The Overcab Bed (1 Viewer)

A

AnnTone

Deleted User
Do these get used for sleeping in?, the ones we have seen look a bit claustrophobic, I laid in one (a Lunar) and I do not think I would like it. Do you use them? For adults or children? Or are they just a convenient place to store bedding and washing?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Our Autoquest is a 4 berth with double bed in the Luton and double bed made up in the dinette area. As there are only two of us we find the van just the right size with plenty of storage space for light things in the Luton. We've never used it for anything but storage.

Graham

Upvote 0

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
Do these get used for sleeping in?, the ones we have seen look a bit claustrophobic, I laid in one (a Lunar) and I do not think I would like it. Do you use them? For adults or children? Or are they just a convenient place to store bedding and washing?

:Cool: We use our Mini RV (Dethleffs 462) for commuting. We have used the over cab bed on many occasions. It saves making up the dining area bed. :winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We have used a luton a few times, but found it a pain, that ladder!! and you can't sit up with a cuppa. Kids love lutons though.

Upvote 0
Aug 16, 2007
Funster No
Over cab bed

Our previous van was a hymer 594 with a very large luton bed.:thumb:
Big enough for 3 but never had 3 in it:cry:
We used it every night (about 150nights) and it was comfortable, but it was a pain when you want to have a wee in the middle of the night:cry:
That is why we replaced it with a fixed bed hymer:thumb:
Yes we did use it:thumb:

Upvote 0

gillr49

Free Member
Aug 8, 2007
Holbeach Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm with Graham

We use the overhead bunk for storage of quilts, pillows etc. Quick to pack up the bedding in the morning and get it out at night.
When my youngest was 10 he loved to sleep on an overhead, it was his own private space:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
we use ours for storing the sleeping bags and pillows when the base is pushed forward, or, if i slide the base back out i chuck the cadac and silver screens up there as well . takes a bit of weight off the rear axle.:thumb:
only problem when the base is out, a constant source of headaches and lumps getting in the back.:Doh:
thinking of converting to a lift up bedbase.

john.

Upvote 0

gillr49

Free Member
Aug 8, 2007
Holbeach Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
What a good idea

Must admit that we usually slide the base back, but as there is only 2 of us the bedding fits up there easily.

Apart from the headaches I think it makes the van look roomier and we can use the swival seats to enhance the living area.

Gill

Upvote 0
Aug 16, 2007
Funster No
Pain

But you have to admit guys, it is a pain to make the bed up everynight and to be honest, we could not be bothered.
Easier to use the overcab bed as it is always ready:ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
Aug 16, 2007
Funster No
Climb over

Who gets in first?:ROFLMAO:

What happens if nature calls for first one in? Can't see it working for us, perhaps I'm just too big.

You just climb over:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
It works:thumb:
You could always have a stop over on the way back:RollEyes:
As I said before, "The Hymer overcab bed is very big!"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

gillr49

Free Member
Aug 8, 2007
Holbeach Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hubby and I have decided we'll give it a try next time we take the van out, it must be your persuasive manner Graham:thumb::whatthe::thumb:

Upvote 0
Aug 16, 2007
Funster No
Its ok

Hubby and I have decided we'll give it a try next time we take the van out, it must be your persuasive manner Graham:thumb::whatthe::thumb:

Seriously, we used ours for over 3 years and we never gave serious thought to making a bed up on the dinette or any where else!
It is a little bit of a pain when you have to get up in the night (we did most nights) but no bed to make up and the van is much tidier (I think)
But at the end of the day, we did replace ours with a fixed bed!
But if we had a luton, we would use it without doubt!:thumb:

Upvote 0

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
And as you get older...........:Sad:...........it gets worse. More midnight trips to the loo....:whatthe:...difficulty climbing the ladder.........:Eeek:.......and outside one has to make the morning cuppa :ROFLMAO:

No we never used it as a bed, I tried it once but never again:whatthe:

Upvote 0

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Anoher thing, why do they put windows in the roof of new vans where the luton used to be? :whatthe: Removes the best storage we ever had.:whatthe:

Upvote 0
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
We only use ours for storage, I have slept in it a couple of times and it's ok, but she who must be obeyed finds it too claustrophobic so we make up the dinette ones.

Dane

Upvote 0

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Our old van was an Autosleeper Ravenna with a luton and a rear jigsaw bed - both beds were the worst of the worst to sleep in, the rear jigsaw one being far too small for two, so one uncomfortable night I decided to use the luton.......it was a nightmare! :Sad:I'm not the largest adult around, but my face almost touched the roof and there was insufficient space to turn over. All in all rather like lying in a coffin, I think. :cry:Never again. We used the luton area for storage until selling the van shortly thereafter - the new van, an A class, has a fixed rear bed and a drop=down overcab bed . :thumb:We would never ever even consider a luton type van again, although I think kids probably enjoy the luton (luckily we don't have any at home any longer!)

Upvote 0

dundreamin

Free Member
Sep 24, 2007
South Yorks
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
18 months
overcab bed

We have only just bought our van and got one with the overcab bed solely because we hate making up the seat/beds each night and didn't want to go for a fixed bed.

I am not really used to it yet but did feel a bit closed in when i was on the inside but my hubby is not bothered so i swapped and made him sleep in the inside - what else is equality for if not to get your own way?????

Upvote 0

StAubyns

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Mansfield Woodhouse
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
It really does depend on the size of your Luton; in this case size does matter:Smile:

We bought our Dethleffs because the Luton contains a UK king size one piece mattress with plenty of headroom. The bed is always made up and we can still store stuff up there in the day and when traveling.

We had no intention of making beds up and this means I can have a lay in while the wife makes coffee::bigsmile:

It also means we don't have to have an enormous van. Ours is 5.5metres with full dinette, full length settee and ready made up king size bed. Theres not many places we cant park:thumb:

We are in our early sixties and the ladder is no problem. Neither is climbing over one another:thumb:

regards

Geoff

Upvote 0
Aug 16, 2007
Funster No
Big bed

It really does depend on the size of your Luton; in this case size does matter

We bought our Dethleffs because the Luton contains a UK king size one piece mattress with plenty of headroom. The bed is always made up and we can still store stuff up there in the day and when traveling.

We had no intention of making beds up and this means I can have a lay in while the wife makes coffee::bigsmile:

It also means we don't have to have an enormous van. Ours is 5.5metres with full dinette, full length settee and ready made up king size bed. Theres not many places we cant park:thumb:

We are in our early sixties and the ladder is no problem. Neither is climbing over one another:thumb:

regards

Geoff
Just as I have said, we used ours without any problem as in the Hymer it was a big bed!!!!:thumb::ROFLMAO::thumb:

Upvote 0

tarara

Free Member
Sep 16, 2007
Funster No
The one in our Autoroller Maxi 7 is also a kingsize with enough headroom to sit up and drink a cuppa. OH and I sleep top and tail so easier for him to climb out without disturbing me :)Rofl1:) if he needs a loo break. Amazingly, (and to his disgust) we don't even touch its so spacious. Kids have the bunks, we use the Luton so the double in the dinette never gets touched and the single dinette is used permanently as a sofa. No mucking about making up beds and storing bedding. :thumb:

Upvote 0

finby

Free Member
Oct 3, 2007
norfolk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
about 8
weve got a starspirit with overcab bed. My wife sleeps up there and I sleep on one of the singles in the lounge. My wife thinks it is brilliant (but yes you cant sit upright!). But the bed stays made up all the time and saves that bit of hassle.::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

BGD

Banned
Aug 20, 2007
Costa Blanca, Spain.
Funster No
Ours: 4 berth with overcab luton.

Us: two people.

Have NEVER used the overcab bed.
Instead we've taken all the bed bits, cushions, ladder etc out (stored in the garage) and use the area above the cab for storage - it's a really big and handy stowage area and for us this is a FAR better option.

Ours has U-shaped rear settee that converts (in about 5 minutes) to a really comfy massive double bed, so we're perfectly happy to use that option instead.

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugot Boxer
Exp
we use ours for storing the sleeping bags and pillows when the base is pushed forward, or, if i slide the base back out i chuck the cadac and silver screens up there as well . takes a bit of weight off the rear axle.:thumb:
only problem when the base is out, a constant source of headaches and lumps getting in the back.:Doh:
thinking of converting to a lift up bedbase.

john.

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugot Boxer
Exp
Hi

I'm thinking of doing this, along with making the passenger chair a swivel.

is it easy to do?

have you started or still just thinking?

Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2019
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2017
The drop down in our Hymer is an excellent bed, which we use all the time. It was one of the key features I insisted on. Perhaps when we get older we'll move to a fixed but def no plans at the moment.

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2019
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer camp c546
Exp
Since 2019
Our granddaughter loves the over cab, uses like her penthouse suite :rolleyes: it's massive to be fair. But I can get up..even with my knee replacement, but sitting up as an adult..not the best, when just me and hubby travelling, use as storage :clap:

Upvote 0

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Hi

I'm thinking of doing this, along with making the passenger chair a swivel.

is it easy to do?

have you started or still just thinking?
I think he's well moved on from that now. That was 13yrs ago he wrote that.:)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back