The Pound and holidays in Europe (1 Viewer)

Jul 10, 2014
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
3 years
Have just come back from an early 3 week trip to France. A regular visitor during all seasons over many years. Saw very few Brits about but enjoyed superb weather with no rain at all.

Could not believe the ferry home from St Malo which was pretty full especially with French which in itself was unusual. We were one of just 2 MH's on board and not a single caravan. Never seen that before even early in the season.

Is the exchange rate starting to have an affect?

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Macron was saying on TV yesterday that if Le Pen wins, and France leaves the Eurozone and adopts a new Franc as its currency, it would drop 30% against the Euro.

That would make France a real bargain destination again for us Brits.

Votez Le Pen pour President!

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Just a pity that the street cafe culture ambience would be somewhat marred by the crash of FN jackboots on the cobbles. My preference is for the non Le Pen exchange rate, if Monsieur Macron can get his derriere in gear and win :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Have just come back from an early 3 week trip to France... Could not believe the ferry home from St Malo which was pretty full especially with French which in itself was unusual. We were one of just 2 MH's on board..

Somewhat confirms my view that the UK is still not a popular destination for French MH owners, even if more of the others are coming our way.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Just a pity that the street cafe culture ambience would be somewhat marred by the crash of FN jackboots on the cobbles. My preference is for the non Le Pen exchange rate, if Monsieur Macron can get his derriere in gear and win :)
Marcon is said to be in favour of ripping up the agreement of having uk border controls in France, that would be a welcome change. Haha

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Marcon is said to be in favour of ripping up the agreement of having uk border controls in France, that would be a welcome change. Haha

Macron comes from a business finance background doesn't he? If it makes sense for Anglo-French trade he'll probably keep it. If not, why bother?

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I reckon he is just like any other politician, me me me then a little bit for the rest of us.

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
France election: Macron says EU must reform or face 'Frogxit'

Pro-EU centrist Emmanuel Macron made the comments as he and his far-right rival Marine Le Pen entered the last week of campaigning.

French voters go to the polls on Sunday to decide between the pair.

Ms Le Pen has capitalised on anti-EU feeling, and has promised a referendum on France's membership.

She won support in rural and former industrial areas by promising to retake control of France's borders from the EU and slash immigration.

Broken Link Removed

Vote trawling or genuine pledge to the people of La France?
Just like "Call me Dave", He won't get reform.
I hope he realises this, because he may have to give France a referendum.

Pete

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Moving away from the Le Pen/Macron thread, we have been away about 7 weeks and have seen about 6 motorhomes/PVCs. No idea where everyone is!

I thought everyone had rushed home for the snap election! (aye right as we say in Scotland!)

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
We came back last night had three fantastic weeks in Brittany and we didn't find it expensive. We only seen two British motorhomes in that time. loads of French on the road and we were the only motorhome on the Caen ferry back. no caravans either. I thought it a bit strange but hey ho more room for us:D

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Somewhat confirms my view that the UK is still not a popular destination for French MH owners, even if more of the others are coming our way.
Never seen any other than Dutch in the UK & they are mostly towing vans.

Reactions: DBK

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Macron was saying on TV yesterday that if Le Pen wins, and France leaves the Eurozone and adopts a new Franc as its currency, it would drop 30% against the Euro.

That would make France a real bargain destination again for us Brits.
Votez Le Pen pour President!
As M.Macron is the chosen candidate of The Rorhschilds there is (a) no chance he will lose, and (b) no way that they will leave the Euro. Even if Ms. Le Pen wins , which she won't anyway. It is arranged that way already, the votes are already counted even before the election has been held.

OP
OP
C
Jul 10, 2014
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
3 years
Thanks guys for the relevant posts. I certainly didn't ask for a lecture on current French politics!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
We came back last night had three fantastic weeks in Brittany and we didn't find it expensive. We only seen two British motorhomes in that time. loads of French on the road and we were the only motorhome on the Caen ferry back. no caravans either. I thought it a bit strange but hey ho more room for us:D
but it used to be very cheap in france spain etc .
when some of us say its getting expensive we mean compared to what it used to be . these days its either similar or just a bit more than uk. food doesnt seem cheaper anymore in europe .
beer /wine ,fags ,fuelyes they are cheaper . but these days its just go for the sun . well in winter anyway.

Reactions: DBK

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
when some of us say its getting expensive we mean compared to what it used to be . these days its either similar or just a bit more than uk. food doesnt seem cheaper anymore in europe .
beer /wine ,fags ,fuel yes they are cheaper . but these days its just go for the sun . well in winter anyway.
my son works in a supermarket in cornwall and says far more french dutch etc buying stocks of food to take back home as uk is cheaper in many cases .

OP
OP
C
Jul 10, 2014
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
3 years
You're lucky grey waste or generator never got slipped in as well, haha
That I could have happily coped with at least it's to do with MH's and it might have been interesting.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Last year we spent a number of nights in Canterbury P a r there were always. Foreign vans in one evening about 8 Italian vans arrived

Joe

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Whenever we ve asked French Camping Caristes about visiting the UK, the response is generally one of bemusement, among the main reasons are: they dont fancy driving on the other side of the road, think the weather would be terrible and do not expect British people to speak french. They are usually surprised at how reasonable the ferry cost is, which IMO only proves further that they ve never considered it.

I like France a lot, have been going for many years, can get by in the language but have to admit that they are a conservative lot more tha a little careful with their money and with few exceptions, not particularly adventurous and overall many of them genuinely expect to find all they want in one region or other of France.

Jon

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
beer /wine ,fags ,fuelyes they are cheaper . but these days its just go for the sun . well in winter anyway.

For us we thought the total cost was not bad. No it's not as cheap as it was but it's far from expensive. This year we thought it was similar prices to here for shopping 1.20 euro diesel up on last year but the big plus are the aires that you can save money if you so wish. What you don't get here you do in France is the motorhome friendly way of life. How much is that worth?

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I agree but then compared to France we don't offer any facilities in the way of parking or aires. Not MH friendly like France!
If The French have to pay for anything other than fuel they will not come to the UK. BUSBY,,

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Don't know what happened there:)
For us we thought the total cost was not bad. No it's not as cheap as it was but it's far from expensive. This year we thought it was similar prices to here for shopping 1.20 euro diesel up on last year but the big plus are the aires that you can save money if you so wish. What you don't get here you do in France is the motorhome friendly way of life. How much is that worth?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Don't know what happened there:)
i never use campsites here or abroad . there is always somewhere if you look hard .
i know i take about 200 quids worth of dried or tinned food away in winter . in truth might save 30-40 quid . 10p here 30pthere . not life threatening . but we play the game of how little can you spend in a foreign country all winter.
its only fun.
mind dont buy beer or wine in uk bring enough back to last till i go again.
there was a time when my kids were young we could go across to brittany for 5 days for 50 quid . buy petrol fags . beer wine and stock up with food all were much cheaper than uk . but prices have risen and pound dropped even back in the 90,s all makes a difference . in spain we payed 1.005 euro for diesel only last wednesday . every penny saved is more sweets or toys we can buy . we are only kids at heart. hee hee.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
That I could have happily coped with at least it's to do with MH's and it might have been interesting.
You wanted and answer I gave you one with the reason it is, No it will not get cheaper.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
i never use campsites here or abroad . there is always somewhere if you look hard .
i know i take about 200 quids worth of dried or tinned food away in winter . in truth might save 30-40 quid . 10p here 30pthere . not life threatening . but we play the game of how little can you spend in a foreign country all winter.
its only fun.
mind dont buy beer or wine in uk bring enough back to last till i go again.
there was a time when my kids were young we could go across to brittany for 5 days for 50 quid . buy petrol fags . beer wine and stock up with food all were much cheaper than uk . but prices have risen and pound dropped even back in the 90,s all makes a difference . in spain we payed 1.005 euro for diesel only last wednesday . every penny saved is more sweets or toys we can buy . we are only kids at heart. hee hee.
Same here really. But SHMBO likes some luxuries now and again so over 3 weeks we had 9 nights free so can't complain would have been happy as a pig in **** if I could have got the fuel for that price. Happy days::bigsmile:

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Looks like Fuel is around 1.20 euros atm still not bad at just over £1.

https://mon-essence.fr/?q=calais
upload_2017-5-1_21-35-36.png

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
what luxuries do you need . dont you have a shower or a washing machine etc . twintub rules . full oven cooker . like living in a flat but mobile . make bread , icecream if in the desert in maroc . we dont rough it .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back