The Perils Of EBay!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Triple7, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Triple7

Triple7 Funster

I've been looking for a small Hymer to replace my a-class, for weekend use.

I came across this on eBay so thought I would investigate

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=282156295151&alt=web

Item number: 282156295151

I spoke to the owner last night on the phone for about half an hour... His only concern was the 1.9 ltr engine might be under powered..... Other than that it was in great condition and suggested the best thing was to try it out.

But as it's up in Teesside and I'm in Devon I had to think about whether it was worth the 13 hour round trip.

I slept on it and decided it was, so set off this morning.

The first thing I noticed when I arrived was the cab had been freshly resprayed.... Clearly with the intention of selling....

Next up was the interior. I would describe it as tired but OK with the exception of the drivers seat which was worn through to the foam on one side.

So far, while I was a bit disappointed, it was still worth considering.

Then came the appliances. The owner couldn't get any to work on either gas or electric. Not the boiler (which had some signs of life), not the fridge which only worked on battery and not the water. The newly fitted freshwater pump only came on when he hit it with a screwdriver, and repeated the exercise to turn it off.

The explanation was that they never used the boiler and the fridge had worked last time they had used it but that was 3 years ago and he couldn't remember if it was on gas or electric.

And the gas hob nobs :) were allowing the gas to flow even without a flame.

I decided to give up. So instead suggested we take it for a test drive....At this point the owner admitted that it wasn't taxed or insured so wasn't road legal.

But we fired her up in the drive anyway . The engine sounded rough and the battery light stayed on suggesting alternator problems. But at least it started, which was a first for the afternoon.

He wasn't able to explain why he had suggested a test drive the previous evening but his general defence was that his wife had done the ebay listing and he didn't know what she had said.

I'm well used to wasting my time on viewing, it's all part of the buying process but this, TOTAL FAIL , is in a league of its own. I can't help wondering what the seller expected me to do after driving 6 hours....poke my head in the door and shout Yep, I'll buy it?

It will be interesting to see what happens. Will the auction winner buy or will it get relisted with the usual grumble about time wasters?

In a funny kind of way l have to admire his "pluck" It's probably only fit for breaking but he's decided to give it a lick of paint and describe it as being in good condition (actually perfect condition for its age when we spoke on the phone)

Still I'm not put off. I bought my previous A Class on EBay and she was a gem so in reality I'm one viewing closer to finding the perfect camper! :)

Anyone got one wot works? ;-) junkhymer.jpg

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. icantremember

icantremember Funster

"
    This listing (282156295151) has been removed, or this item is not available.
      • Please check that you've entered the correct item number
      • Listings that have ended 90 or more days ago will not be available for viewing.

3. Triple7

Triple7 Funster

It works for me but I'm on an android phone. Try using the item number

• Like Like x 1
  4. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

good write up (y) and I have been where you are, but worse still bought o_O, but TBH a MH of that age will come with issues

can't tell now how much they were asking, but good luck with your search (y)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Triple7

Triple7 Funster

Thanks for the sympathy..... Its good therapy while I wind down!

....but not sure I agree. Saw a lovely one in Cornwall for little more but at the time wasn't in a position to buy. But these campers do vary alot in price. A respected dealer had one on at £4700 recently and couldn't sell it..shipped it back to Europe.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Figaro

Figaro Funster

Keep looking, something will turn up, hopefully closer to home (y)

7. Triple7

Triple7 Funster

Thanks.. I fully expect this sort of thing so I'm not "bovered" but this one was vaguely ridiculous. :)

8. Boringfrog

Boringfrog Funster

The very very short description would have put me off. I think looking at vans in your price range you're going to expect something not to work/broken. :(

9. Triple7

Triple7 Funster

I agree, with hindsight the short description was a "tell". But the bloke was very confident on the phone in stark contrast to his sheepish manner when I turned up lol

10. Boringfrog

Boringfrog Funster

Probably s##t himself when you did. :whistle:

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. chopper602

chopper602 Funster

Of course you could have put a shout out on here for someone local to give it a quick once over before venturing all that way . . .
    (living on Teesside as I do!)

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill Funster

But nothing worked, he would have got a slap for dragging me all that way and petrol money to cover my cost
    Obviously had a re spray so clearly he did know about the wife selling it, and knew the OP was coming a long way the very least he could have done was tell him the truth, tosser
    Hope the OP finds a van and credit to him for being so understanding, good luck

• Like Like x 2
  13. SteveandDenise

SteveandDenise Funster

I feel you have more self control than me I think!

14. The Wino

The Wino Funster

But there can be a few bargains there too I bought my mini one of the last proper ones there 3 years ago 21k miles one owner £1850 in pretty good nick just keep looking

15. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

The one important question to ask a seller before leaving home: please list everything that is wrong with it. The reply should help you decide what sort of person you are dealing with. I think it's as important to find a good seller as it is to find a good van. I've bought 3 cars and 2 motorcycles unseen off eBay with no nasty surprises.

16. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

i once slapped all the way from walthamstow to heatrow on a friday afternoon to see a van which had been described as rust free to find the wipers doing acrobatics in the rotten scuttle which had been filled with expanding foam wife had to drag me away before i killed him

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Triple7

Triple7 Funster

Lol. I think so, he was certainly pleased to see me leave!

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Triple7

Triple7 Funster

It never crossed my mind. Next time :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Triple7

Triple7 Funster

Thanks :) It's always hard to know what's really going on. I wouldn't be surprised if he was "under orders" to sell. As for giving him a slap, I'd say he's well used to getting them and would probably have found it reassuring lol

• Funny Funny x 3
  20. Triple7

Triple7 Funster

Not sure about that. I've only given an edited account above . The viewing lasted for about an hour. After about 10 mins I had made my mind up so the remainder of the time was spent getting him to run around testing and trying to fix stuff. As I had wasted 12 hours anyway I didn't mind wasting one more. It was all the more amusing as I had a fair idea why some things didn't work.

• Funny Funny x 4