scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Pretty sure we have a lot of ex Scouts on the forum.. :thumb:
any active members ?

I was member for most of my teenage years .. the 63rd Ayrshire .. have great memories and made some great friends.. so when Charlotte asked about joining I was really pleased.. if not a little surprised..

Looked up the local groups and the nearest one is the 5th Sea Scouts in Woodbridge.. but I told her not to be disappointed, they may have a waiting list ..

Anyway.. a phone call later and being told they were full up but if I wanted to volunteer they would have a place.. talk about blackmail.. :roflmto:

Of course I said.. yes, would love to get involved again .. so off we trotted last evening and had out first meeting.. great group of kids.. had a very nice evening, saw what they had been up to over the past year.. wow , how things have moved on.. and of course being Sea Scouts much of their adventure is spent either on or close to the river. They have their own kayaks and sailing dinghies .. Charlotte had a great night and came home full of enthusiasm.. when do I get my uniform she kept asking..

So, a new hobby.. and if all goes well with my application, we will be spending a week in April at Portsmouth with the RN and living aboard a warship .. :Smile:

Last edited:

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Scouts

Strange breed :

Believed to live North of Carlisle
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Yes still, for my sins, a Leader. Our group was the forth group in the world to be inaugurated. The photo, with the ladies in their long dresses and with parasols still hangs in the hut. Now seeing as Scouting will not recognize who was actually first, I struggle to fathom how they work out our forth. :ROFLMAO:

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Well done Jim and Charlotte.
Neil was a scout, and went on a world jamboree to America when he was 16.

He was an assistant cub leader for a couple of years in Bethnal Green, London in the early 1980s.

The got involved in scouting in Ongar in the 90s, becoming a scout leader, and I his assistant. We did this for nearly 10 years, it was really hard work but very rewarding.

Even though we left the scouts over 10 years ago now we often see our scouts young men now, who come out of their way to say hello.

It always amazed me how many of the parents of our scouts who thought that the leaders were paid and not doing it voluntarily.

Pat

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I was a scout leader a few years back, I am currently a cub scout leader. Infact we are taking our pack away on winter camp next week.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I was a sea-scout and selfishly joined just to learn to sail. 3rd Salisbury Sea Scouts.

I have to admit though we were a smart bunch. We were the only troop marching when all the others were walking on the St George's Day Parade.

I was approached to be leader or assistant leader many years later; no thanks.

Well done Jim and Charlotte, make the most of it and you'd better visit if you're down in Portsmouth. We could take my yacht out and sail around the warships in Portsmouth Harbour.............. :thumb:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
i was a scout up till i was 16
then when one of my son's join the army cadet's was asked if i would help as a civy instructor that didn't last long back in to the green skin years later i was RSM when i left i was ruining the adventurous training teem top rope ab sale kayaking instructor level 4 mltb winter and summer but had to level owing to work commitments now help out with the scouts just do a bit of kayak instructing from time to time.

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
So, a new hobby.. and if all goes well with my application, we will be spending a week in April at Portsmouth with the RN and living aboard a warship .. :Smile:

You got lucky!!! They towed away the old prison hulk some years ago. :ROFLMAO:

Still, watch out for the three badge stokers. :Eeek:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Update

About six weeks has now passed and Charlotte has been invested as a Sea Scout .. but I'm still waiting for my CRB check..
As I had no address for three years this has been a problem.. the Scout computer ( read jobsworth) doesn't know how to handle an applicant who has travelled full time.. :RollEyes:

I wrote a letter explaining, even included some photos of where we had been with the dates but as of today, it's still not been settled.. I hope to hear from them this week..

short video of Chaz being invested.. excuse sound and vision quality.. shot with a mobile phone..

http://youtu.be/W3_gtGO-Vt0

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Jim

This video contains content from EMI, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
About six weeks has now passed and Charlotte has been invested as a Sea Scout .. but I'm still waiting for my CRB check..
As I had no address for three years this has been a problem.. the Scout computer ( read jobsworth) doesn't know how to handle an applicant who has travelled full time.. :RollEyes:

I wrote a letter explaining, even included some photos of where we had been with the dates but as of today, it's still not been settled.. I hope to hear from them this week..

short video of Chaz being invested.. excuse sound and vision quality.. shot with a mobile phone..

http://youtu.be/W3_gtGO-Vt0

Its not the Scouts computer Jim,it is the CRBs computer supplied by the same private firm that does DVLA and passport! Clearance can take up to 12 weeks. You could still help with meetings as a CRB is for 'substantial unsupervised access'
I have been involved in the Scouts since 11,my parents were also involved. I have been County staff;PRO,Radio and Expedition Adviser,various District Commissioner roles. Latterly I curated the 2007 Centenary Exhibition (It all started in Birkenhead) have been Explorer Commissioner and now I am District adviser for Creative Activities. My wife and daughters are Beaver and cub leaders. Our group is also an RN recognised Sea Scout group and my eldest daughters chap is a serving PO,so she is the first to attend events in Plymouth.
If it makes you feel any better,Bears Grylls was 'blackmailed' the same way when he wanted his kids to join my pals local group, and he was Chief Scout!
We have a family camp every 2 years and the number of parents who volunteer afterwards grows each time.
A motorhome or caravan is very useful when at camp as a security office but especially a bolthole! It also helps if other half isn't keen on Scouting but can still come along .

Last edited:
OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Jim

This video contains content from EMI, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

sorry about that.. thanks for letting me know

Its not the Scouts computer Jim,it is the CRBs computer supplied by the same private firm that does DVLA and passport! Clearance can take up to 12 weeks. You could still help with meetings as a CRB is for 'substantial unsupervised access'
I have been involved in the Scouts since 11,my parents were also involved. I have been County staff;PRO,Radio and Expedition Adviser,various District Commissioner roles. Latterly I curated the 2007 Centenary Exhibition (It all started in Birkenhead) have been Explorer Commissioner and now I am District adviser for Creative Activities. My wife and daughters are Beaver and cub leaders. Our group is also an RN recognised Sea Scout group and my eldest daughters chap is a serving PO,so she is the first to attend events in Plymouth.
If it makes you feel any better,Bears Grylls was 'blackmailed' the same way when he wanted his kids to join my pals local group, and he was Chief Scout!
We have a family camp every 2 years and the number of parents who volunteer afterwards grows each time.
A motorhome or caravan is very useful when at camp as a security office but especially a bolthole! It also helps if other half isn't keen on Scouting but can still come along .

thanks for the insight .. and info.

just another example of problems that can crop up after you've been fulltime.

Last edited:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I had to have a CRB check last year - it took over 4 months Jim.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I had to have a CRB check last year - it took over 4 months Jim.

I guess it depends on how much 'digging' they need/want to do.. another guy who started at the same time had his in two weeks.. he's asking what have I been up to .. :roflmto:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Any period that they can't account for is a pain. For all they know you could have been in jail abroad etc. I've had some serious run-ins with the CRB, they do get to the bottom of things eventually but they are terribly slow. hopefully they'll get there soon, I feel that your keen to get started:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Partly a waste of time.

if you ARE an unconvicted child sex predator and get CRB clearance to work with kids, it just means you aint been caught yet. :Doh:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Oh God, I had to just have a CRB check to visit a hospital as a ruddy volunteer, to do a specific job as a lay reviewer looking at ONE clinic for ADULTS only, for ONE day where I never had unsupervised access to anything except when I went to the loo. The whole working time I was accompanied by my mates for the day, a Hospital Consultant from a different hospital trust and a GP from Manchester.

Couldn't be done by post, had to make a 60 mile round trip to the hospital in question for a meeting that llasted approx 4 minutes.

Which reminds me, they owe me over £60 expenses they haven't paid me yet .....

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Partly a waste of time.

if you ARE an unconvicted child sex predator and get CRB clearance to work with kids, it just means you aint been caught yet. :Doh:

yes indeed John.. but they do a bit more digging than that , not just whether you have any convictions or even been arrested..

you also need two references form people who have known you at least five years.. and how you behave with your own kids etc

but as you say, it's not foolproof, and we shouldn't be complacent just because a teacher/leader or carer has been cleared..

what is known is that a pedo rarely starts offending in mid or late life..

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I didn't know it included arrests.

I have been arrested quite a few times.:Eeek:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Last edited:
OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Any period that they can't account for is a pain. For all they know you could have been in jail abroad etc. I've had some serious run-ins with the CRB, they do get to the bottom of things eventually but they are terribly slow. hopefully they'll get there soon, I feel that your keen to get started:thumb:

yes, absolutely correct Jim .. I felt like writing and telling them I had been a guest of Uncle Sam in Cuba :roflmto:

as for keen, yes.. very much, but was starting to get fed up ..
at last count I had answered 18 emails ...

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I didn't know it included arrests.

I have been arrested quite a few times.:Eeek:
certainly does, but it depends for what and what the job is you need it for.

if they are completely unrelated it shouldnt make any difference.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
I had to have a CRB for every post I hold both professionally and in a voluntary capacity. I currently hold 6! The original concept was that on first application you were given a number which would be quoted whenever a query was made and should have been turned around within 48 hours. That was until the Home Office went to a private contracter for its IT system including the Holmes system and from then on it went downhill. In the death throws of the last Liebour maladministration they introduced a new scheme which.like everything else,went of at half cock.
Anyway back on thread,nice video intro music could be better what about this?
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbvoW7u48k0"]Riding Along on the Crest of a Wave ( Gang Show anthem ) - YouTube[/ame]
Chaz will have a lot of fun and enjoyment especially if she gets into Scout Gang Shows.
Start making a campfire blanket,poncho style, for her with badges sewn on,we did it for our 2 girls,now in their 20s and they treasure them as it reminds them of their travels.
You could demonstrate sewing machines and even repair canvas etc or make tents!

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
certainly does, but it depends for what and what the job is you need it for.

if they are completely unrelated it shouldnt make any difference.

Carrying an air gun without a cover, being pissed, being on an anti apartheid march in Bristol in 1983, getting pissed, mooning at a police car from the back of a rugby bus and getting pissed.

I think that covers it

I reckon I am ok unless I want to be a bus driver or work in a pub.::bigsmile:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Update

Things are looking up.. no CRB yet.. but

I have an invitation to meet the Training manager and the Appointments committee tonight..

best brush up on my Scout promise... :roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back