The Netherlands

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by ellabella, Aug 28, 2011.

1. ellabella

ellabella Read Only Funster

OK all you long timers. We are off to The Netherlands in a couple of weeks, never done it by Motorhome before so really need all your expert tips and good places to go. We just want to tour around for 3 weeks, no set routes or anything, just hang out and chill and sightsee.:Rofl1:
    So please can you let me have your good ideas and places you have been too. Can you email me or are we not allowed to do that:cry:anna.tandy@gmail.com lets try and see.

\perhaps we could get a travel forum going so that we can see where all members have been and can pick there brains on good and bad sites and problems? By country and town etc????:thumb:

2. welshbois

welshbois Read Only Funster

Wassenar - lovely town, catch bus to The Hague or from the Hague train to Amsterdam - fab

3. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

3 weeks !

Apart from museums or red lights, the rest, in my humble opinion, is either flat or wet.

Give the Netherlands a week and move into Germany via Valkenberg, go down the Rhine.

4. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

I agree. 3 weeks is a bit much. Some of the Coastal towns are nice for a day. Couple of days ok for Amsterdam. Holland is a bit sterile for me. I worked and lived there a while so maybe that's why. Ok if you like very flat sceneless cycling I guess with the odd windmill or huge glass greenhouses. Just my opinion. :Doh:

5. Mags52

Mags52 Funster

We were there for 10 days this summer and had a really nice time. We particularly liked Allurepark Laage Kanje near Utrecht which is in the ACSI book and therefore 15E per night out of season.
    It is near a big man made lake with white sand beaches.
    We enjoy cycling so it was ideal for us as we could get around by bike everywhere once we arrived at a site and the distances between sites in the motorhome are not huge.
    I think 3 weeks would be a long time to spend in the Netherlands so you might want to mix it with another country.
    Incidentally the fruit, veg, dairy produce and beer were all fantastic.
    Enjoy!

6. Onderweg

Onderweg Funster

Oh boy, Three weeks a bit long..................:cry:

I lived her for more than 62 years :Eeek::Blush:

If you tell us what things you like to do/visit and what sort of overnight stays you want, we might be able to give you some hints.

Will not answer you using EMail, others might be interested to know as well, so i guess its better to keep it on the forum

Paul and Ineke

• Like Like x 2
  7. drago35uk

drago35uk Funster

Stopped for a week in Wassenar last year (Duinrell),we had a superb time visiting Delph ,the coastal towns Noordwick,Scevinganinganinganam as my daughter called it etc. also Leiden ,Amsterdam,Gouda,Edam,Volundam,Marken,Nijmegan,Arnham,plenty to do for quite a few weeks love the place.
    Best cycling country on the planet

8. motorhomer

motorhomer Read Only Funster

With all due respect to Onderweg, there has to be a reason why every country in Europe is full of Dutch people in motorhomes and caravans!

We have tried staying in Holland a few times en-route, some pretty spots but its always wet and very flat.

Good raods, though, so its a good country to travel through. We usually manage it in about 3 hours rather than 3 weeks!

9. estcres

estcres Read Only Funster

Head South towards the Linburg region and stay at Valkenburg for a couple of days. There is a camp site right in the centre of the Town and you can get a bus or Train to Aachen in Germany and Masstrict. Try and get to the point where 3 countries meet, Holland, Belguim and Germany.

Have a good trip

• Like Like x 1
  10. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Almere Haven has 4 motorhome designated parking's right on the harbour with bars restaurants etc,all around you.
    Lovely watching all the boats coming and going. The only downside is that unfortunately Holland has become quite expensive now because of the euro.
    As said dont miss Volendam.Am sure you will enjoy your trip but it is a bit late in the year for good weather.

• Like Like x 1
  11. canopus

canopus Funster Life Member

Agree with an ealier post Limburg has some stunning scenery. Maasricht is a very quaint town despite its connection to EU summits etc. Look around local villages such as Wijlre and Gulpen for excellent camp sites and if you want to stray into Germany or Belgium you're close to both borders Another place we enjoyed was Giethoorn - the Venice of the Netherlands - thatched roofed houses only accessible by small canals. Though we've never been, some of the islands in the North Sea especially Texel are very quiet if that's your thing. Finally dont forget the old favs such as Amsterdam, Vollendam, Valkenburg and if youre into WW2 the area around Nijmegen is very interesting. If you dont like the 'land above the drain' head south to Limburg, you'll be pleasantly surprised.:Smile:

12. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Oops. No offence intended. I did quite a lot of work all over the Netherlands, years ago so took my wife on holiday, hired a boat for a week, toured. Fell in love with Valkenberg, much impressed with Amsterdam, but we ended up overdosed on flat and water.

Some of your attempts at temporarily holding back the waters is staggering. Iesselmere ?

13. buttons

buttons Funster

14. roger buckley

roger buckley Read Only Funster

:Smile: We were at the Delftse Hout site at Delft two weeks ago,which we can recommend!

Best
    Roger

15. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

For Netherlands read Norfolk !!:Rofl1: :Rofl1: :Rofl1:

16. Onderweg

Onderweg Funster

Hi Ellabella

Too bad you have not yet given any details about your planning, likes and dislikes

Therefore i will give you some details about predifined routes for riding a bike. The webpages below are in Dutch :cry: tried to incorporate GoogleTranslate into the links but when i did many of the innerlinks didnt work

Trips by bicycle:
    The bottum link presents you all the roads and paths in the Netherlands which are very suitable to use. When you open this link you will be on the Planner tab. If you look in the bottom right corner you will see the button "Legenda" if you click on it it will open the legenda for you :Rofl1:
    But the second tab is called Locaties. When you select that tab it will offer you the possibility to add special items to the map like Mills, Lighthouses, campings and so on.
    (Camper places are not mentioned :Eeek:)​
    I would strongly recommend to select at least the box mentioning "VVV" this stands for the National Tourist Assosiaton Shops of which more than 300 are spread all over the country. It is the place to go for information.

If you use the planner for planning a route with your bike, please keep in mind this planner can only use the bicycle "LF-Network" (Nation wide) or "knooppunten network" (Regional) But there are many many more possibilties :thumb:

By the way, wildcamping is an abosolute NoNo in the Netherlands, fines are given immediately !!. There are camperplaces though, for most of them you have to pay about Euro 5-10 and and a few are free (i only know three free of charge :Blush:, but there might be more)

Paul and Ineke