the most basic of questions (1 Viewer)

M

manovision

Deleted User
Just picked up my very first motor home yesterday,

Do I need a special kettle or just buy 1 from argos like i would use at home ( going to do some wild camping so not always on hook up) or should I get a gas heated one ?

Is it wise to take the carpets up as they are likely to get filthy ?

Do I need a ground sheet for the pull out awning ?

Is it ok to leave the heating on all night ?

Thats it for now but am sure will be more later

thanks for the help guys

Paul

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!

Do I need a special kettle or just buy 1 from argos like i would use at home ( going to do some wild camping so not always on hook up) or should I get a gas heated one ?

That's it for now but am sure will be more later

thanks for the help guys

Paul

Good morning ! I use a 1 1/2 KW kettle on a hook up and use an ordinary kettle (gas) when not.
make people take their shoes off when entering your new domain and have a small hand held vacuum cleaner.
No ground sheet necessary.
Best not to leave heating on for safety reasons, I have 2 duvets 1 winter tog and 1 summer.
Fitting an inverter would help with low wattage items when wilding.
Best of luck with your new MH........:thumb:

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi Paul ..

all I would add is that if your on EHU there is no reason not to use the gas heating at night but it would be cheaper to buy a small electric fan or oil filled rad .. but on a wild camp the gas heating blower fan will kill the battery .. fast! .. so get the duvet sorted out..

Jim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp

thanks for the help guys

Paul

I would suggest fitting a second leisure battery.

A standard camping kettle for the gas ring, is what I use, and a low wattage travel kettle on EHU. Anything above 1500watts can blow the trip on a 6amp or less EHU.

I've found that carpets will get dirty no matter what you do (Why do they fit biege)

A ground sheet is useful, when on a site.

Get a plastic (grass effect is best) door mat for wiping your feet. Don't leave it outside at night or if out, as it probably won't be there when you get back or wake up in the morning.

Leaving the gas heating on is OK but it does dry the air and can get stuffy without leaving a roof vent open. I use a 1kw fan heater when on EHU.

Pete:Cool:

Upvote 0

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
It is OK to leave gas heating on overnight, but for safetys sake have your appliancies checked out and fit a carbon monoxide alarm.

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We have a small oil-filled radiator which we leave on overnight when away during colder months - typically January/February. We make sure we have EHU in those months ::bigsmile: We've never needed overnight heating at other times of the year. Mind you we only have a small coachbuilt not a bus :roflmto:

As there are only the two of us a small electric kettle is fine for when on EHU. We bought an ordinary whistling kettle for use on the gas. No point in buying larger ones than you really need as they only take up more cupboard space.

Graham

Upvote 0

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
Do I need a special kettle or just buy 1 from argos like i would use at home ( going to do some wild camping so not always on hook up) or should I get a gas heated one

You will need both - whistling kettle for gas and a three or four amp one for the mains

We have "wooden" floor with carpet over the top. Gets pretty grotty on muddy pitches but seems to recover with a swish over using a decent rechargeable vacuum cleaner. We can't be bothered with the ritual of taking shous off, bringing them inside so the dogs don't chew them, storing them somewhere you don't break your neck tripping over them and then finding something else to slip in to keep your feet warm

Will save tracking a lot of stuff in and protects the grass underneath it. Get something perforated and non-slip

Why not? We have an LPG alarm down near the floor and a smoke/CO one up near the ceiling. On EHU you can use a small fan heater for quick response (and a bit of masking noise) or an oil-filled. Again, needs to be around 1000 watts so you can run kettle and heater together.

Never a truer word spoken

Upvote 0

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
Did I read somewhere that Webasto do a diesel fuel heater which uses the engine fuel supply and would be cheaper, safer, and more efficient than any of the other methods of heating, or have I misunderstood :Smile:

Upvote 0

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
I leave the carpet at home and have some loose mats which are easy to clean. Don't forget wooley hats. even if you have a good duvet you lose 10% heat through our head. I never leave the heat on at night as once snuggled down we don't need it. You'll learn as you go on as we have Good Luck::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
we have both gas and electric heating......convection and/or blownair.
if on hookup i tend to leave it on electric if needed.

our kettle is a small 800w jobby....just enough water for two decent sized cups. takes a while to boil though. normally use the wistleing billy on the gas hob.

we have a 'moroccan' style straw mat outside. seems to keep most of the muck out

Upvote 0

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
Webasto and others produce a blown air heater. Have one in my bus back home. Noisier than the truma gas one though

Thing I don't like about turning the heat off at night - apart from waking up in a refrigerator of course - is that often there is condensation dripping off the ceiling and running down the walls and windows.. The cost of a kilo of gas is worth it for the comfort of waking up to warmth. Less chance of pipes freezing as well
Does need a bit of extra battery capacity though - not a problem if you travel every day

Upvote 0

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Did I read somewhere that Webasto do a diesel fuel heater which uses the engine fuel supply and would be cheaper, safer, and more efficient than any of the other methods of heating, or have I misunderstood :Smile:

I had a similar system diesel in my Autosleeper Symbol. It was made by Eberspacher and it worked well as a heater.

However the noise from the burner and fan was very intrusive inside and the noise from the silencer was very intrusive outside. I found it totally unusable at night.

As it was impossible to measure the relatively small amount of diesel used each night it was impossible to determine whether it was more cost efficient than gas or electric heating.

With this type of system there was no need to keeping changing gas bottles, filling the fuel tank was a much simpler process.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back