The Overcab Bed

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by AnnTone, Oct 23, 2007.

1. AnnTone

AnnTone Deleted User

Do these get used for sleeping in?, the ones we have seen look a bit claustrophobic, I laid in one (a Lunar) and I do not think I would like it. Do you use them? For adults or children? Or are they just a convenient place to store bedding and washing?

2. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Our Autoquest is a 4 berth with double bed in the Luton and double bed made up in the dinette area. As there are only two of us we find the van just the right size with plenty of storage space for light things in the Luton. We've never used it for anything but storage.

Graham

3. johnsandywhite

johnsandywhite Read Only Funster

:Cool: We use our Mini RV (Dethleffs 462) for commuting. We have used the over cab bed on many occasions. It saves making up the dining area bed. :Wink:

4. Jim

Jim Ringleader

We have used a luton a few times, but found it a pain, that ladder!! and you can't sit up with a cuppa. Kids love lutons though.

5. justme AKA Grath

justme AKA Grath BANNED

Over cab bed

Our previous van was a hymer 594 with a very large luton bed.:thumb:
    Big enough for 3 but never had 3 in it:cry:
    We used it every night (about 150nights) and it was comfortable, but it was a pain when you want to have a wee in the middle of the night:cry:
    That is why we replaced it with a fixed bed hymer:thumb:
    Yes we did use it:thumb:

6. gillr49

gillr49 Read Only Funster

I'm with Graham

We use the overhead bunk for storage of quilts, pillows etc. Quick to pack up the bedding in the morning and get it out at night.
    When my youngest was 10 he loved to sleep on an overhead, it was his own private space:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

7. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

we use ours for storing the sleeping bags and pillows when the base is pushed forward, or, if i slide the base back out i chuck the cadac and silver screens up there as well . takes a bit of weight off the rear axle.:thumb:
    only problem when the base is out, a constant source of headaches and lumps getting in the back.:Doh:
    thinking of converting to a lift up bedbase.

john.

8. gillr49

What a good idea

Must admit that we usually slide the base back, but as there is only 2 of us the bedding fits up there easily.

Apart from the headaches I think it makes the van look roomier and we can use the swival seats to enhance the living area.

Gill

9. justme AKA Grath

justme AKA Grath BANNED

Pain

But you have to admit guys, it is a pain to make the bed up everynight and to be honest, we could not be bothered.
    Easier to use the overcab bed as it is always ready:Rofl1:

10. gillr49

Who gets in first?:Rofl1:

What happens if nature calls for first one in? Can't see it working for us, perhaps I'm just too big.

:Blush::Blush::Blush:

11. justme AKA Grath

justme AKA Grath BANNED

Climb over

You just climb over:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:
    It works:thumb:
    You could always have a stop over on the way back:RollEyes:
    As I said before, "The Hymer overcab bed is very big!"

Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
  12. gillr49

Hubby and I have decided we'll give it a try next time we take the van out, it must be your persuasive manner Graham:thumb::Eek!::thumb:

13. justme AKA Grath

justme AKA Grath BANNED

Its ok

Seriously, we used ours for over 3 years and we never gave serious thought to making a bed up on the dinette or any where else!
    It is a little bit of a pain when you have to get up in the night (we did most nights) but no bed to make up and the van is much tidier (I think)
    But at the end of the day, we did replace ours with a fixed bed!
    But if we had a luton, we would use it without doubt!:thumb:

14. keith

keith Funster

And as you get older...........:Sad:...........it gets worse. More midnight trips to the loo....:Eek!:...difficulty climbing the ladder.........:Eeek:.......and outside one has to make the morning cuppa :Rofl1:

No we never used it as a bed, I tried it once but never again:Eek!:

15. keith

keith Funster

Anoher thing, why do they put windows in the roof of new vans where the luton used to be? :Eek!: Removes the best storage we ever had.:Eek!:

16. Diabalo

Diabalo Funster

We only use ours for storage, I have slept in it a couple of times and it's ok, but she who must be obeyed finds it too claustrophobic so we make up the dinette ones.

Dane

17. justme AKA Grath

justme AKA Grath BANNED

Whimps

Whimps!!!!!:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

18. camcondor

camcondor Read Only Funster

Our old van was an Autosleeper Ravenna with a luton and a rear jigsaw bed - both beds were the worst of the worst to sleep in, the rear jigsaw one being far too small for two, so one uncomfortable night I decided to use the luton.......it was a nightmare! :Sad:I'm not the largest adult around, but my face almost touched the roof and there was insufficient space to turn over. All in all rather like lying in a coffin, I think. :cry:Never again. We used the luton area for storage until selling the van shortly thereafter - the new van, an A class, has a fixed rear bed and a drop=down overcab bed . :thumb:We would never ever even consider a luton type van again, although I think kids probably enjoy the luton (luckily we don't have any at home any longer!)

19. dundreamin

dundreamin Read Only Funster

overcab bed

We have only just bought our van and got one with the overcab bed solely because we hate making up the seat/beds each night and didn't want to go for a fixed bed.

I am not really used to it yet but did feel a bit closed in when i was on the inside but my hubby is not bothered so i swapped and made him sleep in the inside - what else is equality for if not to get your own way?????

20. StAubyns

StAubyns Read Only Funster

It really does depend on the size of your Luton; in this case size does matter:Smile:

We bought our Dethleffs because the Luton contains a UK king size one piece mattress with plenty of headroom. The bed is always made up and we can still store stuff up there in the day and when traveling.

We had no intention of making beds up and this means I can have a lay in while the wife makes coffee:BigGrin:

It also means we don't have to have an enormous van. Ours is 5.5metres with full dinette, full length settee and ready made up king size bed. Theres not many places we cant park:thumb:

We are in our early sixties and the ladder is no problem. Neither is climbing over one another:thumb:

regards

Geoff