Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Many people say that the wrong layout is the main reason for selling a motorhome. Sometimes this is because things change, like kids leave home or are born and the layout is not suitable any more, others get the layout wrong from the off and only realise much later. There are just so many variables, Rear Entry Rear Kitchen, U-shaped lounge. Twin Sofas, Dinette, Fixed bed and Mid Kitchen etc etc and many, many variations on these.

Describe your ideal motorhome layout and explain it's appeal:thumb:

welsh winger

Free Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sunny Swansea
Funster No
MH
swift lifestyle
Exp
4 years
We have just changed to a L shaped rear lounge, windows on 3 sides, entry door at front, this lay out seemed the best use of space, for the 2 of us and the dog, and works very well.

Nick

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
We have just changed to a L shaped rear lounge, windows on 3 sides, entry door at front, this lay out seemed the best use of space, for the 2 of us and the dog, and works very well.

Our Auto Sleeper Ravenna has this layout, suits us very well.

Brisey

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
Our perfect layout is what we have. When first looking to buy we had something completely different in mind until someone said " think carefully because you will find you need something bigger", boy were they right.

The layout we have is a rear U shaped lounge, toilet with shower compartment, kitchen with full fridge and freezer, dinette area. We find having the two separate areas to sit work well for us as us adults can sit at the back whilst Emily and her friends can do their thing in the dinette area. Two lots of our friends each bought similar vans with the fixed bunks at the back and wish now they had gone for our layout.

Dale

www.waveneyrivercentre.co.uk - Norfolk Meet in November 5th -7th, or longer if you wish

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
For us it would be a C class

Starting at the front:

Double over head bed
4 seater dinette on one side
3 seater settee on tother

Next in line
Toilet on one side
Shower on tother

Next in line
Bunk beds on one side
Kitchen on tother

Then a U shaped lounge at the end

Tall order I know and would require a tag axle set up, but that would be wonderful for us
Our present MH is as close as we could get to it and to be honest we are really happy as it is ( but then,,,, that is today.. tomorrow.. well who knows ! )

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
The lay out that works for us:

End Kitchen (I enjoy cooking but like my own space to do it in)

A table permanently up with a Captains Chair each side for comfort.

Both passenger and drivers Captains seats to swivel around for extra seating and comfort.

A made up drop down overcab bed so no bed making in morning without loosing space.

A long comfortable settee for lounging on in the evenings.

A toilet room that has a separate shower and cuboards.

This is the layout we have managed to find in our Hymer 584 have had it 5 years now and would hate to part with it.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Just now with 3 of us we are quite happy with our layout of dinette and side sofa give us plenty of lounging room when its wet and dark while abroad we hardly ever sit inside.

The one i would like when only the 2 of us and Sophie joining for odd weekends would be end bed with garage underneath and the front would be the L shape so we could still have the 2 seat belts and room to stretch out with 2 swivel seats and possible drop down bed at front.

After going to the nec on sat i was quite impressed with some of the van conversions that had a drop down bed making them 4 berth and nice and easy to park.

Gerry

P.S.
Jim you havent put your ideal layout on

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
One like this please, but with a heated swimming pool on the roof next to the solar panel.

multi-millionnaires please pm me for my phone number:winky:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
When we started we wanted as much space as possible so went down the Rv with slides route and loved it. However the more we travelled the more we realised that size was a major obstacle for us as we hate to plan too much and like to go where the fancy takes us. So we've gradually gone smaller and now we're probably just about right.

Front bar lounge with swiveling front seats, sofa opposite the table with another swiveling seat by the table so seat 5 or 6 easily. Small kitchen but adequate as we're not really into cooking and prefer cooking outside anyway. Good sized bathroom and rear bedroom over garage, this may be the bit we struggle with as we've been used to large Rv island beds only time will tell. Only planned change is to change the fixed table so it folds down giving more lounging space.

keithfal

Free Member
Mar 6, 2010
Worcester area
Funster No
MH
C class Ducato LP
Exp
36 months
Our Preferred layout

When we started we wanted as much space as possible so went down the Rv with slides route and loved it. However the more we travelled the more we realised that size was a major obstacle for us as we hate to plan too much and like to go where the fancy takes us. So we've gradually gone smaller and now we're probably just about right.

Front bar lounge with swiveling front seats, sofa opposite the table with another swiveling seat by the table so seat 5 or 6 easily. Small kitchen but adequate as we're not really into cooking and prefer cooking outside anyway. Good sized bathroom and rear bedroom over garage, this may be the bit we struggle with as we've been used to large Rv island beds only time will tell. Only planned change is to change the fixed table so it folds down giving more lounging space.

We opted to buy something that would be easier to tour with than our 15' caravan but with similar facilities - hence a Ushaped lounge at the back. I like to be able to lounge.:RollEyes: Wife likes to look out of the back window. Length was an issue for getting onto sites and parking in "mainstream" carparks so under 7m and no tag axles for us!
We are now changing to single divans with a chest/table combination between because of having to set up the table from scratch everytime we wanted a cuppa. Also the new van has a larger washroom. Theres only the two of us - no grandchildren and kids had enough of camping as children but now want to borrow the motorhome.

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
I think we have now found the ideal Motorhome and layout for us.
Large garage with fixed bed over (as I hate to make the bed up) l shaped sette and swivel front seats (seats 5 nicely) 4 seat belts so I can take my granchildren if I want.

Drop down bed for Kevin:Smile: and a lage bathrom so plenty of room for me and most of all under 7 metres and winterised.

A Hymer B614 and we love it not changing again (well I dont think so)

Sonja

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
probably nobody agrees with me.... but

We have a Hymer Exsis from 2004. It has a big double bed cleverly hidden in the roof. It also has a nice large bed downstairs for my wife. The big advantage is that it is only 5.5 metres long. That means we can go into towns and park in a normal parking space. We might hang over by a foot or so but the parking attendants don't seem to pick on us.

The other advantage is that if we go down a tight country lane and regret it, we can usually manage to wriggle out of it. With a longer van we would struggle.

The other big factor is a good view of the TV. Our seats swivel round so all in all it's just about perfect. No plans to swap.

I simply can't understand the fixed bed gang. Why would you want to drag 2 metres of nothing round at the back? Beats me.

brodie

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
We have found the ideal one for us at the NEC from a very limited choice due to our requirements.

It is a Chausson Suite (Sweet) Garage 6/7 berth.

Large fixed bed at the rear (all 3 kids can easily fit at the moment), large garage underneath for a scooter/dog and all c**p.

Bathroom (shower is in same bit as basin but not toilet - this is the compromise).

Island Kitchen, good size fridge & freezer, oven, huge lounge big enough for us all to sit & eat together & converts to double.

Electric raised double bed.

Loads of storage.

Winterised.

Low profile more mpg :thumb:. Just got to print a bit more money to fund it!

Last edited:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Wow what a question Jim

Now if I was single I would have a vehicle with settees either side. One to use for sleeping and one for eating etc. Just a few overhead cabinets for storage and a wardrobe. The bathroom could be quite small. Full size cooker and full size Fridge Freezer definitely.

I would still go for a back door as if I wanted to move furniture etc I wouldnt have to hire a vehicle. Its pretty impossible to get a book cabinet in through a side door but easy through the back.

When we upgrade as it seems no vehicles have rear doors anymore, we would need one with the side entry door on the passenger side and would opt a back lounge, middle dinette and a high overcab bed again full size cooker and full size fridge freezer.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back