LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
At last count there are five us heading for Morocco just about now. We are serviced, tested, packed and re-packed. We have enough soup to survive the blitz. Leaving tomorrow, stay 2 nights in Densole then Calais early Sunday morning.

If we achieve internet on route then we'll post our progress. We might not meet any fellow funsters until Algeciras but who knows. Our last two planned stops are Internacianal Aranjuez then Torre de Mar at Laguna Playa right by the sea, about 100 miles from the meeting outside Algeciras. Looking at Google Earth the final meeting does not want to be any earlier than necessary.

If anyone wants a last bit of class before the crossing, try Link Removed it's past it's prime but it's probably what we would expect of a hotel in Casablanca after watching that film. Something from a different era. And cheap.

Anyone need a hand, in an emergency we will loan you a pack of soup, we are on 07921 620625.

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
enjoy, atlas-dweller and others

tres jealous

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Detourer

Trader - Tour Operator
Jul 30, 2007
Spain and Morocco
Funster No
MH
4x4 OverLander
Exp
20+ years
I hope it is you and 12 others that are heading this way ........... 13 owners on your tour.

Some days away yet but I have just spoken with the Tour Leader of the current Desert Detours group in Morocco and all is going great, including the weather :thumb: They had just left Marrakech, after crossing the Tizzi n Tichka, before heading for Essaouira and the run back to Spain.

I was not scheduled to lead the March tour, which was as it turned out fortunate, as I had a small accident during the Feb tour that resulted in two broken ribs, damaged kidney and spleen………but it only hurts when I laugh……..All is looking good for the week after next though.

I think quite a few are heading for our area [Alhaurin El Grande] a few days earlier and staying at Link Removed so we will check there before the tour.

Are you still heading for Jerez after the tour? I stumbled on the new race track, just south of Marrakech, a few months ago. Marrakech starts the new round of the 2009 FIA WTCC Season by hosting the FIA WTCC in Marrakech on May 3rd. “The Race of Morocco” will become the only African round of any FIA World Championship (F1, WRC, WTCC). It is a truly spectacular track and location between the “Pink City” and snow topped High Atlas. The strong rumor is that it will be a future F1 location.

Reina Cristina Hotel [I know the ex-owners] is Algeciras, not Casablanca......:RollEyes:

Ray

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
Ray I too saw that track in Late December... they had a lot of work left to do !....

will be good to see a race from there

John

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Are you still heading for Jerez after the tour? Ray

No, change of plan. There seemed no solution to properly organised camping there and wife did not want to just try and wild camp.

So.....

We've booked for Goodwood Festival of Speed instead.

navman

Free Member
Jul 1, 2008
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2003
At last count there are five us heading for Morocco just about now. We are serviced, tested, packed and re-packed. We have enough soup to survive the blitz. Leaving tomorrow, stay 2 nights in Densole then Calais early Sunday morning.

If we achieve internet on route then we'll post our progress. We might not meet any fellow funsters until Algeciras but who knows. Our last two planned stops are Internacianal Aranjuez then Torre de Mar at Laguna Playa right by the sea, about 100 miles from the meeting outside Algeciras. Looking at Google Earth the final meeting does not want to be any earlier than necessary.

If anyone wants a last bit of class before the crossing, try Link Removed it's past it's prime but it's probably what we would expect of a hotel in Casablanca after watching that film. Something from a different era. And cheap.

Anyone need a hand, in an emergency we will loan you a pack of soup, we are on 07921 620625.

Cya down there... we are not leaving ( due to work commitments etc) until next Friday.... Hope to be on the Spanish Coast by Monday night.....

Hoping to get to an internet cafe now and again to up date our blog The Big Trip... Morocco 2009

Stay safe....

bob'n'june and the two tiny travelers

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Progress report......

Night 1 - St Maule du Terraine.
Just a town parking lot off the main road. Room for about 10 MHs. Nice and quiet. FREE.

Night 2/3 - Larroutela - just south of St Jean de Luz. Lovely big site. Heated covered pool. Loads of sun tanned Brits heading home. In fact we've seen masses of MHs heading north.

Night 4/5 - Camping Internacional Aranjuez. Typing here now, for €4 a day, sunny. Large site, good shop, bar.

Fuel: Nothern France motorway €1.10+ but Mr Le Clerc saved the day at €0.94. But into Spain and it was immediately €0.84 at Repsol.

Next stop Torre de Mar on Friday. Watch this space.

navman

Free Member
Jul 1, 2008
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2003
Sounds good so far :Smile:... We will be leaving tomorrow evening.... Cya down south

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Have a good time, guys. I will offer up a years free membership for the best photograph in Morocco with a motorhomeFun sticker, pennant or Flyer in it:thumb::thumb:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Have a good time, guys. I will offer up a years free membership for the best photograph in Morocco with a motorhomeFun sticker, pennant or Flyer in it:thumb::thumb:

JIM.....is there no end to your generousity....?????....have a good time guys and stay out of Ricks bar..(of all the gin joints etc.) !!:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :thumb:

landyacht

Free Member
Apr 8, 2008
Funster No
The Moroccan job

Have a great trip have just returned.... if you are travelling through Tanger and have bikes on racks watch out for the young lads who will jump on just as you leave traffic lights trying to releave you of them.

Don't book a meal at the International site in Fez he will try to rip you off better still give Fez a miss camping there is £10 per night Meknes is a much better option £5 per night although basic get a grand taxi into the town total cost 10.Dir about £1.

The best part of our trip was South and east of Agadir....The Beber's friendly and not as much hassel as further north.

Regards:thumb:

Groundhog

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Since 2008
Just arrived in Al Haurin el Grande and the weather has finally changed for the better. Sunny and warm this afternoon here this afternoon and able to sit round the pool with a glass or three. Got a few days to chill out before we all set of on the Moroccan adventure.

Travel safe and see you on Tuesday at the allocated meeting point.

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Have a great time, keep safe but have fun.

We were asked to sell our cycles at least 100 times when were were there.

but no one tried to steal them.

Keep alcohol hidden, as you can get knocked up out of bed for beer, or more so whisky, we never encouraged it, those that did, wondered why they kept knocking at the door all hours.

Regards

Pat

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Closer still.....

Did Aranjuez to Torre de Mar by 15:00. Good free motorway all the way though some extra tarmac would not be missed in some sections. Dropping down from Granada is a visual joy.

Hot now. Pullover filed away.

Camping Laguna Playa: A bit of a parking lot, just 100 or so hard standings. Free WiFi, spotless toilets and halpful staff.

Just 100 or so miles to run to the launch point.

hobbyda

Free Member
Mar 30, 2008
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
25 years
Hi Brian
just signed in to see whats happening! were at Conil de la Frontera (about 60k from meeting place) and looking forward to meeting everyone next Tuesday.
The weather has been kind to us (we have been in Spain since January)
hope you have a safe last leg! you can put the jumper in the bottom of the draw!! until we get to the High Atlas (this is our first trip so quite excited!!)
have met Andy & Netty from Motorhome . net on the way, they have given us lots of tips!!
see you soon Andrea & Dennis

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
(this is our first trip so quite excited!!)
see you soon Andrea & Dennis

Same here. Perfect here for us to get used to the idea of WARM. And SUN, guess who forgot that you need sun cream down here. Just call me Rudolf.

Only problem generally are the prices. Everything UK or dearer apart from diesel at about €0.85.

Conile, if I remember correctly is the place of a million windmills and wind to match. Very impressive.

navman

Free Member
Jul 1, 2008
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2003
I have updated the blog a bit.... photos to follow ..; we are having a great time. Currently at Chefchaouen... off to the forest camp tomorrow.

Anyone thinking of doing this trip... Go For It....

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Anyone thinking of doing this trip... Go For It....

Without doubt - a huge success. Now near Almieria and sad to be heading home.

For a start we had 13 well matched p1ss takers and RAY. P1ss taker on a professional level, so un-PC not one comment from him would be allowed on The Dark Side. A supreme showman.

Debbie, well, power behind the throne, how does she cope and remain for ever cheerful ? The unsung heroin of DD.

The most outstanding memory, kids. Little 6/7 year olds, miles, and I mean miles, from anywhere walking to/from school and with a big grin and friendly wave as we passed. Now that is the sign of top class society. Who here would let one of theirs walk a main road miles from home ?

So am I happy with the trip - You Bet.

Would I do it again - No Way. Ray gave us a serious look at all that is Morocco. We saw some stunning sights. We as a group just *worked*. Ray the showman guided us and kept us entertained, without him it would not be the same. So it could never be as good second time around.

Worst bits - well Moroccan camp sites are best avoided, we have smelt smells we did not know existed. And sellers, all the time pushing their wares, politely but too persistantly, it was a pain to stop at a viewpoint because one of them would always materialise out of solid rock to thrust something in our faces.

Best bits - too many to log them. Though hearing that Quadman Ray got lost in the dunes on his new toy the Yamaha 750 quad bike, was big grin time.

I'm sure others will be chipping in with their comments when they get back on line.

Groundhog

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Since 2008
Got the ferry back to Algeciras yesterday after a fantastic trip around Morocco. Some great memories and a bunch of great new friends. I just hope we are able to meet up again at some time in the future.

Currently just north of Almeria at a very nice site in a National Park. 10.50 Euro's a night including electric and free Wi-Fi. (Hilldweller - If you are passing call in and have a beer or 3). Will stay here 4 or 5 nights as there is a basket full of washing to do and the van needs a spring clean to get rid of the sand and other deposits collected in Morocco.

Got another 2 months travelling around Spain and Portugal before returning home at the end of June.

Mike

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Some great memories and a bunch of great new friends. I just hope we are able to meet up again at some time in the future.

(Hilldweller - If you are passing call in and have a beer or 3).
Mike

OK put the thinking cap on - where can the magnificent 13 go next ? 2010, Turkey anyone ? Moscow ?? St Petersburgh ??? Karnac ????

I've met your wife's wine or 3, maybe I'll pass on that :)

Did you get stuck in those road works south of Tetoun ? That was mind focussing - I was running the hill, all wet on polished tarmac, a bit of wheel spin in 3rd and then hit the jack-knifed tanker problem. I just and only just got moving again with a very sensitive right foot.

Hell of a trip.

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Without doubt - a huge success. Now near Almieria and sad to be heading home.

Did Almeria to PenisCola - nice holiday resort for the Spanish, council car park, €8, spotless toilets and shower, secure.

Then on to Argles Plage. It's grown since we were here 20 years ago but the town is still tourist trap cute. Prices - well we really do seem to tbe the really poor Brits, €8 for a pouli-roti in a supermarket !!

Next - Millau. I'm going to climb the tall tower and paint a Union Flag on it. Maybe. Depends if I packed the right paint.

navman

Free Member
Jul 1, 2008
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2003
Just arrived at home in the UK... and the house seems SO big.... ( only a two bed cottage!!)

We had a fantastic trip ( blog will be updated over the next few days and links to some of the 3000 phots we took too) and we met some great folks.... Thanks for such a wonderful time...

Would we go again.... Most certainly yes and are already looking to book the Discovery tour which I think Ray and Debbie run.... is that the correct name Ray?:Smile:

As to next year Hilldwelller we are looking at Chamonix for a few days and then a week or so at Lake Annecy for the girls....

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
As to next year Hilldwelller we are looking at Chamonix for a few days and then a week or so at Lake Annecy for the girls....

What lovely girls they are too. It was a great pleasure to have them with us.

Last year part of the journey was Garda, Chamonix, Annecy.

No camparison I'm afraid. Annecy is a pretty town but nothing after Garda. I suggest you take the plunge ( expensive ) go through the tunnel and let them experience Maggiore. Somewhere near Stresa then you've got Italy, the Borrameo Islands and magnificent Villa Taranto gardens to really give them a treat.

navman

Free Member
Jul 1, 2008
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2003
Good Idea Brian I will have a look at the Italian option... do want them to go to Chamonix though...

Thanks for the comments about the girls... Amy is still talking about you taking her shoes off in the restaurant... :roflmto:

Where were you both on the 27th when the 'naughty group' left...Essaouira?

Just noticed that a lot of the phots did not upload to the blog so off to do that now

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Thanks for the comments about the girls... Amy is still talking about you taking her shoes off in the restaurant... :roflmto:

Where were you both on the 27th when the 'naughty group' left...Essaouira?

The less said about what went on in that restaurant the better - negatives are worth a fortune.

We left with the rest - only about two left when we departed - ghost town. We ended up a bit north of Rabat then got afternoon ferry next day. No problem at all getting out of Morocco. Got to La Linea and had an evening meal in Gibraltar.

navman

Free Member
Jul 1, 2008
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2003
Updated the blog now... sorry about the formatting... a conflict between Google and MS i feel

The Big Trip... Morocco 2009

again I cannot stress how much we all enjoyed the trip..... we will be back Ray and Debbie in 2013 ...... you have been warned....:winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back