The remit of IT staff grows ever wider! (1 Viewer)

G1DOL

Free Member
Aug 21, 2010
West Oxford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Started 2011
A few years ago when I managed the IT Helpdesk for a local authority. I had a job ticket in asking us to fix the light above a user's desk, as it keeps turning off. I've been asked to look at photocopiers before, but.... LIGHTS!. :Doh:

My reply was:

After a thorough examination of your PC, we have determined the source of the problem. Not only is the PC not running the appropriate software to control the lighting in the room, it does not have a connection to the lighting circuit through either a proprietary interface or the standard RS-232 protocol. We recommend purchasing a new lighting controller for your PC, at an approx cost of £2000 (quotation attached)

The user never got back to us, wonder why? :ROFLMAO:

Bob.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
One of our engineers went out to a call about a malfunctioning keyboard. The PC user and her colleagues swore blind that it had just stopped working for no apparent reason. The engineer had a look at it and a good sniff and asked who liked their coffee sweet.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
After a thorough examination of your PC, we have determined the source of the problem. Not only is the PC not running the appropriate software to control the lighting in the room, it does not have a connection to the lighting circuit through either a proprietary interface or the standard RS-232 protocol. We recommend purchasing a new lighting controller for your PC, at an approx cost of £2000 (quotation attached)

Bob.

Probably labelled you a complete tosser. That's techie humor, lost on losers.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
The Personal Assistant to a very senior manager rang the IT helpdesk in a panic to say that whilst her boss was in a meeting she had used his computer as it was faster than hers, but had spilt coffee on the keyboard.

She also said that he would be back after the meeting in about 2 hours and was there anything they could do.

IT explained that they could only offer advice with such a short time-frame to work to (keyboard faults were low priority and it would be the next day before a technician could attend)

They explained that most keyboard/coffee issues wear due to the sugar content and the problems after the coffee dried would be the sticky residue.

They told her that if she took the keyboard to the sink and ran hot water over it for a couple of minutes and dried it on a radiator that it should be fine and if not they would send a technician the next day. At the very least her boss should not notice that she had spilt coffee on it.

The PA thanked them and said she would try it.

About 3 hours later the IT department received a call form the PA's rather irate boss.

He wanted to know which b****rd had told his PA to wash his LAPTOP in the sink!!!:whatthe::shout::Doh:::bigsmile:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
When on day shift a while ago someone changed some letters on the keyboard it was just the B and the C so when the night shift came in they couldnt get their passwords to work as all passwords start with the letter of your shift B shift C shift they eventually called the computer section out and took them a wee while to work it out no one has owned up to it yet :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

MR2

Free Member
Jul 10, 2009
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5+years
It

A few years ago when I managed the IT Helpdesk for a local authority. I had a job ticket in asking us to fix the light above a user's desk, as it keeps turning off. I've been asked to look at photocopiers before, but.... LIGHTS!. :Doh:

My reply was:

Bob.
You must have been one of my clients 'cos it sounds like the sort of prices I used to quote particularly for supplies!! ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back