The Portuguese National Police (GNR) Pay A Visit... (1 Viewer)

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
As per usual.............

We all use our motorhomes in many different ways depending on our needs and desires.

We all, over time, develop our preferences and rules.

I have motorhomed for a long time and I enjoy the independence and freedom to move. I do not enjoy being parked in one place for any length of time. I enjoy being in my van. I eat in my van and sit in my van... not outside it. I do not like awnings, levelling blocks, wind breaks and the like. I rarely stay on campsites. I don't camp in my van... I live in it.

Others are different and have the full Monty... BBQ's, table and chairs etc. Fair play to them all, we all enjoy different things.

But I am feeling a bit smug today. I realise "smugness" is a sin but I can't help myself.

This morning we were visited by the GNR. They went around the "off-site" unofficial parking location and looked at the vans one by one. They took pictures. I got out and asked what was happening and were we a problem.

The response was delivered calmly and very gently by a young policeman.

"In Portugal it is illegal to camp outside official campsites."

I smiled inwardly as I thought of the hundreds and hundreds of motorhomes not using sites.

"Parking here is ok but camping, with tables and chairs and, pointing to a van with levelling blocks, this is not.

He then pointed to my Hymer...

"This is parking... this is fine..."

As they went from van to van some didn't wait but rushed around packing away their tables and chairs and making a run for it. These people, without waiting to learn what was being said, will now, as I write this, no doubt being spreading the word that motorhomes have been "banned" by the GNR from Pedras. Simply not true.

As a massively keen "off-site" motorhomer I have always preferred to park away from the hoards of vans that gather in various locations and start to look like housing estates. I never "tie" my van down to the ground with awnings and the like. It is just as I prefer it.

But I feel 90% of Funsters use their vans differently to me and they prefer campsites where they can spread out and use all the things they bought from the shows... Cadacs and loungers and... and...

I think each to their own and there is no problem with either life style at all except, here in Portugal, I suggest if you want to "camp" you stay on campsites but if you enjoy "motorhoming" the way I do you will be fine if you are sensible.

JJ :Cool:

A concise, informative ( Re.Pedras ! :RollEyes:) and witty post from "The Master" and his people!!:Blush: Reading posts like this make me eager to be on my way to Portugal at the end of the month..::bigsmile:riving2:...Well done that Man !!:youbetcha:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
When Portugal goes 'PoP' and can't afford to pay their Police force, you can do what the heck you want ::bigsmile:

Maybe the Brits will invade and colonise Portugal to British rule.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
some odd contradictions here...

if you spend a lot of money to go to Portugal/Spain for the sun .... yet sit in the van.. why bother.. ? could do the same in blighty ... park up at Lidl .. cheap booze.. free parking :thumb:

and oddly, the French call them "camping" cars... the implication being they are vehicles to go camping in.. not sit inside and look at the view through the window while keeping a sharp eye open for the local plod ..

.. camping cars, camper vans... camping is the vital element.. not the vehicle which is only a means to an end.. parking overnight while en route I understand.. parking for weeks on end and stuck in a van .... madness

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

if you spend a lot of money to go to Portugal/Spain for the sun .... yet sit in the van.. why bother.. ? could do the same in blighty ... park up at Lidl .. cheap booze.. free parking :thumb:

and oddly, the French call them "camping" cars... the implication being they are vehicles to go camping in.. not sit inside and look at the view through the window while keeping a sharp eye open for the local plod ..

.. camping cars, camper vans... camping is the vital element.. not the vehicle which is only a means to an end.. parking overnight while en route I understand.. parking for weeks on end and stuck in a van .... madness

Yes I have to agree Jim....I have seen odd ones sit in there vans never see daylight, never get fresh air oxygen, never put deck chairs out, the local plod could not see anybody in if they looked...therefore it is a parked vehicle.... then the motorhome/camping car is not what its made for it has now become a sleeeeping, eating, network desk:winky::winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Mel

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
A concise, informative ( Re.Pedras ! :RollEyes:) and witty post from "The Master" and his people!!:Blush: Reading posts like this make me eager to be on my way to Portugal at the end of the month..::bigsmile:riving2:...Well done that Man !!:youbetcha:

Cough splutter....

WHAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You would also think a resident in Portugal would help with the economy and pay to go in campsites not encourage freeloaders:winky::winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years

May I point out, with respect, that by not sitting outside your motorhome in a fold up chair does NOT mean you spend ALL your time inside the van. Some vanners have other things going on like cycling off to meet non vanning friends and work colleagues, go out to restaurants and castle visiting and, of course, land clearing and fruit picking.

May I point out, with respect, that some motorhomers were lucky enough not to have to pay a lot of money to get to Portugal (not Spain) because they were already here.

May I point out, with respect, that I doubt the Portuguese GNR care for one second what they call motorhomes in France...

(no smilies... Posting from phone... Still in bed...)

JJ

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
May I point out, with respect, that by not sitting outside your motorhome in a fold up chair does NOT mean you spend ALL your time inside the van. Some vanners have other things going on like cycling off to meet non vanning friends and work colleagues, go out to restaurants and castle visiting and, of course, land clearing and fruit picking.

May I point out, with respect, that some motorhomers were lucky enough not to have to pay a lot of money to get to Portugal (not Spain) because they were already here.

May I point out, with respect, that I doubt the Portuguese GNR care for one second what they call motorhomes in France...

JJ

Well I was going to say good grief you are up early and onto your network.. its not mid day yet...utill I read the last bit....stil in bed....:winky::winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:lol

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

JJ[/QUOTE]

These people should be willing to contribute more to Portugueese economy than the visitors

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years

JJ

These people should be willing to contribute more to Portugueese economy than the visitors [/QUOTE]

Some do young man, some do...

JJ

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
These people should be willing to contribute more to Portugueese economy than the visitors

Some do young man, some do...

JJ[/QUOTE]

Some do awd lad and some don't.......:Doh:

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Parking not Camping

Thanks JJ, youve got it right.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Urban Dictionary

Definition of
Camping

A term used most frequently in first-person shooter video games,[HI] "camping" refers to the act of hiding or otherwise remaining in a hidden, obscured, or safe location[/HI] in order to ambush an enemy or objective, or to avoid harm.

[HI]There is much controversy over whether or not camping is a respectable strategy; some claim camping is cowardly and cheap,[/HI] while others maintain that it is intelligent and strategic.

sounds about right to me :winky:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back