The Physics of towed vehicles (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Geo thanks for doing that, have to admit they work better than I thought they would. :Blush:

Olley

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Thanks for taking the time to do the tests Geo,
that is reassuring, much better than I had previously thought.. :Smile:

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Thanks Geo

That is really helpful as I like a lot of people I'm sure had doubts if they would work at all, and to be honest i thought the cable idea on a braked "A" frame was little more than a visual feel good factor, if that makes sense. as from your tests it would seem that if adjusted correctly the over run device linked through a cable could well work or certainly provide some level of braking.

Thanks again

Braunston

Not exactly laboratory conditions, but..
over all braking % figures without servo were very slightly less than with the servo, it is my considered opinion that in an emergency panic situation the
un
servo,d brakes would stop the vehicle,in the event of a servo failure, even front wheel lock out was obtained without to much pressure being applied, pressure
reqd
was approx 2 to 3 times greater and IMHO easily obtainable by the brake overrun system
vehicles with rear disc's as opposed to drums did not perform quite so well on the
un
servo'd
rears and were borderline but passable:RollEyes:
Geo
Paul, if the Yanks use Recovery Dolly's it must be
ok
:thumb::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I will be the first to admit I was suprised at the results too, after years of towing in broken down cars on a rope, the brakes certainly didnt feel like they worked too well:whatthe: but you cant argue with test weights and rollers, when you think about it there has to be a back up of some sort, if all servos rely on is a rubber pipe not splitting:Eeek:
Geo

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I have a design fault on my Chris Cox frame IMHO.

The brake cable is the furthest bit out from the front of the car so if someone bumper to bumper parks to you the cable can get damaged.

This can cause the brake to bind only slightly but there and I have been through a set of brake pads this way and melted a set of wheel trims.

It's only when driving the car i noticed a slight drag and a foot under the brakes releases it but next time you brake and it binds again, when towing blissfully unaware of it.

This is a real bad design as far as I am concerned.

Overall a good bit of kit but this is a weak spot in my book.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
"overun" Brakes

Hi

Interesting thread, Informative and useful from a point of view of amunition to confront the "A" frame sceptics, so, many thanks to Geo. :thumb: I still think the "elfs" and the "euro-crats" will get them banned though one day soon. `twill be a sad day. :Sad: Well constructed dolly`s are probably the best solution as the Yanks have proven. (and they can be reversed, not the case with "A" frames!!). BUT they have been proved to be illegal in the U.K. EXCEPT for GENUINE recovery work. (your "toad" does NOT constitute a broken down vehicle, even if you remove the "distributer cap"!!) More`s the pity!!. :Angry:

My Towtal rig could suffer the same cable damage problem as RR pointed out, but checking the cable before hitching up is part of the "pre-flight" checks. and a periodic check of the brake system can be achieved on hard level ground by taking off the car handbrake and pushing against the hitch head, if it doesent move more than a few inches then you have brakes and when you pull forward the car should move. It is also advised in the towtal literature NOT to lubricate the cable, as "road muck" sticks to the exposed bit and works it`s way down the cable causing frictional "jambing". Mind, we all make mistakes, I left the (car) handbrake on and "cooked" the rear shoes!!!. :Blush: Cost a new set of shoes in France :Doh:

pete

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
Back to the original article that talks about the towed vehicle imposing nearly three times its weight on the towing vehicle when under brakes - I can't see how this could be unless the towing vehicle is braking at nearly 3g and the towed vehicle had no brakes. Even 1g would require perfect friction between the tyres and the road so 3g ...??

Any comments?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Im not into maths but I belive the same formula is used to explain why an unbelted rear seat passenger can crush the driver in an impact, I realise that in an impact the car stops almost dead but the maths are the same ie
x weight
traveling at Z speed
=3 times its mass (weight)

I dont think we need G force included to realise, that if you stood/jumped in front of a 1/2 ton car doing 1 mile an hour maybe you could stop it.
try it at 70 mph and see what happens:Doh:
I think thats where the extra weight comes in:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
That scenario is a little different because you have something flying freely through the air that then hits something that has been stopped (by being subjected to very high g forces itself).

In the case of two vehicles hooked solidly together, they both must decelerate at the same rate and the maximum deceleration is then something less than 1g (unless the tyres have long spikes on them of course). If the vehicle was being towed by a long rope and the tow vehicle jammed on the brakes, then the towed vehicle would slam into the almost stopped tow vehicle and give it a huge push forward (similar to an unrestrained passenger smashing into the driver - but again, that is not what the article was talking about.

On another point that he raised. If the total weight of tow plus towed vehicle is less than what the tow vehicle would normally weigh, then on the face of it there is no real reason for needing brakes on the towed vehicle from a statutory minimum braking efficiency point of view. The real reason is to prevent the load imposed by the towed vehicle from messing up the weight distribution (and hence total braking efficiency of the tow vehicle) AND more importantly, to prevent jack-knifing - which of course dramatically stuffs up braking efficiency and directional control.

I'm not suggesting that more brakes is not better than fewer, but I'll admit to forgetting far too much of my Physics and Engineering basics, so are there any more comments about the accuracy of the original article. Perhaps there is some dynamic effect I'm overlooking.

s=ut+½at², v²=u²+2as, Momentum=mv, E=½mv² etc etc all still work the same as they did 50 years ago I think.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
In the case of two vehicles hooked solidly together, .

thats the point tony......they arent linked solidly (unless its unbraked)

the hitch has a sliding head albeit only a few inches of movement.

if they are both travelling at 50kph and the tow car stops the towed (toad) car will still be doing 50kph until the hitch has used up all the free travel in the sliding hitch head then the impact on the tow car will be greater than the mass of the toad which in my book is g force.

just the same as your body hitting the seatbelt in a frontal accident.
push yourself into the seatbelt...it dont hurt.
now try hitting a solid object at 50kph and see if the seatbelt hurts.

C

coin99

Deleted User
u could try the link below
Link Removed

Castaway

Free Member
Mar 2, 2008
Darlington
Funster No
MH
Gone back to tugging
Exp
40 years
thats the point tony......they arent linked solidly (unless its unbraked)

the hitch has a sliding head albeit only a few inches of movement.

if they are both travelling at 50kph and the tow car stops the towed (toad) car will still be doing 50kph until the hitch has used up all the free travel in the sliding hitch head then the impact on the tow car will be greater than the mass of the toad which in my book is g force.

just the same as your body hitting the seatbelt in a frontal accident.
push yourself into the seatbelt...it dont hurt.
now try hitting a solid object at 50kph and see if the seatbelt hurts.

Then there is the question of the difference between a (perfectly legal) 750KG unbraked trailer versus a 1000KG (for example) braked trailer. Which is going to be better to have on the hitch in the event of an emergency stop? Even at 50% braking efficiency?
I know which one I'd rather have!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back