The Lodge CL : web site critique please. (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi all

This is the CL we are on in Colchester and the owner asked me if I could do a web site for her, I've only ever made for personal use and was a bit reluctant to take it on.. see what you think.. constructive suggestions welcome.. anything else needed, is it easy to use, load fast .. etc , most importantly would it make you want to visit..

http://www.thelodgecl.co.uk/

thanks for taking the time to look...

Jim

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
Ok Jim, you did ask!

However bear in mind, I could not design a web page to save myself and have no idea how each element interacts with others - I am 'just' a paying customer!

As I scolled down I felt I was descending into a dark place.
How about taking the 'photo' page off and putting the thumbnails down each side of the Home page to give some content there.
I appreciate this may have some bearing on page loading times but you do need to get rid of the dark blank edges
Each picture requires a caption as well to give some relevance to it eg, this is where you go to book in, or, nice house nearby!
On the plus side the text is clear, well written and informative. Maybe a larger font would be even better.
In general I like what I read and will be filling the info away for use if we are in the area.
Sorry if I am not being terribly constructive but as I say I don't know how to make web pages - I just react to them when searching for somewhere to stop.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Seems fine to me Jim.

Loads in good time, and gives a good impression

Could poss need more local info walks, pubs, eats if there sorry did not register.

Apart from this gives the idea of a well run, and an attractive site, and would use if that way,

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Tells the story , perhaps a better mix of photos, links work well. Site looks good value with services included. Is it firm in wet conditions?
I would go there.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Ok Jim, you did ask!

However bear in mind, I could not design a web page to save myself and have no idea how each element interacts with others - I am 'just' a paying customer!

As I scolled down I felt I was descending into a dark place.
How about taking the 'photo' page off and putting the thumbnails down each side of the Home page to give some content there.
I appreciate this may have some bearing on page loading times but you do need to get rid of the dark blank edges
Each picture requires a caption as well to give some relevance to it eg, this is where you go to book in, or, nice house nearby!
On the plus side the text is clear, well written and informative. Maybe a larger font would be even better.
In general I like what I read and will be filling the info away for use if we are in the area.
Sorry if I am not being terribly constructive but as I say I don't know how to make web pages - I just react to them when searching for somewhere to stop.

Thanks.. very much appreciated will take on board your suggestions..

(says he pulling his hair out ) :roflmto:

cheers

jim

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Tells the story , perhaps a better mix of photos, links work well. Site looks good value with services included. Is it firm in wet conditions?
I would go there.

Thanks, the owner is putting in hard standings for next season, in saying that, the ground is now like concrete and the grass going brown.. has been hard since Easter.. but it could get difficult if there was a long prolonged wet period.. phoning before visiting would be advised.

jim

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Jim,

Have had a look the only comments I have are:

1. There is no page giving tarriff and facilities information.

2. How do you get back to the home page if you look at the pictures without paging paging back through all of the ones you have looked at. Should you have a return to pictures or home?

3. The site looks good to me and loads fast on IE8

Hope this is useful

Lunarman

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi all
, most importantly would it make you want to visit..

thanks for taking the time to look...

Jim

Photos aren't up to much and I could not get off the photo page. Also very slow.

Try 2 I did get off the photos page but you really need a BACK or EXIT or CLOSE option.

Fine, just get some appealing photos without snow.

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
The Lodge CL

Hi Jim

Just had a look, and I would have liked either a boulder font or slightly larger.

Is there a bus stop local to the site, or did I miss it.

Availability of Park and Ride, would also be worth including if not to far away.

I found it works well

Nomadic

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Well done I like it, informative and eyecatching says all you need to know.
Now you need to get it on the search engines. :thumb:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
1. There is no page giving tarriff and facilities information.

2. How do you get back to the home page if you look at the pictures without paging paging back through all of the ones you have looked at. Should you have a return to pictures or home?

Tariff is on the home page: maybe needs to be bolder..
on the photos page, when looking at a pic, click the photo button to return to photo page and menu

Photos aren't up to much and I could not get off the photo page. Also very slow.

Try 2 I did get off the photos page but you really need a BACK or EXIT or CLOSE option.

Fine, just get some appealing photos without snow.

Ok, better photos and a back button .. don't know why it's slow Brian .. I'm on a 3 dongle and it's quite fast ..

Hi Jim

Just had a look, and I would have liked either a boulder font or slightly larger.

Is there a bus stop local to the site, or did I miss it.

Availability of Park and Ride, would also be worth including if not to far away.

I found it works well

Nomadic

Thanks.. will add that info ,,

bolder and bigger font seems to be the main thing...

Cheers all

Jim

Last edited:
OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Well done I like it, informative and eyecatching says all you need to know.
Now you need to get it on the search engines. :thumb:

thanks... but wouldn't know where to start .. I'll leave that to the CL owner :roflmto:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Jim, I like it, nice clean lines and very business like. However, IMO there is too much info on the front page and removing some would give it more impact. Remove the Zoo and Colchester Links from the Nav menu. As they stand I feel these have far to much prominence and will lead to clicks away from the site.

I would get the "Things to see and do" text onto its own link and expand it to include the Zoo and Colchester links on a page on its own, make sure that the external links open on a new page, so the site page stays open.

I feel the front page body should just have the name/logo a good picture and 4 or five lines of description; and at the very bottom the address and telephone number. Ideally this should all fit on a page no higher than 768 pixels, (so there will be no need to scroll)
Any other info should be on its own page with a link in your main navbar. This means it will load quick and show people exactly what they are about. If they are interested then they can click the other links in your navbar.

When designing its a good idea to check the site at 1024x768 resolution as believe it or not this is how 85% of people will see your site.

Great effort Jim, much better than my first attempt just over a couple of years ago:thumb:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Agree with all comments so far would also add Electric Hook up ?? if so what amps
possible Long and Lat - what max size of unit can they take - any probs with 5'ers seeing I have one !! TV reception distance to shops / spar etc

Most people have to pay a lot of money for a web site as good as this !!

Just been back on and looks like I have made the same mistake as one or two others - the way the home page is laid out as it loads it gives the impression that that is it and in fact as you scroll down there is a mine of information - perhaps this should be on a separate page or some indication that you should scroll down

Last edited:

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
Hi again Jim,
One thing we are all learning from this is that there will always be some people who don't see the information on the page!

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Agree with all comments so far would also add Electric Hook up ?? if so what amps
possible Long and Lat - what max size of unit can they take - any probs with 5'ers seeing I have one !! TV reception distance to shops / spar etc

Most people have to pay a lot of money for a web site as good as this !!

Just been back on and looks like I have made the same mistake as one or two others - the way the home page is laid out as it loads it gives the impression that that is it and in fact as you scroll down there is a mine of information - perhaps this should be on a separate page or some indication that you should scroll down

Thanks

I'm busy updating so maybe it will be easier to read .. bigger font etc

there is a 34ft 5er on site at the mo..

also added a new information page

bear with me.. I'm a virgin writer :roflmto:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
In my comments above I can't believe I forgot to mention about placing a big prominent link to Motorhomefun on the front page:Smile: Not like me::bigsmile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
As of 20:00.....

On my screen the front page needs cutting below Elsan point to keep it all on my screen, also space it better. So separate direction page.

Photo is broken, I get stuck flicking between the lodge and a snowy RV.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
In my comments above I can't believe I forgot to mention about placing a big prominent link to Motorhomefun on the front page:Smile: Not like me::bigsmile:

I'll speak to the CL owner .. :winky:
As of 20:00.....

On my screen the front page needs cutting below Elsan point to keep it all on my screen, also space it better. So separate direction page.

Photo is broken, I get stuck flicking between the lodge and a snowy RV.

still busy Brian .. it's slow to upload the changes

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
that looks good Jim a good internet page makes you want to know and read more well done:thumb:

nozzmoking

Free Member
Jul 31, 2008
West Berkshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Jim,

Agree with most of the earlier comments especially having 'tariffs' in the menu, in case people miss having to scroll for the info on the home page.

The 'Out an About' link takes you to 'Webserver technical notes and webmaster guide' at 1sthost.org.

When on the photos page, I think renaming 'photos' to 'home' would help people to navigate away from the photos page, unless you got the photos to open up in a separate window.

Looking good though. :thumb:

Paul

P.S. FireFox 3.5 used.

Caggsie

Free Member
Feb 15, 2009
N Wales
Funster No
Exp
2 yrs
as of 8.50, direction link took me to Link Removed and couldn't get back to site with back button. had to relaod from link - Same with piccies page, once I clicked on piccie in snow had to go bak to link to relaod page.

Hope this is of help. Trying to write response whilst looking.

regards

Karen

sostas

Free Member
Nov 16, 2007
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Hi Jim,
Have just seen your post after a weekend away.
I liked the home page - nice picture, gave tarrif and facilities. (I liked the price!)
Noticed that electricity was metered but no charge given.
The pictures need captions.
When I tried the Directions and Out & About links I was directed to "ifastnet.com" on the three attempts on each - but perhaps you are still working on this? So I am unable to comment on this information.
Regards Sostas :Smile:

Caggsie

Free Member
Feb 15, 2009
N Wales
Funster No
Exp
2 yrs
tried again

These` links go to as per previous post

Directions to Link Removed

Photos left - right top

1st photo worked
2nd link worked
3rd - to Link Removed

Photos left - right bottom

1st photo to Link Removed
2nd photo to Link Removed
3rd photo to Link Removed

Out and about to Link Removed
Map worked
Contacts page worked
Zoo worked
Visit colchester worked
Join CC worked.

Whilst bobbing in and out pages went white - but poss due to you working on them.

regards

Karen

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Thanks for comments... I'm still busy uploading ..

I'll let you know when I'm done

Cheers

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
Good job, Jim.
It's very stylish and clear.
I agree about the photos, you need the navigation on the photo page so as not to get stuck and captions to explain the photos.
The photos are not visually eye catching. It would be more striking if the owner could take a photo of an area with some colourful hanging baskets or tubs of bright bedding plants, next to the name of the site. Put this on the home page.
Agree that it's better not to have to scroll down on the first page- put the tarif on a dedicated page.
It seems,however,very reasonably priced and we would go there.
Lucille

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Thanks to all who posted with suggestions, a worth while exercise.

after battling with a slow internet last night I have managed to implement a few ..

* Shorter front page with less info

* New Directions page

* New Out and About page

* Variable pages width

* Larger font

Will consult the CL owner about changing or adding pictures.

Many thanks

Jim

Last edited:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Looks good Jim.

My only suggestion would be to indicate that going onto the Zoo & CC pages will open a new page. People may think they have been sent to another page & may look for a back button.
I have also seen other sites that state "use your browser back button to return to our site"

Keith

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Looks good Jim.

My only suggestion would be to indicate that going onto the Zoo & CC pages will open a new page. People may think they have been sent to another page & may look for a back button.
I have also seen other sites that state "use your browser back button to return to our site"

Keith

Good point Keith ..

however, if your using a tabbed browser the links open in new tabs, but I appreciate that not everyone has or uses tabbed browsing.

I was thinking ( as Jim suggested ) to have a Handy Links page rather than have the links on buttons..

cheers

jim

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back