The Motor Caravaners Club

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Nigel L, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Nigel L

Nigel L Funster

Hi all, anyone joined the above club?
    Having just acquired our first MH and looking to make our first trip out in it later on this week, we have been looking at some places to go.
    Not keen on staying on bigger sites, as prefer the quieter smaller set ups, plus we intend to do some wilding. So, although the CC and C&CC no doubt have benefits, the MCC looks like it caters for the smaller type sites.
    Just interested in people's views who have probably joined or used the sites.
    What other benefits do they offer, and is it still worth joining the CC and C& CC ?
    Many thanks.

2. Hymie

Hymie Funster

Pitchup.com is ok, found a lovely, basic site at West Stow a few weeks ago, on an equine centre, a few miles from the Icklingam Roundabout.

Toilet block still under construction and an adults only site but very peaceful.

3. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

We are members of all three clubs. Our main camping is done using rallies and THSs organised by C&CC and MCC sections. Notes here.

• Like Like x 1
  4. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Like the MCC as most of their rallies you just turn up with no need to book, good for fitting some last minute in between all the planned stuff.

Martin

5. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

The CC have the most CLs.. the main reason I am a member.. you can still find basic CLs at less than a tenner per night .. I know one that has EHU included for £9

The C&CC also have a lot of small sites CS .. not currently a member..

The MCC .. Not being 'into rallies' have never bothered joining , also .. their CLs. and Night Stops can be used by non members .. .."The Motor Caravanners' Club will always welcome Non-Members to our CL's and NS's"

6. Photo4x4

Photo4x4 Funster

Interesting, having read this thread I decided to check out the MCC. Now I may have this wrong but it seems that there are only 6 MCC sites in the whole of Scotland (which is of course the main 'playground' for SWMBO and me).

Perhaps once again Scotland is under represented with official sites because of the impression that many MHers seem to have that you do not need to pay for overnighting 'north of the border'.

KH

• Like Like x 1
  7. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Mcc. Good for rallies, especially where there is no need to book. Just turn up.
    Been with them for about 10 years, their stopovers and cl sites are Very small so you won't get much choice.
    They do have some great rally venues that are in good locations.

8. scotjimland

some also think that south of the border .. in fact, some think it's their 'right' to camp wherever they find parking

• Like Like x 3
  9. RidersofRohan

RidersofRohan Funster

We joined for the first time in October at the NEC show. We have been to two rallies and found them to be very useful and friendly.
    We joined the Severn group's rally for the Birmingham Xmas market and recently went up to the Northern group rally at Hawes. Both were handily placed locations and everyone was friendly. Don't fear being pushed into doing things you don't want to do, its not like that. I've seen some of the clips on facebook of people pratting about in fancy dress or doing things with balloons Oooh err! and thought I'm not sure about this. But it is very much each to their own thing and enjoying yourself.
    I also like not having to book or paying for facilities you don't need. Most rallies are under a tenner with water and waste disposal, which is really all you need.
    C&CC also good for CS's, rallies and holiday sites, and as the name suggests caters for caravans and tents as well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

It's actually 7, you missed the one nightstop - but what's one between friends? :)
    That is out of a total of 107, so 6.5% of the total are in Scotland.
    Given the small number in total, I suppose that isn't too far away from the equivalent population percentages.

11. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

There isn't a lot of difference from Fun rallies Jim. Nobody is forced into anything.
    We don't do fancy dress and the like so just don't do it (much the same as we don't do noisy marquee evenings because you can't hear yourself think :D) - but we have enjoyed many social evenings along the way.
    If I were to have to choose one I would go for the C&CC, purely because of the larger choice of events. We like to be in both the C&CC and the MCC, though, as it gives that extra choice.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

We have used mcc haven offer, where it's 5 nights for £25 inc electricity. Makes it a cheap stay.

• Like Like x 1
  13. scotjimland

yes, appreciate that.. maybe once we are on our own and have more 'free' time will give them a try ..

• Like Like x 1
  14. Photo4x4

Photo4x4 Funster

Yes, I didn't count the ONE night stop! :)

Anyway I Googled the population statistic and in 2013 the population of Scotland was 8.3% of the UK. The I thought crikey - I must have better things to do! :LOL:

BTW it is the fact that there aren't a lot of people up here that makes it a great place to live.

KH

• Like Like x 1
  15. big bertha

big bertha Funster

Was that at the beginning of May, we were at Hawes then and met a lady on a rally and I was telling her about motorhome fun.

16. 2spritelyislanders

2spritelyislanders Funster

Agree with funflair absolutely. We've been on great rallies up and down the country with the MCC and usually get a lot of info on local places to stopover/wildcamp. Very friendly club:smiley:

17. RidersofRohan

RidersofRohan Funster

That's no lady, that's my wife.
    Well it could have been if it was 22nd to 24th April.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. klaatu

klaatu Funster

But by area, Scotland is about one third of the UK :)

Steve

• Like Like x 1
  19. big bertha

big bertha Funster

Nope wrong dates and the lady was single.:D

• Like Like x 1
  20. Peter Ashcroft

Peter Ashcroft Funster Life Member

seems a bit old fashioned that to join you have to print off a form, fill it in and post it! think i have forgotten how to do such things!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1