Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
My worry is the government will put a tax on toilet paper, no reusables there! I hope :sicker:

I revoke that, it will probably give the powers that be an idea, 1p per sheet! :confused:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
some shops have gone back to paper bags for small items and they can give them out free
Primark have been using paper bags for some time now.
Last week I bought a new shaver from Boots and the counter assistant put that in a paper bag.
Shopping in Sainsburys the other day the cashier told us a customer came in and produced a roll of plastic bags to pack his shopping, bought in the Pound Shop, 40 on a roll I think she said for a errm, a pound.
When we had our business I bought a box of 2000 plain white carrier bags to use at family history fairs. They cost me no more than 1p each (including carriage). It will be a long time before we run out of bin liners :LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I agree that you should take your own bags but there are times when I think a bag should be supplied FOC for some items (it can easily be paper though) such as when you buy a card as the last thing you want to do it carry it in your grubby hands for ages and then find it's not 'clean' enough to use!

If you want to get really annoyed have a look at what the supermarkets are charging for home delivery in carrier bags although you can opt out of it but how 'clear' that option is I don't know, this is Sainsbury's:

Broken Link Removed

We are obliged by law to charge for the use of carrier bags. We apply a 40p charge to all orders that use carrier bags and the proceeds are distributed to local good causes.

This is a compulsory fee that will be automatically added to your basket for deliveries on or after 5 October 2015, should you choose to receive your groceries in plastic bags. This charge will appear in your online trolley and on the receipt you receive with your shopping.

We now offer the option for you to choose whether you would like to have your order delivered with or without carrier bag. If you select not to receive bags you will not be charged the 40p carrier bag charge. You can select whether to have your order delivered with or without carrier bags on the checkout page.

Tesco give you the choice of bagless delivery too ... I bet the delivery drivers love it!:rolleyes:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Morrisons "bag for life" are the dogs do da's, 40p to buy, once its gets tatty simply hand it back and get a new one.

Better quality bags and you're "in profit" after 8 weeks.
Not just morrisons.....Waitrose have the same return replacement policy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Someone at the car boot sale this morning had a supermarket re-usable bag, can't remember which store but it could be Tesco as they have one listed on the website but no image ... it was covered in minions ... want one! :)

OP
OP
Big bus man

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
I've had an idea :D ..........How about instead of going into town either taking a carrier bag or buying one why not buy online and get it delivered the next day :tounge: Oh hang on they are already doing that, BLAST, I thought I had a dragon's den moment there, just the one floor in my idea though, It puts thousands of extra vehicles on our roads many with less that perfect driver skills and most can't even speak decent english, so no that's a terrible idea, best go for option two then, government officials have chauffeur drivens car but only use them for silly little trips, why not have these drivers use their cars to deliver our goods 'URIKA', no that won't work either, they don't have time between polishing and driving their boss to the mistresses in their second home. Guess it is option three then, offer free bags and have a charity box on the counter :clap:.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I've had an idea :D ..........How about instead of going into town either taking a carrier bag or buying one why not buy online and get it delivered the next day :tounge: Oh hang on they are already doing that, BLAST, I thought I had a dragon's den moment there, just the one floor in my idea though, It puts thousands of extra vehicles on our roads many with less that perfect driver skills and most can't even speak decent english, so no that's a terrible idea, best go for option two then, government officials have chauffeur drivens car but only use them for silly little trips, why not have these drivers use their cars to deliver our goods 'URIKA', no that won't work either, they don't have time between polishing and driving their boss to the mistresses in their second home. Guess it is option three then, offer free bags and have a charity box on the counter :clap:.

there's an 'option 4 ' though if you read the rules. don't charge the customer . pay the 5k fine reduced by 50% for early payment. :LOL:

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
They can stuff the 5p charge.
I will not pay it out of principal, I will not be forced into charity donation.
I was always under the impression charity donations were voluntary.
I bought some loose fruit and veg the other day from a stall and asked do I have to pay for the bag. Of course not came the reply good man thought I.
How do they control the bags at self service I would like to know

OP
OP
Big bus man

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
I may be wrong but I believe the ruling is that if a company employs less than 250 people they do not have to pay the donation to the government, they are still suppose to charge for the bags so I have no idea about who pay what but I do agree with 'richr' that we should not be forced into charity donations.
"good causes", naturally this will require a huge office to administer our donations and take it upon themselves to decide what qualifies as a good cause, I don't want to support facilities to allow someone to run faster I want to support those that will never be able to run.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
To be honest I do not care!
I would be happy if they charge £1 a carrier!
The big problem is they take donkeys years to bio degrade!
They kill farm animals and wildlife on land and at sea!
For what? Cos folk are too idle to take their own bags which are dirt cheap!

I will now dismount my high horse and replenish my wine glass! :rolleyes::rofl:

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Do dog owners use reusable bags for dog crap now ?:giggler:

OP
OP
Big bus man

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
Salmon get farmed other fish get harmed (y)

Oct 5, 2009
anglesey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
since 1999
We used to use the plastic carrier bags to put the rubbish in before placing in the dust bin because we are on fortnightly collections.
We now use black bin bags to stop the rubbish smelling to bad so don't really save on bag use.
Council or now suggesting going from 2 to 4 weekly collections

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I may be wrong but I believe the ruling is that if a company employs less than 250 people they do not have to pay the donation to the government, they are still suppose to charge for the bags so I have no idea about who pay what but I do agree with 'richr' that we should not be forced into charity donations.
"good causes", naturally this will require a huge office to administer our donations and take it upon themselves to decide what qualifies as a good cause, I don't want to support facilities to allow someone to run faster I want to support those that will never be able to run.
Not quite right, if you employ less than 250 full-time equivalent staff in a year then you do NOT have to make a charge at all, although you are encouraged to do so voluntarily, and there are certain circumstances where a charge should NOT be made:

Food and plants
You don’t charge for plastic bags that are for:

• uncooked fish and fish products
  • uncooked meat, poultry and their products
  • unwrapped food for animal or human consumption - eg chips, or food in containers that aren’t secure enough to prevent leakage during handling
  • unwrapped loose seeds
  • flowers
  • bulbs, corms or rhizomes (roots, stems and shoots, such as ginger).
  • goods contaminated by soil (like potatoes or plants)

Products

You don’t have to charge for bags:

• for unwrapped blades, including axes, knives, and knife and razor blades
  • for prescription medicine
  • used for a service, but there is no sale of goods, eg dry cleaning

Live fish and aquatic creatures

You don’t have to charge for bags holding live fish or other aquatic creatures.

A lot of supermarkets already support local charities so I would imagine that the 'income' received will just go to them after some 'allowable' deductions.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Lidl have always charged for carrier bags around here. I think they were 5p with a bag for life type bag for about 12p, if I had to buy one I always got the heavy duty version and reused it if I remembered (not often)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Lidl have always charged for carrier bags around here. I think they were 5p with a bag for life type bag for about 12p, if I had to buy one I always got the heavy duty version and reused it if I remembered (not often)
Yes, Lidl, Aldi, Netto (when they existed) always charged for bags, it kept their costs down which benefitted the customers who didn't need them, I remember at one time they didn't even supply shopping baskets so a carboard box was the only 'container' for your stuff, or alternatively it was quite common, especially abroad, for customers to put their shopping in their own bags and then empty them out at the checkout before re-filling them with the goods again, thankfully they now supply shopping baskets.

Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
All very well imposing a tax on plastic bags to carry the shopping in (I have been taking my own bags for ages anyway) but when is the problem of plastic packaging going to be tackled at source, ie the welded plastic packing that needs tin snips to access the goods inside, the fruit packed in layers of plastic etc etc

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I bought some loose fruit and veg the other day from a stall and asked do I have to pay for the bag. Of course not came the reply good man thought I.
Less than 250 employees so they don't have to charge.
How do they control the bags at self service I would like to know
In Asda you have to ask for a bag. Dunno about the others.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Nobody is forced to make a charity donation. The 5p charge is there to try to reduce usage of plastic bags which are then discarded because too many of our fellow citizens can't be bothered to reuse them and/or are litter louts. There are plenty of reusable bags around, just like there were when many of us were kids and plastic bags hadn't been (or had only just been) invented.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
The charge makes you think. It is utterly doing my nut in.. I miss paper bags and I wish the carrier had never been invented but I simply cannot carry bags in my pocket just in case I want to pick up some bits while I'm out and about so I keep getting hit with the 5p charge

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Tesco have always offered bag- free deliveries. We chose them because you got extra points and points mean Chunnel tickets. Deliveries come in trays which take no more time to unload onto the kitchen worktop than bags. All our local delivery drivers are quite happy with the idea.

When next you're in Europe buy some of the nylon packaway bags that cost about 1 euro from the likes of Monoprix or Auchan. They are available in UK but a couple of pounds often. They go in your pocket. I'm quite happy to buy a 5p new bag when I buy new clothes but I've always reused the bags afterwards.

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
it worked well in wales when it was introduced a few years back. now less discarded bags blowing about littering the place

5p a bag, like the OP ask's they should be £1 or more perhaps they won't be discarded so easily?

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Tesco have always offered bag- free deliveries. We chose them because you got extra points and points mean Chunnel tickets. Deliveries come in trays which take no more time to unload onto the kitchen worktop than bags. All our local delivery drivers are quite happy with the idea.

When next you're in Europe buy some of the nylon packaway bags that cost about 1 euro from the likes of Monoprix or Auchan. They are available in UK but a couple of pounds often. They go in your pocket. I'm quite happy to buy a 5p new bag when I buy new clothes but I've always reused the bags afterwards.
The problem is, my pockets are already full with keys phones cash cards poo bags dog treats ecigs etc

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
That being the case I should be going into WH Smith for another card and challenge them when they try to charge for a bag :) Not that I'm awkward of course :D
Oh yes you are!

Just love panto season. (y):LOL:

Reactions: GJH

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back