The Lodge CL : web site critique please. (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Jim looks very good to me ::bigsmile: perhaps you can start up as a web designer?

Colchester has quite a bit of Roman history, the castle is built on the remains of a Roman temple, and last year they discovered a Ben Hur style race track.

Olley

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Good point Keith ..

however, if your using a tabbed browser the links open in new tabs, but I appreciate that not everyone has or uses tabbed browsing.

I was thinking ( as Jim suggested ) to have a Handy Links page rather than have the links on buttons..

cheers

jim

I like it the way you have it Jim. I'm not a great fan of links pages (just me I guess) it adds another page that has to load before you get to where you hope you are going.

I have been following this thread closely as I also have tried my hand at web mastering & picked up some good pointers from the funsters. :thumb:

Keith

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
Very well done Jim. All the info required is there and easy to find. Only critisism is how the photo's are viewed. Could they not be done like on the forum, where you click on the thum nail to enlarge the photo amd click on the photo to return to the thumb nail.

Andy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
The Lodge CL

Hi Jim

Just re visited your efforts and all I can say is "very well done":thumb:

I scrolled without any problems, and the content is the best. no RV in the pic's!!

One photo, the property, had, on my view, either a black barrier tape across it, or a black line across the photo, or a fault on my download, other than that its great.

Very well done

Nomadic

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
Just had another look, and got to say well done Jim:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Andy

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Thanks Andy and Nomadic ..

Although quite busy during the Summer it is under used during the rest of the year.. let's hope they can generate more business by getting their web site listed on as many data bases and forums as possible..

Small sites like this need our support, they may not have all the bells and whistles but what they do offer is a peaceful location, reasonable prices, a relaxed atmosphere and a warm personal welcome.. but if we don't use .. we will ultimate lose ..

This is great little site that deserves not only to survive but to thrive .. IMO CL and CS sites offer the best value for money .. on a par or better than many aires and municipals in France.

Jim

Caggsie

Free Member
Feb 15, 2009
N Wales
Funster No
Exp
2 yrs
fab improvements, Like the colour scheme.

My only comment is that maybe photos should have area name as you hover over them ie Barn, the copse area rather than just the DCS<number>.jpg.

Excellent Jim:thumb:

Cags

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Just a thought Jim, we have a links page and it does generate hits and don't know if you have linked it to a statcounter like StatCounter Free invisible Web tracker, Hit counter and Web stats to show where your hits are comming from ie motorhome fun, caravan club or the likes of other forums.
You have made a very good job :thumb:

Thanks.. hadn't thought of that .. :Doh:

nor have I listed that it has a FREE WIFI .. :Doh::Doh::Doh:

:roflmto:

Jim

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
fab improvements, Like the colour scheme.

My only comment is that maybe photos should have area name as you hover over them ie Barn, the copse area rather than just the DCS<number>.jpg.

Excellent Jim:thumb:

Cags

Thanks.. will have a look at doing that .. :thumb:

jim

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Good job Jim.

It's quicker to load now and I like the colour better, more relaxing than the Black.

As you say a few more tweaks & you should be there.

Keith

Last edited:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Well I have just had a look to see how you have changed it and WOW it is a very good site - down loads fairly quickly even through laptop and mobile phone - fantastic. IMO the CL's and CS's not only offer good vakue for money they invariably are far more welcoming than many Club sites are - far more relaxing and as we always tell them we are a 5'er and will be 40ft on arrival have never had anything but a friendly response. Certainly we have put this one in favourites for when we are Colchester way.

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
I didn't see the site as it was a work in progress, but just viewed it now and it's great.:thumb: Has everything you need to know. Very user friendly. I think more CL's should set up web pages, even if they're only very basic. We use CL's all the time now and it would help us in our choice if there are lots fairly close together.

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
Just had a fresh look ,Jim.

Wow what a change!

Bright and cheerful first page with the all important big picture of the site to set the scene. The black type is much easier to read. The photos are much clearer in this new size.

You have done a fantastic job for this CL site.

Still think a few bright red and yellow bedding plants in tubs or boxes at the entrance would make it visually more attractive- eye candy!
Lucille

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Oh boy....

What a difference a day makes......
24 little hours.

I could go into song about this one.

It's BRIGHT, it's happy, it makes me want to go there.

Now you can see why some of my mates in IT have had to turn to bus driving to earn a crust.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi Jim

Have just had a second look at the site, I thought it was good to start with but with the improvements you have made since it looks a very creditable job. You can now add this to your CV.:thumb::thumb:

Great job bet they are pleased, I know I would be.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Just had a fresh look ,Jim.

Wow what a change!

Bright and cheerful first page with the all important big picture of the site to set the scene. The black type is much easier to read. The photos are much clearer in this new size.

You have done a fantastic job for this CL site.

Still think a few bright red and yellow bedding plants in tubs or boxes at the entrance would make it visually more attractive- eye candy!
Lucille

Thanks Lucille .. I was only just talking to Caron today about boxes and hanging baskets .. she agrees..
Last year she spend a small fortune on bedding plants and had boxes around the site but the rabbits ate the lot :roflmto: and the hanging baskets got scorched :Doh:

It's a lot of work keeping a site attractive and both have full time jobs, running the CL takes up the rest of their free time.. but it is always tidy, well mown and the rubbish removed daily .. flowers would be the icing on the cake
What a difference a day makes......
24 little hours.

I could go into song about this one.

It's BRIGHT, it's happy, it makes me want to go there.

Now you can see why some of my mates in IT have had to turn to bus driving to earn a crust.

Thanks Brian ..

maybe you will pay them a visit one day.. :thumb:

cheers

Jim

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Wow Jim

I too looked yesterday but todays version is great - Bright Sunny and yes it would make us want to visit if we were wanting a site near Colchester. Good job done there.

Sonja

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Jim

I was talking to a warden on a site that was troubled with rabbits eating the plants, and he had found that he got the best results using 1/2 barrels on end that the rabbits could not reach in to, with mesh for the plants to grow through. he seemed to be getting good results.
Just thought it might help your friends.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Jim

I was talking to a warden on a site that was troubled with rabbits eating the plants, and he had found that he got the best results using 1/2 barrels on end that the rabbits could not reach in to, with mesh for the plants to grow through. he seemed to be getting good results.
Just thought it might help your friends.

I can think of 1/2 barrels that would stop the rabbits eating the plants:Eeek:

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
Just been back for a look - WOW what a difference - well done Jim.

That should bring in some punters.

Did I miss the captions on the photos? or have you decided against that?

I only ask because I am not sure about the one showing someones front door - I assume it is 'reception' but you can never be sure when arriving at a new location. You know the feeling SWMBO is saying 'are you sure this is it', the guy behind just wants you out of the way, the dogs have started their 'let me out ahm burstin' routine and you are anticipating that first G&T (very scottish) of the day.

At least everyone on this site knows about that CL so some trade should come from that!

Well done again.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Just been back for a look - WOW what a difference - well done Jim.

That should bring in some punters.

Did I miss the captions on the photos? or have you decided against that?

I only ask because I am not sure about the one showing someones front door - I assume it is 'reception' but you can never be sure when arriving at a new location. You know the feeling SWMBO is saying 'are you sure this is it', the guy behind just wants you out of the way, the dogs have started their 'let me out ahm burstin' routine and you are anticipating that first G&T (very scottish) of the day.

At least everyone on this site knows about that CL so some trade should come from that!

Well done again.

Hi Thanks

the pics are all views of the CL , so didn't bother naming, but may do that later.. the building is The Lodge, home of the owners, Caron and Paul..

Once again, thanks for every ones help in getting it right ..

it's very encouraging.. might take it up as a retirement hobby :Smile:

jim

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi Jim

Just had a look at the revised site. Its brilliant. It gives all of the info that we would want and a bit more. Its colourful and cheerfull. We would visit.

Well Done

Cheers
Jim
:thumb:

RichardnGill

Free Member
Sep 22, 2007
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We were just looking for a site close to the Zoo as we are planning a trip there later in the year

So the website has already got them one customer.

Thanks Rich...

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
We were just looking for a site close to the Zoo as we are planning a trip there later in the year

So the website has already got them one customer.

Thanks Rich...

Hi Rich

just saw your post ,hope you enjoy your stay ..

you are the second new customer since they had the web site .. :Smile:

Cheers Jim

Last edited:
OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
New Toilet Block

Apologies for revisiting an old thread .. but thought it worth bringing it to the attention of new Funsters and to announce that Caron and Paul have recently added new toilet facilities at the Cl.

If your thinking of visiting Colchester this CL makes an excellent base, you are assured of a warm and friendly welcome from the owners ..

http://thelodgecl.co.uk/

*I have no financial interest in this CL.

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
As a constructive criticism the choice of colours on the front page is all wrong....there is too much going on. It's quite common for those who try and build web pages to try and make them too eye catching. Think of the KISS principle.

Site loads well, nice use of photographs, clear (except for the colour thing), the colchester zoo and visit colchester could be done in a "Links" section.

Looks good for a visit ::bigsmile:

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Web site looks good Jim well done. :thumb: