The rat will not go in the trap (1 Viewer)

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
So Claymores didn't work eh? Neighbour took out a noise abatement order maybe?

Ok option B 20mm Cannon, BUT remember that great Viet General Vo Nguyen Gap words of wisdom;

"Strike to win, Strike only when success is certain, or do not strike at all":winky:

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
hi Bob
Got an excellent rat destroying air rifle here ( No1 sons but he says you can borrow-it)
Do you want to meet me half-way ??
It's yours till you get-im

cheers nige

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
If iit was an irish rat all you need do is fix a razor blade to a flat piece of wood !
He`d run up to it looking and thinking wheres the ******* cheese and cut his own throat :whatthe:

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
siting here waiting

Sitting here now freezing cold with the patio doors open... waiting for RAT.. he was again this morning bold as brass digging the earth by the edge of the patio.. ignoring the trap a few feet away.. in to town to the gun shop and £45 light in the wallet I have an elcheap chinesse B1 air rifle.. boy are they heavy.. have sighted it in and now it is a waiting game.. would have preferred to trap him, but we have to get rid of him one way or the other.

Bob

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Sounds like you have made an investment.......if a rat is out in daylight, it means one thing!!

You have a very large colony....it is the only reason they go out in daylight.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
just what I wanted to know

Sounds like you have made an investment.......if a rat is out in daylight, it means one thing!!

You have a very large colony....it is the only reason they go out in daylight.

Now that is not what I wanted to know.. I am hoping he is the only one.. same colour every time.. I presume they are different colours? Anyway next door just phoned and said it is on there grass at the moment.. so sitting here waiting ... elcheapo air rifle at the ready...

£45 not bad including a box of .22 pellets.. typical Chinese .. poor quality wood and very heavy.. but I am sure it will do the job.. was surprised when I went on line just how far air guns had progressed... but you cannot order by post anymore it is collect only and have your details entered in to the shop fire arms book.

Bob

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Well, I'm getting into this now! Any chance of you setting up a web cam so we can follow !
Have you tried any practice shots yet or are you expecting a clean kill on the first attempt.
Looking forward to some pictures at least!

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Now that is not what I wanted to know.. I am hoping he is the only one.. same colour every time.. I presume they are different colours? Anyway next door just phoned and said it is on there grass at the moment.. so sitting here waiting ... elcheapo air rifle at the ready...

£45 not bad including a box of .22 pellets.. typical Chinese .. poor quality wood and very heavy.. but I am sure it will do the job.. was surprised when I went on line just how far air guns had progressed... but you cannot order by post anymore it is collect only and have your details entered in to the shop fire arms book.

Bob

It may not be on your property...so there is a bright side!

Know your Enemy!

Wild Rats come in two colours, Brown or Black. Brown rats are more commonly found around farms etc, Black are more common around sewers and water. (Other colours are pet or 'fancy' rats)

They will set up home near a good food source - so look around locally at where that could be...Birds (averies/chickens etc), Waste dumps (including near street corners where rubbish is dumped) or takeaway/shop areas where food can be found, and abandoned property. It will be nearby where the colony is based.

Once they are set up, they breed like fury - and when the food source can no longer sustain the colony feed demands, they will go further afield to scout out or use other sources.

If the foraging further afield along with the main food source cannot sustain the colony through nocturnal foraging alone, then they will forage day and night. Which is the only time you will find them out in daylight.

Rats are very intelligent, and never underestimate how clever they are! What you need to do with traps, is the trace the main 'runways' they will always be near walls or along edges - they won't go into the open when travelling. The main entry/exit runs is where the traps need to be set.

You need to change things regularly as rats learn fast and never make the same mistake twice. Once they know a trap is there, they will avoid it. The rat you saw trying to get to the bait through the sides KNOWS it is a trap, thus he is working out how to overcome it. You can confuse them by covering the trap with some dark material.

Good luck! A get practising with your target shooting.

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
yes have worked out the range

Yes worked out the range.. have tried a few practice shots and I am within the area I want.. have adjusted the back sight.. no telescopic needed for this sort of range.

Yes I want a clean kill ... head if I can.. no pain... I have had a couple of chances this morning, but not clear head shot... I can wait.

I used to shot a BSA .22 live ammo with martini action... years ago belonged to a gun club..

Bob

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Yes worked out the range.. have tried a few practice shots and I am within the area I want.. have adjusted the back sight.. no telescopic needed for this sort of range.

Yes I want a clean kill ... head if I can.. no pain... I have had a couple of chances this morning, but not clear head shot... I can wait.

I used to shot a BSA .22 live ammo with martini action... years ago belonged to a gun club..

Bob

Ahhh! So the Rat has actually helped you rekindle an old love of air gunning. Funny how these things work!

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Well, I'm getting into this now! Any chance of you setting up a web cam so we can follow !
Have you tried any practice shots yet or are you expecting a clean kill on the first attempt.
Looking forward to some pictures at least!

I've got visions of bob
in a (jasper carrot shooting his mole mode)
wheelchair wildly firing
at this poor misguided rat

Sorry not meaning to upset

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fePU5CIHpas&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
no offence taken, an understanding is desirable

I've got visions of bob
in a (jasper carrot shooting his mole mode)
wheelchair wildly firing
at this poor misguided rat

Sorry not meaning to upset

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fePU5CIHpas&feature=youtube_gdata_player

No offence taken.. I could see the funny side of that... good job there is not much of a recoil in an air rifle... otherwise I would take off going backwards... I was sitting in the chair leaning on a cushion on the table and had his area well covered.. fired and he took off.. do not think I have winged him.. just scared him.. he will be back.... better be I want a use for the air rifle.. other wise an expensive kill.... one rat catcher £20 one air rifle £45 plus petrol to collect both:Blush::Blush::Blush::Blush:

Rolands days are numbered.

Bob

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
it is a long way from Bright to Tunbridge wells

I bet these rats are the ones you did not get off :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Could well be.. but my clients or RATS came from the Brighton area (not so far from the CC site near WhiteHawk estate )... so I think it is a bit far for them to travel.. who knows..

but some interesting information about rats in this thread... learning a lot.

Bob

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
interesting information

It may not be on your property...so there is a bright side!

Know your Enemy!

Wild Rats come in two colours, Brown or Black. Brown rats are more commonly found around farms etc, Black are more common around sewers and water. (Other colours are pet or 'fancy' rats)

They will set up home near a good food source - so look around locally at where that could be...Birds (averies/chickens etc), Waste dumps (including near street corners where rubbish is dumped) or takeaway/shop areas where food can be found, and abandoned property. It will be nearby where the colony is based.

Once they are set up, they breed like fury - and when the food source can no longer sustain the colony feed demands, they will go further afield to scout out or use other sources.

If the foraging further afield along with the main food source cannot sustain the colony through nocturnal foraging alone, then they will forage day and night. Which is the only time you will find them out in daylight.

Rats are very intelligent, and never underestimate how clever they are! What you need to do with traps, is the trace the main 'runways' they will always be near walls or along edges - they won't go into the open when travelling. The main entry/exit runs is where the traps need to be set.

You need to change things regularly as rats learn fast and never make the same mistake twice. Once they know a trap is there, they will avoid it. The rat you saw trying to get to the bait through the sides KNOWS it is a trap, thus he is working out how to overcome it. You can confuse them by covering the trap with some dark material.

Good luck! A get practising with your target shooting.

interesting information.. thanks

Bob

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
My £20 B & Q rat trap is still sitting there with no rat in it... had it out now for a couple of weeks... I sat here a few moments ago and watched him... I presume it is a him.... [HI]anyway he was climbing up and down the garden pots and even sitting on the head of a Bill & Ben man...[/HI] he came down nosed the trap.. went round and round it, tried to get the food from the side via the grill.. but will he go in...NO.. so we have tried kit hat.. cat food dry, cat food from a tin.. any ideas?

At this rate it will be buying a air riffle.

Bob:Angry:

So is the rat outside, in your garden?
Why do you want to kill it? Maybe I'm missing something, but if he (and others I expect) are outside I can't see a problem.
If he's in your house then that could be troublesome and a Jack Russell (or similar) is your fastest solution.

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Rats, rats and more rats

So is the rat outside, in your garden?
Why do you want to kill it? Maybe I'm missing something, but if he (and others I expect) are outside I can't see a problem.
If he's in your house then that could be troublesome and a Jack Russell (or similar) is your fastest solution.

The rat is in the garden... we have a cat flap and of course Ezzie and a cat and family of foxes at the bottom of the garden (every year for the past 7 years a new family).. so poison is not an option. The rat trap does not seem to work.. so it is now the .22 air rifle...

If he lived in the garden fine.. but he is all over the patio very close to the house.. 2 /3 feet of hugging the wall of the house. I do not want him or her in the workshop or my office of the garage.. first time in 20 years we have seen one.. he seems to go between our house and the one next door which is 6' low down than us as we are on a hill.. he is p and down now issues.. he climbs all over Sues flower pots and now has taken a shine to the gazebo .. worse than a kitten.

Back on gun patrol tomorrow.

Bob:winky:

kex66

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
You are right to get rid Bob but make sure the .22 is powerful enough. No one wants to see an animal suffer (even a rat). I have a Daystate Airwolf .22 and that will just about do the job with a large rat.

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I am only 3 / 4 mtrs from it

You are right to get rid Bob but make sure the .22 is powerful enough. No one wants to see an animal suffer (even a rat). I have a Daystate Airwolf .22 and that will just about do the job with a large rat.

I am only 3 to 4 mtrs from where it comes to.. so it is well within a safe range.. tested it on the wooden fence beside the area.. pellets well embedded in the wood. One of my concerns was a clean kill.. hence I prefer to have caught it in a trap .. it may be classed as vermin, but it still has a right to life.. I will continue to bate the trap and if that should work then I will be happy, otherwise I will wait a clean shot.

But your remarks are well noted.

Bob

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Shoulders back lovely boy . At one hundred yards volley present............... wait for it ...........FIRE !!!!! :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
It is raining hard and windy

Shoulders back lovely boy . At one hundred yards volley present............... wait for it ...........FIRE !!!!! :ROFLMAO:

If anyone thinks I am going to sit here today (Tuesday) with the french windows open with it raining hard and windy waiting for Rolland to stick his head out.. then you are drafter than me. Yes the gun is open, the pellet is in the barrel (not cocked yet) the key has been used to unlock the sliding door.. and I am at my dinning table writing this with a weather eye for movement for Roland.. but if he has any sense he will sty also in doors to day.

The continuing tales of Roland...............:winky:

Bob:Blush:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Where is the Justice for Roland..
What about his/her rights for a family life...

=ALF_Logo.gif

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back