any oil extraction around Hemel Hempsted. Apart from Buncefield that is.
Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Dont know of any oil extraction around Hemel Hempsted. Apart from Buncefield that is.
Broken Link Removed
e
I have done site investigation around there for the Buncefield project after the explosion and on the motorway works
it is substantial chalk deposits with washouts ther was also evidence of flint workings there is your answer collapsed chalk voided wash out or flint workings
missed the bit abut hamilhamsted

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
When I saw the headline "Hemel Hempsted sink hole" I had to wonder why it was supposedly news :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Be careful what you say about Hemel Hemstead the residents are a very close family unit.:Smile:

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Broken Link Removed

Buncefield only puts oil into the ground and flames and smoke into the air
:Eeek::Eeek:

Mind it was a big bang when it went up, the biggest in peacetime Europe by all accounts.

Maybe that had something to do with it.

The sink hole is probably just over 1/2 mile away from the boundary of Buncefield.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
e
I have done site investigation around there for the Buncefield project after the explosion and on the motorway works
it is substantial chalk deposits with washouts ther was also evidence of flint workings there is your answer collapsed chalk voided wash out or flint workings
missed the bit abut hamilhamsted
Yep now nearly ten years on and I remember it as if it were yesterday. The main explosion even ten miles from the site, the force lifted my loft hatch and moved a few things around. No fatalities must have been an act of god.
I have attached the HSE report as to why it happened should you be interested. It does mention the make up of the ground. The devastation for a mile or two around the site was incredible.
http://www.hse.gov.uk/comah/buncefield/buncefield-report.pdf

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Be careful what you say about Hemel Hemstead[HI] the residents are a very close family unit[/HI].:Smile:

images

I did not say a word......:RollEyes::RollEyes:

Bebe

Free Member
May 22, 2013
Spain/East Yorkshire, Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2001
China's Atlantis in progress? Or more appropriate ... Voyage to the centre of the earth. Could be ... One never knows ... frightening :whatthe:

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Isn't it a shame that one of these sink holes doesn't appear right in the centre of the House of commons - at PM question time???? It appears that even the floods don't enter that place.

Trikeman. :winky:

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
The BBC Horizon programme a couple of weeks ago (good timing) was quite interesting....if you could get past the OTT presenter and production.

iPlayer: Horizon - Swallowed by a Sinkhole

BBC News

Florida is largely made of limestone and as construction spreads across the state it's being built on top of potential sinkholes.

Not all as bad as the one in Guatemala though :Eeek:

_72711266_72679827.jpg

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
Sinkholes? I think I hit most of the buggers travelling south on Sunday. Didn't they used to be called potholes?

Last edited:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
stop worrying about petty sinkholes, theres a blxxdy big astriod 3x the size of a football pitch on its way past toady.:Eeek:

they say its going to pass 9 times the distance of the moon away, put Im putting my tin hat on:thumb:

oldsooty

Free Member
Oct 28, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Another sink hole in Ripon!!!, getting closer. Off to Spain in a week, wonder if they have any there.

Keith

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back