The Man in The Next Bed......... (1 Viewer)

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
Ah ha!! so that was YOU then! charming!! There I was laying in my Hospital bed (in agony) and in comes this stroppy bloke, probably ex military, (and only in for some cosmetic Bugle tuning) I could tell by the way he starts complaining about only having 'one' chair and having to give it up for his distraught wife. I tried to interact and put him at ease with some serious topical issues whilst trying to draw the attention to a nurse that she hadn't stirred my tea quite enough, when he goes Berserk!! and tells ME!! to STFU:eek:!! Well realy!!:confused:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Is this just an english thing or a new fancy ward thing? Was the tv just for your use or the whole wards?
Anyway good to see your back home and posting, hope your growing stronger each day.

Individual sets & extremely expensive.

Welcome back Tootles. Yes, I think that all hospitals are like that. Been in myself & it was the same & that was 40 years ago.
When father was in it was similar & the wife last year. Lot of funny/sad/mad/dangerous people about.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Been through it many times. The first time i had an op in the Liverpool Royal........OMG! What an eye opener that place!
It is appalling to say the least! A bit like a multi storey car park with beds and windows.
Led to the ward, and my bed, and feeling like a fish out of water, the scouser in the next bed said, "put the legs of your bed in your slippers, or they will be gone in the morning"..Oh Please!!

Craig

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
@Tootles, and you want us all to believe that you didn't drive anyone nuts........ yeah right

Now here is someone I wouldn't want to be in the same ward as.
DAWNB.jpg

Oh, and get well soon

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Been through it many times. The first time i had an op in the Liverpool Royal........OMG! What an eye opener that place!
It is appalling to say the least! A bit like a multi storey car park with beds and windows.
Led to the ward, and my bed, and feeling like a fish out of water, the scouser in the next bed said, "put the legs of your bed in your slippers, or they will be gone in the morning"..Oh Please!!

Craig
I visited our UK head office in Ellesmere Port some time ago and was showing the new iPad to one of my friends. Went to visit the gents and came back to find the iPad case on the desk, empty but propped up with a pencil eraser at each corner! Wonderful Scouse humour - really funny. iPad got a good price on eBay as well (y)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Is this just an english thing or a new fancy ward thing? Was the tv just for your use or the whole wards?
Anyway good to see your back home and posting, hope your growing stronger each day.

Patient Line stuff in a lot of hospitals in Scotland as well. You have to register to use them, radio is free but you pay for tv and there is supposed to be internet but that is hot and miss and a lot of sites are out of bounds - including hobby sites such as needlecraft!!!!! I refused to register - no guarantee your details would be secure.

Do they still do mixed wards, or is that when you go in for "the operation"? ;)

Still mixed wards for some things.... was in a mixed ward last time with men (not gentlemen either) each side of me. I was not a happy bunny, total lack of privacy as the curtains didn't even close. I don't want to see other people on the comode :(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

barearse

Free Member
Dec 31, 2012
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Just starting
Welcome back Tootles. I have been fortunate in that I was always the visitor and never the patient. With several family members with health issues and elderly parents, I have spent many months observing at close hand...That is until last autumn when I became an internee in my own right. I think sometimes ignorance IS bliss. I tell myself that one day, I too will write a book! Speedy recovery mate!;)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Once I was in hospital and one of the guys would do a slow strip, pee on the floor and then get into bed with any female patient. Yuck. Most nights there was a male nurse on duty to deal with him but one night only two small lady nurses who were totally overpowered. In fact I was so concerned I would wake up after my op and find him in my bed I cancelled my procedure.

Found out later another patient had called the police and the man had been taken to a secure unit.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Patient Line stuff in a lot of hospitals in Scotland as well. You have to register to use them, radio is free but you pay for tv and there is supposed to be internet but that is hot and miss and a lot of sites are out of bounds - including hobby sites such as needlecraft!!!!! I refused to register - no guarantee your details would be secure.

Still mixed wards for some things.... was in a mixed ward last time with men (not gentlemen either) each side of me. I was not a happy bunny, total lack of privacy as the curtains didn't even close. I don't want to see other people on the comode :(
It was not seeing them on the comode I found to be the problem but .........:sick:

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
I've had quite a few small stays in hospitals all in Edinburgh but have had 2 fortnight stays both positive experiences. The last one in 2010, I had 1 week in single room with tele then moved to ward with 6 women, we did have a laugh with the wonderful staff.

May 13, 2014
Maldon
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2002
Try Italy for hospital experience. Woke up first morning with a little old priest at the bedside muttering away. I thought I was getting the Last Rites then realised that he was just praying for a speedy recovery. No curtains around the beds so a "dump" was a public experience. Signs on the walls saying that your confidentiality is respected :) God Bless the NHS.
Glad to hear you are recovering Tootles I don't post much but always enjoy your post.
Solly

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Oh Toots - such a shame - had I had forewarning of recent happenings I'm sure I could have sneaked you some insulin and a couple of nice sterile syringes in to use at your discretion (Also have a theory on where the best place on the body would be to inject it, to avoid detection. These things do cross your mind you know! But not going public with that I don't think LOL)

I think they might have to give me a private room actually if I had to go in - I snore very very loudly - apparently! Not to worry, doesn't disturb my sleep .......

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Welcome back Toots.

I've got a saying; "Hospital is NOT the place to be when you're sick!"
This is based on both being an in-patient myself, AND ferrying people in and out of damned hospitals for 30 years in my previous line of work.

D'you know the type that really pisses me off? The 'professional patient'. Here's how they start.....

"New are we? Anything you want to know, just ask ol' Tom"
"I'm a miracle man, me...oh yes"
"I've been under the knife so many times, Sheffield almost ran out of steel"
"DIED on the table three times y'know. 'Course they brought me back. Doc said I'm a marvel"
" Student doctors? They LOVE me. They're welcome round my bed any time. My condition foxes 'em all"

At this stage, with his arse hanging out of his NHS gown, he proceeds to give a guided tour of his scars!

Not happy with that, he then lists all his med's - mostly getting the names wrong....
"Had a rip-roaring infection after me last Op'. Had to go on Penycillian....... Those Stereo tablets make me put on weight too, but who cares, at least I'm around eh? EH?"

And so it goes on. He's the first one at 6am to say 'MORNING - you're awake then?' and the last thing you hear at night; until, that is, you lose the will to live!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back