Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Pretty sure we have a lot of ex Scouts on the forum.. :thumb:
any active members ?

I was member for most of my teenage years .. the 63rd Ayrshire .. have great memories and made some great friends.. so when Charlotte asked about joining I was really pleased.. if not a little surprised..

Looked up the local groups and the nearest one is the 5th Sea Scouts in Woodbridge.. but I told her not to be disappointed, they may have a waitinVg list ..

Anyway.. a phone call later and being told they were full up but if I wanted to volunteer they would have a place.. talk about blackmail.. :roflmto:

Of course I said.. yes, would love to get involved again .. so off we trotted last evening and had out first meeting.. great group of kids.. had a very nice evening, saw what they had been up to over the past year.. wow , how things have moved on.. and of course being Sea Scouts much of their adventure is spent either on or close to the river. They have their own kayaks and sailing dinghies .. Charlotte had a great night and came home full of enthusiasm.. when do I get my uniform she kept asking..

So, a new hobby.. and if all goes well with my application, we will be spending a week in April at Portsmouth with the RN and living aboard a warship .. :Smile:

I was a scout and ran a troop for five years
53rd Hartlepool troop
Went to many jambouries. ( not sure of the spelling)
Went canooing in Norway when I was 14yrats old
Life is full of great memories
Enjoy your return to the good life

Last edited:
OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Update

Just an update..

CRB check, (now known as a 'Disclosure') has been successful.

Had a successful interview with the selection committee and have joined and started training ..

This Friday I will be running the final part of the Chef Activity Badge, the Scouts will cook a three course meal ..

Menu.

Starter .. Tomato soup
Main... Chicken curry
Sweet ... Apple crumble with fresh cream..

On Saturday I will be doing a First Aid course ..

In May we have a one week camp at HMS Bristol, the RN training ship moored at Whale Island in Portsmouth .. looking forward to that.:Smile:

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Just an update..

CRB check, (now known as a 'Disclosure') has been successful.

Had a successful interview with the selection committee and have joined and started training ..

This Friday I will be running the final part of the Chef Activity Badge, the Scouts will cook a three course meal ..

Menu.

Starter .. Tomato soup
Main... Chicken curry
Sweet ... Apple crumble with fresh cream..

On Saturday I will be doing a First Aid course ..

In May we have a one week camp at[HI] HMS Bristol[/HI], the RN training ship moored at Whale Island in Portsmouth .. looking forward to that.:Smile:

Old Ships::bigsmile: I did a loan draft to the Bristol in the late 80's...fixing the Sea dart system...very strange ship, as in being a one off somewhat alien in the fleet!!

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Welcome aboard Jim,the best part is that you too can behave like an overgrown kid and get away with it-I'm 63 and on camp and other scout activities my inner child/idiot comes out.
Also you can achieve many skills in water borne activities as well as camping skills.
If your area does Gang Shows-that's the next step! We've just finished ours although I gave up treading the boards years ago,I am now stage manager.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
My old scout troop.. the 63rd Ayrshire .. at summer camp 1968

sadly I wasn't at this camp

anyone else with old Scouting pictures?

Attachments

• Scouts 63rd Ayrshire 1968.jpg
    Scouts 63rd Ayrshire 1968.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Well Jim hoping you are still enjoying you scouting as much as I am my cadetting find it very rewarding
Good luck
:thumb:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Well Jim hoping you are still enjoying you scouting as much as I am my cadetting find it very rewarding
Good luck

thanks, and yes it is very enjoyable and rewarding ..

not long back from a week on HMS Bristol , the RN training ship at Portsmouth .. hard work but a great time

a short video .

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhZ5Atv-bX8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhZ5Atv-bX8[/ame]

scally

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 15, 2010
essex and lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Eldiss Autoquest 320
Exp
since 1998
Yes still, for my sins, a Leader. Our group was the forth group in the world to be inaugurated. The photo, with the ladies in their long dresses and with parasols still hangs in the hut. Now seeing as Scouting will not recognize who was actually first, I struggle to fathom how they work out our forth. :ROFLMAO:

my first cub pack and scout group was 1st.St Albans. our hut was at the bottom of Holywell Hill. I used to walk from Catherine St, no probs in those days 1948 to1951 Martin

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i was a cub for aboiut 12 weeks and then a woodcrafter which was better as even in those days it was mixed oh the fun we had in tthe tents
very international i went to a world camp in scunthorpe kids from all around the world and the highlight was a torch light meeting in an old iron quarry, we went to scunthorpe recently but i couldnt find any quarries i assume they were all filled in

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
thanks, and yes it is very enjoyable and rewarding ..

not long back from a week on HMS Bristol , the RN training ship at Portsmouth .. hard work but a great time

a short video .

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhZ5Atv-bX8"]HMS Bristol Sea Scout Summer Camp 2013 (short version) - YouTube[/ame][/QUe

Well dune Jim nice video to keep up the good work if wee met up we will swap notes over a gallon or two of beer:thumb:

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
not only was I a scout but I served on the Bristol when she was brand new in '73. Now that does make me feel old! Nice to see she is still afloat though.:Smile:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
not only was I a scout but I served on the Bristol when she was brand new in '73. Now that does make me feel old! Nice to see she is still afloat though.:Smile:

Well come on Cranky, get on the introduce yourself thread and tell us all about yourself.

Your Avatar looks very 'Bugatti' like, is it a 35B?

Anyway welcome to the best site on the interwebbythingy.......Griff

Bridie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2010
Bonnie Dundee
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
Since July 2013
All this Scout stuff, thought I'd add a picture of the troop my Dad was in as a boy, the 1st Dunnichen 1924.

Found it recently and sent a copy to the local paper.
Broken Link Removed

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
popeye, if only the bugatti was mine! Its my dream classic.
Cant afford motorhomes and Bugatti's!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back